Got a call from the SPL requesting that I ask this forum if any troop has developed an E-Chit(p) (Electronic communication and use) program to allow the troop to establish guidlines on proper use of electronics. He is working up a program to teach proper use of electronics in the scouting venue and is looking for ideas and provide a method similar to Totin Chip to monitor it.

thanks in advance

yis

red feather

The PLC is looking for a method of instruction to scouts in the troop as to the proper usage of electronic devices in the scouting venue. Not my words but the SPL and the PLC.

Not sure what you mean by "in the long run or something else." They are looking for input into how to layout a structured program that will allow the proper use of electronics in scouting. By asking for input from this forum it should/may give the SPL information from outside of the troop to create the method that will be accepted by the scouts.

This is their gig, they want to set the standard, not have it set by adults. I support them in this. It is their world of comm, and they are looking for input.

They are looking for an established E-Chip program to consider.

yis

red feather

red feather - You might first guide your PLC to come to a consensus on what constitutes "the proper usage of electronic devices in the scouting venue." Some may say that electronics are never appropriate while Scout camping, some may make exceptions for special occasions, some may say certain devices may be used for emergencies only, others may be OK with allowing electronics with few restrictions. I think that the first step needs to be for you and your PLC to develop a vision in a broad sense of how your troop should view electronics, identity some general goals pertaining to what a good policy or program would be, and identity any specific problems you are trying to solve.

That's what I mean by "in the long run" -- what's the broad vision, or the long term goal for wanting to develop such a program. With out knowing what it is you want to accomplish, how can you judge whether a given canned "E-Chit" program will help you get to where you want to be? Like I said, you're going to hear suggestions from "no electronics, EVER" to "eh, whatever they want," and everything in between. That's why its important for your troop to decide what "a proper use of electronics" means to them - because there is no real official standard to go by.

I think your boys are on to something. They seem to be a clever lot, so ask them what behaviors they would consider:

1. rude

2. immoral

3. plain stupid

4. just lame

Persuant to a discussion our troop had this weekend, you might want to toss in "I promise to never pick on an adult leader's playlist until I've listened to the artists he selected." :)

Thanks Info, that is what I remembered but could not find.

KC9, the PLC has established preliminary guidelines and wished to look at what other units had developed. They feel that they do not have enough knowledge/experience to do an E chit program from scratch and requested that I try to find programs either in use or in development as I spend time in various forums. This has been in the works for almost 4 months and they have worked pretty hard and have had discussions at every PLC meeting for 4 months and has gathered input from each patrol.

yis

red feather

• 2 weeks later...

This seems like a really good idea.

Our troop has always had a simple no electronics policy on camping trips. Of course, cell phones, CD Players (When they were relevant), and iPods were always snuck in, but that seemed to be part of scouting culture as lots of troops acted the same.

Now, kids too frequently use the devices. Previously, they would only be used after lights out. I hope to see stricter policies in the troop so kids can really enjoy the outdoors.

• 2 weeks later...