Need an opinion on troop politics

First off - Hello All! I'm new to this forum and hope to visit regularly. I'm relatively new to scouting and many times when I've been searching around the internet for answers, this forum pops up and always seems to have some good, thoughtful answers.

I'm the Committee Chair for a newly re-established scout troop. We have a "political" issue I'd like some feedback on (not sure if this is the right topic - apologies ot the moderator if this is in the wrong place.) I haven't sought much local feedback on the issue because our problem deals with an individual that is involved in local scouting, works at one of the scout stores, and has several local contacts. So it makes it awkward to get an unbiased opinion.

We just re-started the Troop after a long period of inactivity (the SM will tell you HE did this by the way). My wife and I ran the Webelos through to their Arrow of Light and now intend to be involved with the Troop which was on the verge of collapsing until we showed up (i.e. it had -zero- boys and the equipment seems to have been taken by a Venturing crew).

The current Scoutmaster sort of "self appointed" himself to that position (after a meeting where all parents present who are now committee members volunteered me for the job, soemthing I was flattered by but its not my overriding concern here who is the SM). Frankly, while he is knowledgable about scouting and works at the scout shop, his leadership, organizational and time mangament skills need alot of work. Even before the first meeting this individual as the Cubmaster had built up a reputation for being unreliable in front of all the parents. By the bridging ceremony which had been on our calendar for 3 months, the parents wanted to axe him as SM. He first tried to reschedule at the last minute around his son's football schedule, and he then skipped it all together - despite having told us that he was letting his wife take his son to games when he needed to be at scouting events.

We (my wife and I) have already sat down and talked to him. I also called and talked to him after the Bridging ceremony to let him know the parent's were concerned. The response was to show up without directions to our service project (a project which he setup) and then passive-aggressively complain to me about the parents and the tasks we were asked to do at the project (again, which he set up). He keeps asking for ASM volunteers to see to the "younger boys" (we only have 8 boys at the moment - they are all the same age except -one- of his sons who is 2 years older. This son, by his plan, will be made the Senior Patrol Leader for the first 6 months.) NO ONE is eager to step into that role (I elected to be Committee Chair after he "informed us" he was the Scoutmaster. We're a small group and I dont want to do his job for him but I am sort of the unofficial ASM because I will be present at all events and I am arranging to take the SM specifics and such)

The CO Rep is the pastor for the church the SM goes to and I have little contact with him. I know I need to change that but I am not sure that I can get any ground there. Anyway, we worked hard to get this group of boys (however small) through the Webelos program and want to see them continue in scouting. I'd rather not lose the whole group over this. I also dont have time to train a SM how to lead people and manage his time. I prefer to have one that can hit the ground running. It hasn't been long, only two meetings, so we are still trying to give him a chance but he did alot to damage his rep as the Cubmaster (basically went AWOL for football season and most of the preceding summer) so the parents are on edge. If things don't improve dramatically soon, I'm going to start losing parents / boys / and the troop altogether. We've just ask them to support the SM, have tried to do this ourselves and said we would revisit their concerns next month if things don't improve. The SM has esentially said if he can't be the SM, he will take his boys to another Troop (which, might have been a threat but frankly, I don't need the drama).

So - what can I do here? I'm thinkign of asking the SM to step down if he can't get his stuff together but how is that accomplished? Our CO Rep isn't that invovled and only really knows the SM. When I have spoken to the CO (about other matters) he seems a bit hurried and not at all interested in getting involved with Scouting. I haven't seen much information on replacing a SM in the training and official docs I've read. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I know there are always two sides to a story and I've tried not to be too hard on this guy but my patience is wearing very thin.

You need to get to know your COR and especially the IH (Institutional Head, Senior Pastor).

I don't think you'll have any trouble convincing the parents/committee to replace this guy, but that's going to have to go through the COR/IH. Can you sit down with either of them and have an honest discussion about why they started the troop?

How did he get registered as SM? Who processed all the paperwork for the charter?

Quite honestly, I'm not sure why you need or want this church to be your CO. It might be easier for you all to just go find another CO. One of the parents must go to a church that would be willing to do this.

Do you have another candidate for SM in mind? You'll need one, whichever route you take.

First, the Chartered Partner is the owner of record of the unit. If the IH, the COR, and the SM are friends, then you have a strike against you.

You do need to develop a working relationship with the COR. Period.

You also need to develop a working relationship with the SM.

