The New Scouting Collectors Coins

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FScouter,

A "disconnect" can occur when segments of an organization have differing ideas of how the organization should appear to the public, what priorities to espouse, and yes, what kind of stuff to stock in the store.

Touting a new product line of expensive coins in this economy shows a disconnect between National and unit level scouting. How cool would it be if, instead, National had a marketing push to make scouting more affordable in key areas--uniforms, camping gear--rather than pump out more premium products. A campaign to "let's help the scouts and the parents" would resonant quite well, I think.

Is national supply operating in the red? If not, they must be doing decent business selling items that people want, need or desire.

According to the 2009 national report (the 2010 report will be issued in May), supply division numbers were:

Revenue: $143,333,000

Cost of Sales and Expenses: $114,380,000

Net money to BSA Kitty: $ 28,953,000

It was roughly $19M income in 2008 and $29M in 2009. With around 2.8 million members, that means they made about $10 per member on average in 2009.

When I first became a manager I was determined to be the Best Boss Ever, I wanted to be the boss I never had, humane, understanding, able to help the employees under my authority. I soon learned how simply over idealistic I was. I found there were people whom I could not please. That no matter what I did, it was never enough and my growing irritation that I could not make their work environment better was testament to idiocy of the upper management who simply could not hire competent managers as any competent manager would have been able to create a decent work environment.

I soon lowered my expectations of being the Best Boss, to merely a Competent Boss, a goal that eluded me in some employees eyes. I told a fellow manager of my issues, an older gentleman who gave me this He said

Its like this OGE, there are some people in the world who have to believe they are working in the worst possible job, in the worst possible location for the worst possible boss. That way whatever they do is a testament to their own talents, abilities, ingenuity and talent. If their life is not as they had imagined it, if they do not have all they want, they want to blame it on their job and how screwed up it is and how unappreciated they are and how their boss is just the guy who keeps them from excelling. Because if they ever acknowledged this was not the worst place to work, you were not the worst boss in the world then they would only have one person to blame for their lot in life and that would be them and of course that would be anathema to their self image as perfect

So possibly this is as it is in scouting, perhaps there are people who have to believe that they toil silently for a clueless organization headed by evil incarnate, people who have no concept of the program and are out only for their own greedy agenda. That Mos Eisley, that most wretched hive of villainy and scum ,would be a step up from Irving. That any success they have working with youth is a direct result of them and only them and anything connected with the BSA is rotten and rancid. Now that would explain a lot

Of course, unless I am wrong, or at the very least until Irving does some boneheaded thing like do away with the patrol camp out, oh wait, they already did that the dunderheads, wait I just wrote about that thought process, well never mind

With the current price of silver, you're only looking at around a 26% to 30% premium for the scouting coins. If you want to buy 1oz of silver today, you're going to pay close to $52. If you're going to buy a large qty of sliver, you can pay as little as $47.85 in today's market. National Supply has to plan for the price of silver over the course of the entire run of 12. I'm not sure if they have secured the silver for the coins either. In the last 3 months, silver has gone up $20 per oz. In a month or two, $69.99 could be a good deal for the coin...