The New Scouting Collectors Coins

Well if you ever had any doubts about National Supply being in it only for the money, take a look at their latest offering on their website.

Collectable scouting coins, 12 in all, limited editions, going for $69.99 each, and they are not even made with silver or any other precious metal. All will be issued this year so if you are a loyal scouter and willing to shell out over $840.00 in these tough economic times then this is for you. Just what the he** is National Supply even thinking with what I consider to be their best scam to date? What do you think?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That they're offering a collectable luxury item with no practical value as an option for people interested in such things? You certainly don't need to buy one. If it's something you're willing to pay for, go for it. If not, don't. There's plenty of very expensive items in the BSA catalog that I can't justify paying for. That doesn't mean they can't market to people who would be willing to pay for such things.

I think that you need to read the description before jumping to a conclusion. The price seems to be reasonable for the amount of silver contained.

From

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=products&c2=NEW&C3=&C4=&LV=2&item=CAMPFIRECOINS&prodid=CAMPFIRECOINS^8^01RTL&

Each heirloom-quality, 1" diameter coin contains one troy ounce of .999 fine silver and is die-stamped to highlight one of the 12 Points. Each coin's outside ring on front is inscribed with "A Scout is" at top and "Boy Scouts of America" at bottom. The reverse features a ghosted etching of a fleur-de-lis behind the best description of the Scout Law-"Words to Live By". Each coin is packaged in a protective acrylic capsule and placed in a leatherette gift box.

Ok let me try to refocus this discussion, when at the end of the year National Supply is stuck with a large inventory of these unsold luxury item coins and has to sell them at a loss for half price or less, as we have seen on other items in the past, how do you think this loss is passed on? Like any retail business they raise the prices on their better selling items, uniforms, books, awards, etc. So my question is then WHY does National Supply whose primary mission should be to supply the scouting community with the best quality supplies at the best possible prices continually investing their money in things like $200 Scout Garden Gnomes, $70 coins which have a very limited customer base to begin with? An investor looking to buy silver can get a much better deal for $70 than this coin and with a much higher silver content.

When the prices of uniforms and badges go up again, even though the BSA is getting them MUCH cheaper from Asian sweatshops, aren't you going to wonder why? Doesn't National Supply have any moral responsibility or fiscal oversight at all?

Oh Hum....

Did you miss the 100th Anniversary Lionelm O gauge BSA Train set?

http://www.lionel.com/products/finder/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductNumber=6-30123&expandBranch=0&Keywords=&CategoryID=455&RailLineID=&CatalogId=

AND...

http://www.lionel.com/products/finder/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductNumber=6-39319&expandBranch=0&Keywords=&CategoryID=455&RailLineID=&CatalogId=

Souvenirs! Investments! Will ebay be around in 50 years so we can sell them to another nostalgia collector?

Makes the Railroading Merit badge all the more, er , something.

Dances

Take a silver coin to a coin dealer or one of these buy jewelry back places that has one ounce of silver in it and see what you are offered, I will give you a hint, it won't be anywhere near $40, so yes any surplus coins left over can and will be sold for less than that amount.

One reason is not only do the coins have to be melted down but the base metals have to be extracted before they are worth anything, and that process costs. Second, silver prices are much more sporadic than gold prices. Ask any coin expert who will tell you silver is not the best investment over the long term, like gold tends to be, unless the coin is pure .999 silver, which these coins are not its value is subjective to the market buyers.

To start, I could have sworn that I read somewhere fairly recently that one of National's goals was to position the BSA as a premier outdoor equipment provider. I thought it was in the strategic plan, but can't find that reference now ... does anyone know what the fuzzy sector of my brain is talking about?

Anyway, the fact that National keeps churning out this type of high-priced crap that seems to be designed solely to give to donors (and prospective donors) is no surprise. I remember reading the catalog as a kid and being amazed even back then at how many pages were devoted to junk vs. actual camping equipment.

I guess someone out there has a need for a Rogaska Crystal Box with Universal Emblem ($124.99), or the Winchester Eagle Clock ($175). And if you're on a budget, you can always give that someone special an Antique Brass BSA Coast Hook (just $17.88).

I suppose my fundamental objection is that someone or someones in Irving is spending their time to conceive of, craft and create it all. Yes, people will buy any old junk, but talk about what has to be a fairly limited return on investment! I suppose some pros and council board members are still wearing the 100th Anniversary Cuff Link and Stud Set ($159.99) with their day-to-day suits. But is anyone really ever going to wear the 100th Anniversary Cummerbund ($9.98, helpfully available in both Navy and Black)?