My suggestion for the moment is a working breakfast amongst the three of you, offsite. It sounds to me like there either is not a vision for how this Troop wants to function and grow, or the visions are on different lines of sight. If either of those assessments is true, there's gonna be problems. The SM and the CC have to be on the same wavelength and have each others back. It's that simple.

If you think you cannot get on the same vision as the SM, or he cannot get on the same vision as you, it's time to call it a day and head for greener pastures. We all have a limited supply of emotional energy, and it's best spent helping the youth!

To answer some questions -

He processed the paperwork for the charter. This was without first organizing a committee and other parents to get involved. Frankly, he has trouble delegating and passing on information so it never really got rolling. He focused mostly on rechartering the Pack but not asking people to assist in rechartering the Troop. Anyway, my wife and I took over organizing the Troop Committee after this. It wasn't until then that we all understood what was necessary and how to proceed. So that's how our charter sort of oddly preceeded the actual formation of a Troop Comittee.

As far as other candidates for SM. When we first discussed reorganizing the church's troop the parents asked me to be SM. The now SM just responded "if that's what you guys want". In response, he then later said he just wanted to oversee Training for the committee. Then, two months later we have a charter submitted and he says he is the SM - patch and all already on his shirt. I'm not a spiteful guy, I'm pretty laid back and I'm not in this to give myself some sort of title. In fact, I'd lov eit if a competent SM came in and really showed the boys what they need. I just want my kid to have fun and learn to be a leader because there aren't enough leaders out there in the world today.

Anyway, I found it really more humorous than anything. We (my wife and I) at first were going to humor him and let him live out his dream or whatever. Despite his flaws, he is very well versed in scouting info and is a good resource. However, we completely misjudged the reaction of pretty much every single parent - I mean every parent. That vast knowledge of scouting doesn't necessarily qualify him to be a leader, the parents have picked up on that and are being very critical, but not entirely without cause.

I do have other candidates in mind but we're a small group and I don't have a huge pool to pull from. Most of the parents want to be involved but aren't willing or able to make the committment to be SM. The parents may go back to their initial request and want me to be included on that list, in which case I'll need another CC - most likely my wife will step in there. While the SM gladly tells everyone how he "restarted the Troop" it is in fact my wife that handed him a turn key opportunity for the troop through her dedication to the Webelos Den. Otherwise, there is a youth pastor at the church who has approached us and wants to help; there is also another church member that wants to volunteer. I don't know yet if SM is what they had in mind but I plan to ask.

Sitting down with the CO and the SM is a good idea. As I learn more about the CC and scouting in general, I'm finding out how crucial that relationship is. When I have spoken to the CO rep in the past, he almost seems like the Scout program is more of a nusiance than anything. I'm thinking it is because of past bad experiences, so I need to find out his true stance on the program. We may leave, I hate to do it, but Oak Tree's comment is correct - we don't specifically "need" this CO.

I agree I need to be on the same wavelength as the SM and Ive tried to support him in front of the parents, but I feel like I can only do that for so long. Thanks for the great advice so far!

While you describe your SM as dithering, he's acted pretty decisively to get what he wants while you and the other parents appear to be the ones who have been dithering.

YOU are the likely prospect to be the new Scoutmaster. The way you descibe yourself, you are the BEST person willing to serve as Scoutmaster. Based on that supposition, I'd go ahead and fill out the adult leader application for that position and complete the YPT training and other on line training needed to be a TRAINED Scoutmaster.

Then I'd make an appointment with the COR about your interest in being Scoutmaster and ask him to sign your application. If he does so, you are the new Scoutmaster once the application gets turned in and the fees paid.

If he doesn't want to sign, I'd invite him to the next Committee meeting and the parents and committee members can weigh in with whom they would prefer to have as Scoutmaster.

As Committee Chair, you could give yourself and the current Scoutmaster each 5 minutes to sum up why they would be the best person for the job. Parents and Committee members could express their preferences. In the end, the COR either signs your application for Scoutmaster or he doesn't.

I'd keep that meeting positive. Thank the Scoutmaster for his contribution in getting the Troop going again. You have some plans for the Troop that other parents find appealing. If parents are willing to speak up to support you, nothing negative needs to be said.

Similarly, your wife could offer to be Committee Chair to support the new plans the Scoutmaster wants to carry out. She should have the Adult Leader Application filled out and have taken the on line Committee Chair training ---I presume she already has the YPT card.

