Camporee Flag Retirement Ideas

I lean in Eamonn's direction. Just what is the purpose?

If you're going to retire the flags, go ahead and retire the flags. Is there some special reason for wanting to put on a production? I'd define the purpose.

BDPT00

Sorry I did not respond sooner but just got back from a backpacking trip. I posted before I left and I thought I was clear when I wrote that I was hoping to be rid of one of the large flags and make it special for the boys helping because many are new and there will be a lot of help on hand making a large flag retirement possible. Thanks again

We had a flag retirement this weekend at the Cub Scout area at the Camporee. One thing that they did that helped a lot was that they put a pallet over the fire. THis helped to make the area flat to lay the flag on and it also spread the flames out so that they could burn the flag a little faster. worked out great. This might be something to look into if you want to do the large flag.

My personal preference is actually to conduct a flag retirement ceremony with as few active participants as possible. I think that having the opportunity to just watch, listen and reflect is more important than going through the motions of throwing pieces of the flag on the fire. At a camporee, it may be best to mainly rely on the event staff, and older scouts and adults. I also don't think a large flag necessarily requires a different or unique ceremony. But it will certainly requirement some unique logistics to pull it off.

I'm thinking you really will need a pretty large fire to pull this off. And probably also a pretty large seating area, so that the audience can be kept back a ways from the fire when the flag is put on it. I think that the flag will have to be folded to some extent before putting it on the fire. You might want to have a "fire marshal" discretely lay some large logs or even a pallet across the flag while it is on the fire to help reduce the amount of flying burning flag pieces. (Also try to position your audience upwind). You may find that your facility isn't adequate to handle these logistics - maybe it would be best to retire the large flag at a different venue if that's the case?

I appreciate the thought but having a large number of participants is critical to help fold the flag. Folding a flag this large requires a lot of people just to hold it. I have one this size that I use for events and it takes an absolute minimum of 20 people to fold it and that is doing it the hard way. I prefer to have 3 dozen or more to help me to do it well which is why Camporee is an opportunity I would hate to miss. The area is not a concern nor is sparks or embers as we are in the desert and are hoping we can do it in the middle of a large horse arena so have enough barren land around the area that it will not be a concern. TA