multiple registered positions

"An individual CAN be a registered volunteer in multiple units, so it is allowed to have another Pack's CM hold a position in your Pack, they just are not permitted to be registered for multiple positions in the same unit (although functionally, this often happens off paper)."

OK we are having this debate in our unit(s) now. I am CC of a pack that shares a CO with a troop. The question came up as our current Web II leader went with his grandson and registered as an ACM with the troop. We were under the impression (not backed up by anything other than common sense and faulty memories) that if he were registered as an ACM he could not be the new Tiger Den leader as was the original plan.

Can anyone confirm or deny this impression?

Thanks Paul

If I'm understanding you correctly, you have an adult that wishes to register as an Assistant Scoutmaster with a Boy Scout troop, and as a Tiger Den Leader with a Cub Scout pack? Provided he is qualified for these two position, I'm not aware of any reason that would prevent him from registering in this way. (I'm registered as an associate advisor in two different Venturing crews, no problem). As far as I know, the fact that your pack and troop share the same CO isn't relevant, as the regulations apply at the unit level, not the CO level. So, as long as his application is accepted by the council and by both units, I wouldn't see a regulatory problem. You may want to have a chat with the adult to ensure that he is OK with the time demands of holding two positions, though.

There's nothing wrong with registering in more than one unit, or a unit and a district, etc. The only restriction is multiple registrations in the same unit (except COR/CC). It's done all the time. I'm currently registered as WDL in a pack and CC in a Troop.

Now it's been a while since I was a DE and had to deal with these issues on a regular basis, but if memory serves a leader can be registered only in a combination of the IH, COR, and CC positions within a unit (i.e. IH and COR, COR and CC, or IH,COR, and CC)

Now you can be multiple registered in multiple units. See that a lot with parents with kids in two or more programs. Also have seen it where the troop also has folks registed as WDLs to help ease the transition (although I've only seen this with 2 units).

I've also seen it in some SCOUTREACH units where there is a few individuals registered in all the units. Usually its committee members,a nd they do oversee all the units, but I've also seen parapros, as well as one volunteer who usually has 2 meetings a day 4 days a week, and an outing almost every weekend.

You frequently see this in LDS units, where the Committee is "shared" between the Troop, Team, and Crew.

But those are three separate units in the eyes of the BSA, so it is not an issue.

(Just makes it more fun to get them "trained" since they need to fulfill the different training requirements for all three (including YPT).)

Yah, pchadbo, consider da impression "Denied!" :)

The fellow is free to contribute his time as an ASM in the troop and as a Tiger Cub Den Leader at the same time. He can also add on Venturing Crew Associate Advisor and District Commissioner if he likes. ;)

Within a unit, yeh aren't supposed to overlap. There's some good practical reasons for that, though in smaller units those reasons fall apart and yeh will see people who are effectively MC's (committee members) and Den Leaders, or CM's and Den Leader and the like. For da purpose of BSA registration, they just choose the position that is required for the unit to recharter. What position you're registered for with da BSA and what work you actually do don't have to have any bearing on each other. ;)

Only true dual-registrations within units are COR and MC. So da COR can serve as Committee Chair or as a Committee Member in addition to COR. COR/CC makes more sense in most cases, but not always. Da IH isn't really "in the system" so to speak, so practically speaking the IH can register as anything else, though it only makes sense as COR.

Beavah

Pack: Officially COR (Friends of Pack ###), unofficially Den Leader (with my wife holding the title) and Assistant Cub Master.

Troop: Scoutmaster. Nothing More. Nope. Not Gonna Do It.

Crew: Adviser.

Council: Merit Badge Counselor (I assume this is a Council position).

Now - can we find a way to have separate background check documents from the position documents? I had to re-fill out all 4 this year, each time handwriting the same stuff. I really wish Scouting would get with the times and put the background check and approvals online, allowing me to update and re-sign annually like AYSO does.

I am CM for Pack 1, I am ASM for Troop 1, I am Advisor Crew 1 and Webelos den leader Pack 2

All are registered. When you do the Charter on line it will not let you register any adult for multiple positions with in the Pack or Troop except for the COR, correct me if I am wrong.