You DON'T want the compromise of having the previous Scoutmaster as the Committee Chair! You should arrange to have parents and committee members pointedly support your wife for Committee Chair.

If you can work with him, you might want to ask the previous Scoutmaster to be an ASM for you to carry out some of his pet ideas and projects. Have some care for his feelings as well.

This again illustrates why it can be a bad idea to ask people to volunteer for Scout positions. The wrong person can volunteer and cause a lot of trouble. The smart practice is to choose the BEST person to fill a position and to ask them to do the job. If they wont, ask the next best person.

I think you have described your situation sufficiently.

Choices:

1) Jump ship. Take yourself and the other families to another Troop. Let the SM and sons do whatever they wish. It is not your concern to "save" a Scout troop at the expense of your boys' Scouting career. Now, this is only a posibility if there is another Troop within a reasonable distance .

2)Recruit many more Scouts and families to your Troop. This will change the dynamics and perhaps make it easier to find the gumption to do the necessary conferencing and discussion with the COR and IH (the same person?). If the SM will not step down "for the good of the Troop" on the COR and IH's counsel, then he can only be removed by the COR and IH, as the Troop is "owned" by the CO. The TCommittee can request and recommend, but the IH and COR do the removing. Make sure you reeeaally want to do this. The bad feelings will be a long time going away.

3) Insist that your SM show his training certs (he did take the SM specific and IOLS training, yes?) and /or insist he GET TRAINED. This may have the desired "aha!" effect, but I doubt it. If he hasn't and refuses or keeeps putting it off, well, there's another reason for your IH and COR to consider removing him. While you're at it, go take the training yourself. Like chicken soup, "it couldn't hoit". You might need it later (!).

4) Pursue the plan you were dancing around in your previous posts.

If the man is an unapologetic, not there when you need him, lets chaos reign rather than deal with it, finds another to blame for the problems rather than accept responsibilty himself kind of guy,,, then, yeah, you probably want to do something. I would favor #1 above.

Good luck and remember, like Bob the Tomato says, "It's for the kids".

I would agree that I am guilty of "dithering" as well, heh. I just don't want the drama in what I consider my spare time and I have been taking the easy road on some of this. Of course, we're relatively new to the program and we are trying to soak up a lot of information at the same time as all this is unfolding. So we're a step behind (like in not understanding the recharter process until after the fact) but we're getting there.

I did sign up for SM courses prior to all the drama. I didn't cancel them when I took on the CC role. I just need to complete the IOLS at the end of this month to be "trained". I know our SM is also trained. Hes basically a professional Boy Scout - works at the scout shop, going to Philmont this summer with family, "knows" all the rules and regs, talks about his IOLS class and I've met people that went to it with him. Now, he talks about how he "rebuilt the scout troop". I dunno, the training is just not translating into practice I guess? Or maybe as mentioned, we just don't see eye to eye.

"If the man is an unapologetic, not there when you need him, lets chaos reign rather than deal with it, finds another to blame for the problems rather than accept responsibilty himself kind of guy..."

So you've met? Not entirely unapologetic because the two times I have confronted him (once at a meeting with myself and my wife, the next in a phone call after parents nearly revolted) he did ultimately apologize and promise to turn things around; it's the only reason we're still talking about this. I'll do what we told the parents - work with him until the end of the month and see what happens. By then I'll be trained and pretty much all options will be open.

In the meantime, I'm setting up that overdue meeting with the COR/IH (Yeah, same person) and probably still keeping an eye open for some competition for the SM position - whether with this Troop or a troop we start on our own! There are also dozens of other troops in the area, so finding another is a non-issue if it comes to that.

Thanks all.

Call this an academic exercise.

Pretend, for the moment, that you have no other option but to stick it out with this guy -- no replacing him, no changing troops.

What would it take to make him successful?

On the plus side, you say he has a good bit of program knowledge. But he's disorganized and seems to be in it mainly for his own sons. Maybe not the most mature guy around....

How do you build a troop around this guy which will enable the troop to succeed? Sounds like you need to recruit some ASMs who are able to carry the troop through football season. There needs to be a method of keeping all the leaders up-to-speed on plans so others can fill in at the last minute if needed. Maybe send some folks through training so they have the knowledge base and credibility to steer this fellow to a more appropriate use and selection method for a SPL. You need some pretty tight scheduling systems and perhaps automated email reminders. Sure, most other adults are going to bring more organizational skills than this guy, so you're going to have to do more for him in that area.

