Hello to all . I am currently a 1st year Webelos leader , in two weeks will be leader for 2nd year Webs . And as luck would have it when the current Web1's crossover next year I have been asked to serve as SM for Troop . I have nabbed a Boy Scout Handbook and SM leader book . I have took all of the online training and have a ton of "Hands-on" training set up this summer . Any more input on reading/training to help me prepare to give the SM position my all and do the best job I can for the Scouts sake .

I strongly recommend you check out www.thedump.scoutscan.com which has a number of free online books. Read Aids to Scoutmastership by B-P. Then read the last chapter of The Scouters Job by J. Dudley Pank. Read anything else there that looks interesting.

Also, google for "boy scout troop program features" and "troop program planning".

Always good if you can take "Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills" and "Scoutmaster & Assistant Position Specific Training" prior to assuming your new position. These are "live" training classes and not found "online"

If you have not taken the online course "This is Scouting" you should take that as well -- plus the "safety" courses that are on the "Boy Scout" tab in eLearning.

In addition to all the training recommended, I also advise the following, and for those who have been here a while, yes I am echoing KUDU.

1) Geta copy of the 3rd ed. SM handbook, both volumes. Is it dated, yes. Does it have THE foundation to the Patrol Method, YES! ( and that's for emphasis, not shouting).

2) Get yourself a comfortable camp chair and a big thermal coffee mug.

3) Begin training NOW by practicing the two phrases, " Have you asked your patrol leader?" and "Have you asked your senior patrol leader?" That you will respond to all Boy Scouts who ask you questions, except the SPL.

4) Start talkign to your SM and other ASMs to get a feel for your role. You should be there to make sure things are safe, provide transportation to events, and counsel as needed. BOY SCOUTS SHOULD BE DOIGN THINGS FOR THEMSELVES AND ADULT SHOULD NOT INTERVENE SAVE EMERGENCIES ( caps for emphasis again)

5) I've found the hardest folks to transition from a Cub Scouts to a Boy Scouts are the Cub Scout leaders. Resist the urge to get involved.

6) GOOD LUCK!

"Geta copy of the 3rd ed. SM handbook, both volumes. Is it dated, yes. Does it have THE foundation to the Patrol Method, YES! ( and that's for emphasis, not shouting)."

Totally agree. The 5th edition, the one with the Norman Rockwell Scoutmaster painting on the front, is also quite good, and is much easier to find. The 5th edition is one volume, but at 542 pages (for the later printings) it is still nearly three times the length of the current handbook.

Part I of the 5th edition is on the Patrol Method, and it takes up more than half of the book. I believe it has more on the Patrol Method than the 3rd edition, which has a lot of pages taken up on the history of the BSA, the old BSA bylaws, and many other details that are interesting but not of much practical value. You will also find less differences in terminology from the 5th edition.

I had one copy which I gave as a gift and bought another for myself.

The 5th edition, the one with the Norman Rockwell Scoutmaster painting on the front, is also quite good, and is much easier to find.

I agree. I found this edition, along with the Handbook for Patrol Leaders from the same era on AbeBooks.com , a used book website quite reasonably priced.

Thanks for volunteering!

Will you have a den chief from your troop helping your W2's? Use him for a foil. Every meeting have one open-ended question up your sleeve about the troop. (E.g., What is your favorite campout? What do you like about meetings? What's a cool merit badge to earn? Who's the best at fundraising? How did you manage to learn all these knots?)

It's a little counter-intelligence on your part. But it may also get your boys excited about crossover. Also, today's den chief may be tomorrow's SPL!

Greetings.

As the newly appointed BS Roundtable Chair for my District I must put in a plug for Roundtable. You should be able to get monthly updates on Scouting, follow the BS Themes, and get various input from "Old-timers" that may alleviate or at least steer you in a proper direction.

Also, as you may have noticed, this forum is good for getting advice.

Remember you get what you pay for. Use common sense.

YiS,

Rick(This message has been edited by ghermanno)

Wow lots of replies already.....

Getting trained is smart. Intro to outdoor leadership is a must. Do you attend roundtable....you should now.

But the success of your Webelos den, there is no such thing as web 1 or 2, and their transitions.

For a successful year....start visiting the troop now. If you meet at the same time and location, join the troop for the opening. Get those kids out with the troop. I crossed all but one boy over, nearly doubling the size of the troop.

Opps, missed the line about being SM....If I was you I would volunteer to be an ASM this year.

Important things for you this year are going to be

inventory of the troop gear.

How does the troop operate?

Adult or youth lead?

Finances, budget and calendar for this year?

Traditions of the troop.

I would get active with the troop. It takes more than a year to make a good SM. Now is the time to start.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

Wow a ton of input thus far keep it coming . I am working on some kind of revolving den chief since the pack and troop meet same time different place . I wouldn't want to DC to miss out on anything in the troop . I am off to BALOO in the a.m. and looking forward to it . I keep pouring over this site and now thedump.com (thanks neil ) and learn a little more everyday . With gas prices $$ is tight but have to scrape and scrounge to keep Scouts as a high priority .

YIS

JP

I agree with basement, learn the troop culture/traditions. Study the Troop Committee. They may be such that they need only continuation or tweeking or major overhaul. Is the troop that you will serve adult led? boy led? scout led? There is a difference between boy led and scout led. The troop that I serve was adult led intially and now 6 years later we are scout led and working the patrol method. Takes time and patience. Remember you only have to be 2-3 pages ahead in the scout handbook. ;)

Remember you will be leading 'young gentlemen' and if you treat them as such they will respond. Set the bar just beyond their reach and be constantly raising that bar. The scouts will keep reaching.

Get the parents/guardians involved. That are the the key to success. If the scouts see that it is okay for adults to be involved it is easier to get/keep the scouts.

Good luck and have fun.

yis

red feather

Two words: Wood Badge

You will get the full flavor of the patrol method and how it should be.

... in addition to Scoutmaster Specifics, CPR, IOLS, and most of online (Safe Swim Defense, Safety Afloat, Trek Safely..." A scoutmaster can never get enough training ... including ojt (on the job training."

1Hour

"I used to be an Antelope"

Wood badge?????

Don't get me started.

I would concentrate on learning who the troop operates. Then in a year or so attend woodbadge for kicks. I would not go into the wood badge experience with the expectation of learning anything that will help you learn about how a troop should operate. Our local councils Enhanced IOLS training did a far superior job of teaching "Scouting Organization and operation" than Wood badge.

If you really want an education, find a troop who you view as successful, volunteer as an ASM or just attend their meetings and outings......see if the SM would be interested in mentoring you.