Need an opinion on troop politics

I think this guy has burned that bridge and I don't see any of them stepping up. Right now, all the parents who want to be active have volunteered in committee positions, we're golden there. But none have interest in ASM. I sort of know why and I can't really blame them.

So you have several parents who are volunteering to work with the troop. That's great! So use them to shore up the gaps in the program when this guy vanishes during football season. Just because their titles may be "committee member" versus "Assistant Scoutmaster" doesn't mean they can't help organize meetings, go on campouts, teach skills, etc.

When he decides to return, the troop will be running smoothly without him and his SPL son, which may be an ego shock; the former Webelos will have the self-confidence of having done things on their own; and the parents will see their sons grow and have the self-confidence of knowing that someone's position patch doesn't determine someone's abilities. That will be a win-win for everyone.

Newb,

Sounds like you're working hard to keep a reasonable perspective. It's tough sometimes getting vounteer adults to cooperate together, I know! I'm a CC too - but that's the job of the CC. Leadership is challenging and often isn't any fun, but it's our duty. From your descritpion, you are maybe the only adult involved who is willing to make the effort and not just kick over the card table, so I would encourage you to stick it out as CC and keep trying. Think of it this way - you're setting a good example for you son (and everyone else's), even if they don't see the dirty details (which hopefully they don't at this stage).

You do need more adults involved. Sounds like the SM has taken some steps toward reconciliation, you should encourage the other parents to do the same. The Civil War started 150 years ago yesterday. A half million people died, but Yankees and Rebs worked together afterwards - your parents can do the same maybe, with a gentle reminder people have reconciled after worse conflicts?

For perspective, I'm part of a brand new troop too. We have a SM, 6 registered ASMs, and a 7 person committee. We had 16 scouts at our first meeting, and less than half were Webelos crossovers (recruiting - both youth and adult - has been a priority). Thing is, of our registered adults, several, including the SM and myself, have our eldest sons still in Cub Scouts a year or more away from being old enough for the trooop. You should look at the parents of boys still in your old Pack - get them involved. They may have less history with the SM, and can add some much needed help in any event. If your current SM is going to succeed, he needs team members helping him. If you're going to replace him, you need bodies to fill in.

Again, good luck!

Questions :

"Tell me. Why did YOU want to resurrect a new troop??"

For the boys really. So yeah, I need to recall the previous mantra quoted earlier! They are a great group and have really bonded well. That simple really. I took them to a very well run troop for their AoL requirement and they were very excited about what they saw.

When they crossed the bridge over to me (representing the Scout Troop) they immediately started talking about joining the other Troop we visited. I suggested they take a vote but reminded them they could still have their own troop here if they wanted. It was their first action as scouts after they crossed the bridge with their parents on the far side. They elected to stay with this troop, so I'm trying to get that sorted out for them.

I'd love to look to the old pack for fresh faces and ideas, but its sort of dissolving as soon as the core group we cobbled together last year is moving on to the Troop. We (my wife and I) weren't involved in the business side of things when we were with the Pack. All the action and everyone (including the SM) seemed to just be following us around. You guys are all correct: I really need to find more parents who are leaders who just happen to have kids that want to do scouting...

"Do you know the Venturing crew advisor or president (youth leader)?"

No - anyway its another long story and potential "bridge burning" debacle. The SM knows him, was presumably unable to contact him, and said he thought the guy was trying to avoid him. Next thing I know, I hear the SM has the Field Director and/or DE involved and the SM was talking about legal action and such, all before I think he really spoke to the guy. I've never met the guy, but he isn't a ghost - he works at a school, in town, I know exactly where to find him 9 months out of the year. Again, I should have just done it myself or followed the "work around the SM" advice.

Scoutnut: "Meanwhile - if a boy asks YOU about HIS duty assignment - Your job is to simply tell him to go ask his Senior Patrol Leader"

Precisely - which I can't find most of the time cause if SM doesn't show, SPL doesn't show (he's not even the one that plays football). I'd re-direct to ASPL but we haven't gotten that far yet.

1 Patrol is all we have numbers for at the moment. I also don't disagree with the -idea- of an assigned older SPL to start things off. Problem is while this SPL is two years older, he really hasn't been in boy scouting for the past 2 years. He's been following our Webelos Den around as the Den Chief. I've got other boys that have approached me asking to be SPL who would probably do a better job (no, not my son BTW.) I'm just redirecting them to the SM at the moment. We'll see how this next meeting goes, and than I might be looking at a sit down talk with the SM, again.

Packsaddle: Did you take my strawberries? Yeah, I need to watch that again, been a while!

Again, sorry for all the venting guys. I'm just extremely frustrated at the moment. And I want to be clear I'm not just out to get our SM - I know it probably sounds like that's my sole agenda, it's just the vast majority of my frustrating issues surround him. So far the support, criticism and everything else has been helpful. Thanks!

Lot of good stuff and good ideas from the forum members.

Over the years I have seen a lot of new units start up.

It is not unusual for the paperwork (Charter) to be managed in a Topsy turvy backward kinda way.

While this maybe isn't the way it should be done. -It happens.

Right now the main thing is keeping the Scouts you do have active interested and doing stuff.

Everything else can and should be put on hold.

A Troop can continue and grow without a lot of support from a Troop Committee.

But if the Scouts are not doing anything they will leave and there just isn't any need for the adults.

I kinda get the feeling and I might be wrong that you don't really like the guy who is SM?

If this is the case? - Get Over It!

If you don't there is a good chance that things will fall apart sooner than later.

What we do isn't rocket science.

We are looking at 8 kids.

It really shouldn't be that hard.

I wonder what might happen if all the adults put their egos to one side and just focused on keeping these 8 Lads busy?

Have your good wife take on the role of CC and you become an ASM?

The Scouts don't care what patch an adult wears, they do see who is going out of their way to get stuff done and who is working for them and with them.

In time if this SM isn't doing the job, the Scouts will turn toward the person who is and the person who isn't will unless he is a real first class twit get the message.

You do need to do what you can to work with this guy and there might be times when you will have to work around him.

Still right now for the good of the Scouts you do have all the adults need to be seen to be fully supporting each other and be seen doing what is for the good of the Scouts.

Of course the parents of these Lads are going to go to you and your good wife. They know you both from Cub Scouts, they have a bond with you and feel that they can go to you and talk to you.

Right now you need to be supporting the SM.

This might mean filling in the gaps and doing things that the book says that SM's do. But if you put the SM down and allow others to put him down, the chances of the new Troop making it become less and less.

My thinking is that once the SM gets busy with all the other stuff he is tied up with and sees that he is not up to the job, he will be willing to step down and hopefully take on another role with the Troop.

Right now is a very busy time for a Troop.

Summer Camp is just around the corner. Getting these Scouts to camp and having the adults in place who will attend with them has to be a priority. This takes planning and communication along with a commitment on the part of the adults.

Do you know what adults are going?

For now I'd say that all the "Good Committee Stuff" Can be put on hold and working for the 8 Scouts you have with a view to recruiting more should take first place.

Take it one step at a time and don't over think it.

This is supposed to be fun

Eamonn.