Besides, the troop committee's job is to support the program side. We all have our faults and defficiencies we need help with. I'm not much for being organized either. And I don't delegate very well. But my troop committee fills in by knowing they have to keep paperwork at a minimum (or at least away from me) and my CC knows if he needs to anticipate what needs to be done otherwise I'll get involved and take over.

And besides, with a brand-new unit, you really don't want to go to war over this.

Just a thought.

First off, I second Twocubs academic exercise.

Second, a question: How have the boys in the troop responded to the SM?

Nothing you've said so far indicates he's a dangerous SM, just a disorganized one who has some deficiencies. In light of that, I'd suggest patience.

Tell the parents who are concerned to please be patient as the troop works through it's growing pains. Remind them that qualified people willing to serve as SMs are not growing on trees. Suggest that it's probably a mistake to fire your SM when you don't even have a registered ASM yet. Point out that you as CC are the defacto ASM, so if the troop gets rid of the current SM and you take that job, well, who will be your ASM? Remind the parents about the need for two-deep leadership. (BTW, you and your wife both quality as "parents" here - remind yourselves too).

Then give the guy a chance and see how he works with the boys. They are, after all, what it's all about. Repeat that mantra a few times to yourself before you evaluate him. "It's about the scouts. It's about the scouts. Its' NOT about the adults." If the guy actually turns out to be a good SM and gets the boys energized and enjoying the program, you as CC (and as a parent of a boy in the troop) want to keep him. Especially given how thin the leadership ranks are in the troop, you should give the guy a chance and do everything you can to check your own preconceptions about how he will be at the door.

If the boys don't respond to him, then by all means grease the skids and replace him. But if he gets them funtioning as a Boy Scout Patrol (you're probably too small to have multiple patrols at this point), then he's doing the right thing, whether he seems disorganized or not. Frankly, it sounds like he doesn't have a whole lot of support from the other parents, since nobody is registerd as an ASM yet. Even though this guy has asked. You're critical of him having conflicts with football season, but honestly, it's unfair to expect him to sacrifice his family events for you guys when none of you have stepped up to provide him an understudy. If I was CC and you were one of the parents saying you didn't like the SM, I'd hand you an adult app with ASM already filled out for the position and say "fill the rest of this out, get trained as an ASM, serve for a few months, and then lets talk."

Here's one other thing to keep in mind. Your description about the Webelos den raises red flags. The parents of the boys (you and your wife included) should not try to make the troop into a Webelos III den. Your sons are older, they need a Boy Scout Troop, not an overaged Cub Scout Pack. I can't judge from the other end of the Internet if that's a problem or not in your case, but it certainly happens and your situation has some of the warning signs. Regardless of how great a job you may have done as Cub Scout Leaders, the leaders they have as Boy Scouts will need to do different things. Perhaps you are the best people to do those different things, perhaps this SM everyone is so down on is. As CC, your real responsibility - shared with the COR and IH - is to make that decision and sell the parents on it. And maybe while you're at it, badger a couple of them into signing up as ASMs. You'll need some, whether you keep the current SM or not.

One other thing, and please don't take this personally, I'd advise against setting it up with you as SM and your wife as CC. That's just asking for trouble down the road, especially if things start off with a power struggle forcing out the only other non-CO registered leader. You need to recruit other boys. Think about how it will look to the parents of those boys if a husband and wife team up to kick out the "professional Boy Scout" as you called him in order to have the troop all to themselves. Yeah, maybe that's not how it really is, but that's how it will look and that will make it hard to grow your troop. Besides, your family will need some support from the other families. You can't, shouldn't try to, do it all yourselves.

Best of luck whatever you end up doing!

On the thought experiment - I probably tend to overthink things (very likely what gives my own version of "dithering" in this mix). So I've been down this train of thought and back a few times.

For it to work we need him to probably apologize to the parents (which he did), say he's going to dedicate himself to the job (which he did) and then have him deliver (which started off bad so far).

I don't at all mind keeping paperwork, finances and everything away from the SM. The way I understand it, the SM needs to just delegate the majority of that to the Committee anyway. The CC d reminding the SM about business policy, what paperwork needs to be filled out and all that stuff is also standard fare if I understand the roles correctly. The SM should focus on the boys, right? The committe on business?

