Just thought that since my other posts seem to deal with problems, I would throw some Happy news out there. Just ordered a bugle from "scoutbugle.com". One of my boys has shown an interest, not sure if because I have been looking into it for myself or just purely on his own. I decided to go ahead and take the leap, and if he takes it up, even better. Cannot wait, I love learning new things. Maybe one of us will be good enough to replace the CD and Boombox they used the few times we have heard bugling.

I was a trumpeter in high school. I did a little bugling on my trumpet when I was an adult leader in the 1980s. One Scout was really interested in being troop bugler and earning the bugling Merit Badge and begged to be able to borrow my trumpet so that he could practice.

That was the last time I saw or heard my trumpet....

That sucks. I believe I'd be knocking on (or down!) someone's door.

I'm an old coronet player and over the past month or so have been brushing up on bugle calls. The mind remembers but the lip is unwilling. Actually, other that taps and reveille, I never played anything else as a Scout. I was never officially a Bugler (our SM was a former Marine and it had a bad association for him -- same with campaign hats) so the only time I ever played was at the odd district camporee.

The troop now has had a bugler fairly consistently for the past few years. We're between them right now. I will occasionally play To the Color for a flag raising, just to set the bar.

Bigbovine, do you or your son play a brass instrument? If not, you've really set up a long putt for yourself. Bugling takes a fairly good trumpet player, usually second or third year. The range on bugle calls is between low C and high G with good control. Learning the calls without the range is going to be difficult.

Public Service Announcement -- anyone with a good bugler should encourage them to register with Bugles Across America -- www.buglesacrossamerica.org . They are a non-profit organization which provides buglers to play at the funerals of U.S. veterans and other events. Once you're registered, when a request comes in, you will get an automatic email request to play. You only respond to the email if you can fill the request.

That's a really great way for a Scout bugler to provide a community service.

Keep you eyes open on ebay, craig's list, etc... there's often some older bugles that pop up for under $25. Then you don't have to worry too much about a valuable one getting banged around, dinged up, or even lost. Let the bugler be responsible for it no different than any other position would be.

My Life-Scout son is a Trumpet player and pretty good. All good musicians are instrument snobs, but his taste is reasonable for HS band/concert.

I bought him a nice bugle... and he plays it for the Troop and my council stuff on occasion.

He has a stirring Taps (hair on the back of your neck raising) , and does pretty well with the rest of the bugle calls just sight reading as he plays.

He took it to staff camp, so maybe he will play it there (I dropped a hint to the Program Director in case he doesn't speak up).

http://scoutbugle.com/Centennial.htm

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

If your nascent bugler is serious about his craft, suggest (birthday present?) he replace the narrow, cheap brasss mouthpiece that came with the bugle with a true trumpet/cornet mouthpiece. The feel will be easier on the lip, and the tone a little clearer, mellower. I bought a Bach 12C for my bugle a loooong time ago and have never regretted it. Some music stores will even let you try them out, the feel can be very personal.

Hope your neighbors enjoy brass music....

AGREE with SSScout! get a decent mouthpiece, it makes a world of difference both in tone and ease of playing. The mouthpieces on most bugles really is poor.

Stosh

I've really enjoyed seeing the resurrgence of bugling interest. My musical background is primarily in low brass (trombone, euphonium and tuba), but I have been known to dabble in the trumpet and cornet. Incidentally, I've also been toying with the idea of purchasing a US Regulation bugle for personal/Troop use.

One of my fondest memories of Scouting was during the summer of 1991 at Skymont Scout Reservation in Tennessee. My troop had an ASM who played trumpet and he volunteered to play "To the Color" each day for our Troop's flag-raising. It still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it!

I would love to have one of our Scouts participate in this time-honored tradition. Check out this US Army website for details on all the relevant bugling details:

http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/

When I entered the troop I am involved with as an adult, there was a young man who was doing all of the bugling. He was really enthusiastic about it, but was a clear beginning musician only a few years into his school music program and needed some help with the calls, as well as some motivation and confidence to use them in troop settings. I worked with him, helped him through the Bugling MB, and just before I had to move away from the area for a time, I managed to find the old troop bugle in the trailer (which had apparently not been used since I was bugler in that troop over a decade prior) and entrusted it to him to use instead of his trumpet.

I had the opportunity to return to a meeting about 9 months later, and to my surprise (and quiet pride), discovered he was receiving an award from the troop that night for doing such a great job reviving the Troop Bugler position. And he's doing more than any bugler I can remember! Proof positive a little nudge can go a long way.

To think Nationals almost axed the merit badge because they thought kids weren't interested anymore...

• 10 months later...

Perhaps old news but good news

From KVAL news

ALBANY, Ore. - When Troop 99 needed a new bugler to wake Scouts with "Reveille" and end the day with "Taps," Eriq Thompson volunteered.

"We needed a new bugler," he told KVAL News. "I said I can do that. I know the trumpet and know music really easily."

His fellow Scout, Corey Clemetsen, caught the bugling bug, too.

"I'd listen to Eric or I'd listen to who the bugler was and then I'd start printing out sheets and learning the music," he said.

Now the two First Class Scouts - Thompson, 15, is also the troop's senior patrol leader; Clemetsen, 14, is the assistant senior patrol leader and trooper scribe - will represent Oregon at Arlington National Cemetary in May for a celebration of the 150th anniversary of "Taps."

"It's a great honor. My grandparents know people that are buried there," Clemetsen said, "and not very many people get to play there. We're going to be, as we know of, the youngest people."

"And we're not military, so that's even bigger," Thompson said, "because usually only the top high quality military people get to play there.

"We're just regular Boy Scouts going there bugling, so that's going to be pretty cool."

Some great photos of both scouts with bugles, trumpets, and sash with Bugling MB

http://www.kval.com/news/local/Were-just-regular-Boy-Scouts-going-there-bugling-144443325.html?tab=gallery&c=y&img=9

My son just started earning his Bugling MB a few weeks ago. He probably won't be playing for the troop for quite some time, but he hopes to eventually. The best thing about this badge is that it isn't easy for him. Most of the other badges are so easy for him, they just don't mean much when he obtains them. This one is going to be a long time coming and he'll be able to be proud of his accomplishment.

I am glad to see this brought back up again. I purchased a Kanstul for the boys after checking around. They haven't started the MB yet, but they have enjoyed blowing it at camp in the mornings. The new boys got to hear it last month and they went nuts. I figure someone will take it up, and that will be well worth the money spent.(I got the Kanstul in case someone got good enough to do ceremony.)

I was troop bugler for a few years, back in the '70s. I have offered to loan my bugle and teach anyone interested in my sons troop. so far no takers. I guess since the younger generation never had it they dont miss it. Sad