Just in time for spring recruiting, the Chief Seattle Council in Seattle has established an excellent website on recruiting methods and ideas.

You will need to take a couple of minutes to establish a free account, but it's well worth it.

Lots of good ideas arranged in good categories, including those for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and Venturing:

http://seattlebsa.org/Membership/Recruiting-Ideas-and-Tools/

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the resource-- I know recruiting is a constant worry for Scouting in general, as it seems that membership is declining. A difficulty that we're having in our council is with the troops that aren't pack-fed, and we're looking for any ideas out there on how to grow troops without that natural feeder unit.

Would welcome any input on that! Thanks,

Paul

http://www.scoutspirit.com

Hello USMA,

Being assoiciated with a pack ---or two is a likely source of longevity for a troop. I'd look about carefully for packs with which you can worm your way into their good graces.

Many Cub packs are neglected by troops, and often need a partnership ---or two. Even if a pack has an association with a troop, you may be able to find ways to be helpful.

In the spring time, it's a good time to go into elementary schools and recruit 5th graders directly into Boy Scouts. Few Troops around here do that, and you might be able to visit a half dozen schools and invite boys to a recruiting night.

You need to have a quality program to attract boys ---- you should have a camping trip suitable for new boys to do, and invite those boys to go along.

Have a really fun activity for those boys to do at your recruiting night ---and some food they will enjoy making and eating,

I visit elementary schools during lunch time. Usually I'm recruiting Cub Scouts, but if I'm recruiting Boy Scouts I'll stick around and talk to the 5th and sixth graders who are attracted by the idea of hiking and camping ---- they are out there.