What is the purpose and function of a Troop Committee?

Rick and Beavah's answers say most of it for me.

I would submit, given the high prices of fuel, the Committee Chair, working with the SPL through the SM, needs to help the PLC understand money does not grow on trees.

The purpose of a Troop Committee is to keep BSA Troops adult-led.

In Baden-Powell's definition of "Scouting," the Patrol Leaders literally run the Troop through their "Court of Honor" (what we call the PLC).

There is no "committee" of non-camping mommy and daddy experts, Boards of Review, Scoutmaster Conferences, "Scout Spirit" adult wild cards, or Position of Responsibly advancement requirements to encourage the rapid turn-over of young, inexperienced Patrol Leaders (aka the "controlled failure 'leadership' training" Troop Method).

Baden-Powell's Rules on How to Play the Game of Scouting for Boys.

http://inquiry.net/traditional/por/index.htm

A typical boy-run committee meeting:

http://inquiry.net/patrol/court_honor/coh_session.htm

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

Yes Kudu, you are right about how it was but your way off base on the purpose of a Troop copmmittee and I am calling you out on it. I take offense that you would make such an offensive statement when you do not know me and my committee but you make an accusation like that. Yes, Baden powell did it differently but he also did it without the benefits of telephones, electronics, quick worldwide travel and all of the fundamental issues that come with "progress". He did not deal with widespread child abuse and sexual explotation, rampant drive by shootings and criminals who could dissappear easily so they had no fear of committing a crime. In those days if you were caught you were lucky to get away whole if you hurt somebodies child. Now you get treatment and get to try and do it again. In those days it was no trouble to find a meeting place or get to places you may want to experience. Today that involves money, logistics and possibly even passports (yes, I have taken Scouts out of the country). It is really stupid to suggest that the way it was done 100 years ago is the way it should be done now and it is even more idiotic to make accusations about people you do not even know.

Why attack people for doing what they are supposed to. I have lost any respect I had for you. It isn't right to accuse people of doing wrong like you have when they are not. I think you are missing a huge part of what this program is about and why we do it. This is not supposed to Baden Powells Scouting, this is the Boy Scouts of America and from the very begining we have steadfactly ignored parts of Baden powells program. Does that mean you are condeming all BSA from the beginingg because it isn't pure and has evolved with society? If it is not the way you say it must be then it is wrong? Maybe you just don't understand how it is "supposed" to work and so you lashed out and attacked the committees. There are lots of trolls around and that was a very trollish comment.

I don't understand why you are so upset, Hawkrod. We agree completely:

A BSA Scout Troop is Adult-Run with a Purpose. :)

To answer Buffalo Skipper's question in the parent thread: The purpose and function of a Troop Committee is to keep a BSA Troop run by a bunch of mommies and daddies who don't go camping. The Scoutmaster and his assistants can offer advice but they do not get a vote.

In Baden-Powell's program the Troop is run by a committee of Patrol Leaders. The Scoutmaster and his assistants can offer advice but they do not get a vote.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

I don't agree with you at all. In fact, I would prefer to be on the opposite side just based on your offensive position. And I am obviously offended when you say "The purpose and function of a Troop Committee is to keep a BSA Troop run by a bunch of mommies and daddies who don't go camping." as I am on my second summer campout starting today so as a committee member I do camp (as do msot of our committee but not all but the purpose is not as you say and I consider your "interpretation" a boldface lie and a Scout should never do that. The purpose of the committee is as I said it is. We make sure it happens safely or does not happen because it is not possible. It has nothing to do with control or being adult led, it has only one concept, teaching the boys to do it right. I can't imagine why you keep sticking to the idea that we have to do it Baden Powell's way when the BSA never has from the very begining. I think it is you trying to wrest control from the boys and dictating how they need to do it. It is your opinion and it is not factual and I think you are wrong, VERY wrong. Your idea of how we should be doing it does not benefit the youth in any way beyond the fact that they would have a lot of fun while getting into trouble and injuring themselves. You seem to be dictating that any rules that the committee has is unreasonable. I think your nuts. The committee has to tell the boys they have to raise the money if they want to do something, you seem to prefer that the boys do whatever it takes to get the money so they can do whatever they want so you would forgo any rules or laws just because they are boys right? How is that helpful? The boys want to sell food at a local event, a bake sale as it were. The committee is responsible to make the boys aware that the law requires a food handling permit and a license. How is that wrong? How do you expect the boys to be experts in all things from the get go? Somebody has to tell the boys they have to look into the requirements. The boys usually don't do that on their own that is for sure. Heck most adults don't comprehend what is required for a lot of the stuff we do including teh best Scoutmasters so as a committee we make sure the boys cover the bases.

I don't read big blocks of text, but I'm sure that you are trying to say:

A BSA Scout Troop is Adult-Run with a Purpose.

(This message has been edited by kudu)

Hawkrod, I have to agree with Kudu your description of the purpose of the committee leads to the adults dictating to the youth on what they can and can't do. This is usually because the adults on the committee don't understand the program.

Lots of committee's want to place restraints on the youth. Restraints like:

Having to change SPL every 6 months.

Having to put up the flags because the CO requires it. Why not just ask the youth 9 times out of 10 they will step up to the plate.

There are many more things I'm sure that we could come up with.

There is nothing done through the committee that could not be done by the youth. This includes BOD's, Finances, Special awards selection, Arranging for transportation, Filling out tour permits, Tracking advancement, and many more things.

The bottom line most committees are made up of adults who want to control the program and dictate to the youth on what they can and can't do. Instead of serving in the role of advisors to help the youth succeed.

Interesting posts. A unit committees purpose is NOT to set program or to interfere in any way in the running of the unit program unless: the unit leaders are violating BSA rules and regs, or violating the goals of the CO for the unit. A committee is there as a check and balance entity making sure all necessary paperwork is submitted timely, to resolve any conflicts that may occur between adult leaders, and adults and youth. A sounding board and support for the CM or SM or CA. Making sure all money and equipment are accounted for to name just a few.

The scouts are far more astute than most scouters allow them to be.

Given the chance, the scouts will display astounding good judgment.

Treat a pre-teen or teen like a Tiger Cub, he'll either quit or start acting like a Tiger Cub.