$4/Gallon Scouting vs $6/Gallon Scouting

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the committee chair of an active cub scout pack and we plan to do multiple trips per month this summer, several over 150 miles away. The cost of gas isn't going to affect our finances directly but it indirectly is hurting us greatly. I've had three families come to me in the last week alone saying that they can no longer afford the cost of summer camp (although they previously committed to go) due to the current financial climate (gas prices and other economic woes).

I'm not pointing a finger at anyone.

But...

Seems to me that each and everyone of us has our own little list or lists of what everyone else can or should give up when times get rough.

At times when we sound off about this we come off sounding very pompous.

I know that there is a lot that I could do that not only would save me a few bucks but maybe might also help save the planet.

I don't need to live in a big house and could save a lot of money by moving to a small apartment. I'd save a bundle on the taxes I pay. I'd save money not mowing the grass, not having to maintain the house.

I don't need five cars. Especially one that is only getting about 14 mpg and two that run on premium gas.

I could cut out all of the adult beverages, the cigarettes and the list could go on.

The truth is that I'm not going to.

In many ways I look at the stuff I own and things I do as my reward to myself for the hard work that I have done.

While I am happy to join in any group moan and groan about the cost of things. I also know and am very aware that right now things are good for me.

Both HWMBO and I are employed full time. While she earns a lot more than I do. We do OK.

Our home is paid for. OJ has moved out. So for now things are good.

This might change when we decide to retire? We have put aside a healthy amount and invested a lot for when that day comes.

Still I don't know how much we are going to have to rely and pay others to do things that we can do for ourselves.

I have friends who a few years back seemed to be doing OK. We'd meet them at the club for drinks and a meal after they had been playing golf. Their kids and my kid would have a great time playing in the pool. Today they no longer are members of the club, they have kids in college, have re-financed their home and drive cars that not so long ago they wouldn't have been seen dead in.

Worse still is that I know a few couples that have also lost their jobs thanks to downsizing. These unfortunate people are more than lightly going to lose their homes.

One fellow who was a manager for a local engineering company has just taken a part time job earing a little more than minimum wage at Lowe's.

Five years ago I'll bet that he thought he had the world by the tail.

While I agree that Scouting can be a inexpensive way of keeping children amused. Sure I'd sooner fork over a few hundred bucks to send a kid to summer camp than pay his way to Disney World for a week.

But with the cost of everything going up, I'm not sure that a family with young children will budget for these activities?

Ea.

In my area it is not just about the summer's events, but about the long commutes just to get to our meetings. Our area is geographically spread out. An 8 to 10 mile one way commute to a meeting is not unusual for our troop. For families who are barely getting by as it is, the rise in gas cost alone could force some to quit coming to meetings altogether (one already has). That said, our summer events will certainly have to take the gas costs into consideration, but will involve location (distance) rather than frequency.

We are fortunate in that my district has one of the 6 council camps in it's territory, about 30 minutes away from the house. But the price of gas IS limiting my trips. We have a camp out about 2 hours away, and I am not going b/c of gas, and family in town.

"At times when we sound off about this we come off sounding very pompous."

I guess that's me but I thought it sounded Mormon. Unless Mormons are pompous. In that case all is well.

Mostly I wanted to provide some perspective and Moggie did that a lot better. We're gaging against yesterday for how bad things are now when if we think about the way things are most other places on the planet, we've got it pretty well.

But...going on through Eamonn's list, let's see:

I'm good for the grass mowing, don't do that often.. the 5 cars - own fewer, only one on premium so that's a work in progress. Gave up alcohol years ago so I'm good for that one too. Not sure about the house. How big is 'big'? Mine's almost a carbon copy (pun intended) of George Bush's, minus the desert. Is that bad?

Anyway, I was just trying to make people feel better about the gas prices.

I guess it is how bad you want your child to be in scouting and how dedicated the leaders are.

I had a Webelos that could not make the meeting because they had no gas, and the father was not home with his check yet. We were working on Craftsman, so I would have hated for him to miss the craft project.

I took my son and went and picked him up. We had the meeting and then I took him home. I know that is supposed to be in the extreme circumstances, but this boy is benefiting from the program.

For the boys who suddenly had a full summer camp paid for, that is great. Someone cared. That parent will never forget that (hopefully) and will probably pay it back in ways you can never imagine.

Close to home is an odd statment for us. We have one guy in our district that allows the Troop to use serveral different spots on his land, has for years. A lot of Troops have used his land.

We camped at a Webelo-Ree at the beginning of the month. Unfortunatly that area is destroyed. Covered with trees and cars from the recent tornados that destroyed a lot of our district/council area.

There is also a place in a neighboring town.

Ther are some parents that will use this as an excuse to bail out. That is the unfortunate part.

Base,

Yes b/c of gas. Unfortunately I commute to work, and between travel to work, around town, and the commute for son's bi-weekly speech therapy (where I work at. I know it's a drive, but it's better and more organized than the local school system, don't ask), a good chunk of money goes towards gas. As it is now, we are looking for ways to cut down on all travel. Trips to places is one of them. Walking more is also part of the solution.

I've redone the family budget based upon $5/gal and it's going to get VERY tight now as we are essentially a one income family. Not only is gas prices going up, but also food prices. We are tightening the belt.

I'm glad I got a rice cooker for Christmas, 'cause I'm going to be eating a lot of rice until the economy turns around. :(

sorry to hear that.....

luck enough to live very much with in my means. small house, one tv, don't eat out kinds of choices. So I have a lot of wiggle room in the old family budget. The funny thing was I ate a lot of ramen, beans and rice when we first got married and we still do. Couldn't tell you last time I had a steak. Guess you get used to livin a certain kind of way and it kinda sticks.

Talking about Eamons post.

1 tv in the house.

I do enjoy a nice bourbon on occasion

Don't smoke

Don't eat out

1 10 year old minivan

1 18 pick up truck

1 6 year old motorcycle

I do have broadband internet and cable tv, but none of the premium stuff.

I do have a smart phone, yes an indulgence.

But my cost of living is really reasonable.

There's a "catch 22 ", for yah:

1 10 year old minivan

1 18 pick up truck

A brand new truck or at least newer will sabe money with better gas milage. Today's V-6's are just about as strong as yesterday's V-8's.

I drive a 1995 Ford F-150 V-8 auto.

A brand new truck would increase my milage A BUNCH!

But then I'd have a truck payment of between $350.00 to $450.00 a month, plus the insurance wouyld be higher on a newer ( read more expensive) truck.

Right now, my less than fabulous gas milage truck is paid for. Better gas at another $525.00 a month? Or pay for that milage with no payment at all?

I don't think I'd compare this year's gas price with those in the past...without including other factors involved.

Many of us, are making less money...I for one have had to take a significant pay cut. I now make what I was making over 10 years ago. About 25% less than I was making 3 years ago. Unfortunately, my mortgage didn't decrease...

At the same time, all costs are increasing, healthcare, energy, food...

It's challenging at times. Cost of living in NC is higher than in MS and LA where I've also lived. Plus my utiltiies are monopolized by the city, so they are higher than the rest of the area.

I ride the motorcycle most of the time......rain, even got caught in the snow once. it gets 70 miles to the gallon. Truck gets 15.......and 12 commuting in traffic.

Both vehicles are paid for.... house is paid for......

True enough.....I have not gotten a raise in two years.....tough times. With inflation, I make less.