However, I don't think the committee needs to carry out the day to day duties of a SM (nor do I have time to do both jobs). I also don't think getting a bunch of ASMs (we're still pretty small right now, so one would be sufficient at the moment) to do all the work -around- him is the answer. It could work but to me it's just ignoring the real issue. It's also hard for me to focus on business when many parents are approaching me and telling me they don't think the SM is a good role model for their child.

Here's my other problem with the scenario - I could have volunteered to be the ASM but I'm selfish. I'm not any better than this guy and I'm not trying to say I am. I just spent several years at a job where I worked for an incompetent manager and basically did their job for them. I know this guy had nothing to do with that, I know relating the two may be irrational. However, I left that job, started my own business and I swore I'd never put myself in that position again. If someone says they are going to do something, I expect them to do it and not really just wink and nod and expect me to do it for them. So yeah, that's entirely my fault, my baggage, and I'll own it. We all have our hang ups and quirks, I completely get that. My hang-up though is diametrically opposed to his hang up :)

If this guy sticks around the best solution might actually be for me to step out of the Troop and have someone more charitable come forward and take up the CC role. Most importantly, we'll need a capable parent to step up and be "A"SM. Right now, the parents are upset enough I don't have any takers. So ASMs that might work well with him are in short supply ATM.

I might be able to find one outside the troop though (I'm sort of working that angle as well at the moment - like I said I tend to overthink and possibly overplan. A decisive action at the start would have possibly prevented all this).

"Second, a question: How have the boys in the troop responded to the SM?

Nothing you've said so far indicates he's a dangerous SM, just a disorganized one who has some deficiencies. In light of that, I'd suggest patience."

Right - patience is our track right now; thus why I'm here venting I guess. We're doing our best to support and let him go with it, but the first two official meetings have led to some issues already. Reassuring the parents is getting old even this early, but I'm willing to stick it out for a bit longer.

He has interacted with the boys - he was our Bear Den Leader in the past and he did have some good moments with the boys. When he left for most of the Summer (Football training camp) and all Fall (Football season) and beginning of this year (again, Select Football) several kids did frequently ask where he was and if he and his sons were coming back. So they were concerned and had a connection to him. I think it was a mostly positive experience when he was there.

At our first official Boy Scout service project though, he had very little interaction with the kids and about half way through, I got frustrated and sort of just took over and made up some activities to keep them motivated. So I'm a bit neutral on this question right now.

"Especially given how thin the leadership ranks are in the troop, you should give the guy a chance and do everything you can to check your own preconceptions about how he will be at the door."

Yes - I'm trying to do that and I apologize for coming here to just vent. Like I mentioned, its a long history and tough to check the preconceptions at this point. Fresh leadership is probably the best idea now - we're all invested 2-3 years into this group, so a new troop is probably a better idea.

"Frankly, it sounds like he doesn't have a whole lot of support from the other parents, since nobody is registerd as an ASM yet."

I think this guy has burned that bridge and I don't see any of them stepping up. Right now, all the parents who want to be active have volunteered in committee positions, we're golden there. But none have interest in ASM. I sort of know why and I can't really blame them.

"You're critical of him having conflicts with football season, but honestly, it's unfair to expect him to sacrifice his family events for you guys when none of you have stepped up to provide him an understudy."

Well, that's not necessarily true. I told him explicitly that I would never issue an ultimatum to choose football or scouts. We have boys in soccer, baseball, and one kid in both and they manage to make meetings on a regular basis. But to disappear from the group for months and not so much as tell a soul what you're doing, if you will be at meetings, etc is a bit much IMO. He was stil the Bear Den Leader at the time as well so we had a two boys (younger siblings of the crew) that bought the uniforms but never went through the program. If you love football, have two kids in it year round and will never have a free weekend...I don't know maybe a leadership positon in scouting is a bad idea? I mean, that's my opinion anyway.

"Here's one other thing to keep in mind. Your description about the Webelos den raises red flags. The parents of the boys (you and your wife included) should not try to make the troop into a Webelos III den. Your sons are older, they need a Boy Scout Troop, not an overaged Cub Scout Pack."

Absolutely - Ive taken the training, taken SM specifics and understand the troop is not a Webelos Den (though I am in no way an expert). They need to take ownership, they need to plan for their activities, it's their Den. As of now, the SM plans don't fit that, but I'm willing to see it out for a bit. It may all play out differently. On the other hand, the boys who are already asking me when they will get their duty assignments, or asking if they can be SPL, might decide scouting isn't for them if these things don't happen soon. For me I guess the warning flags are going the other way.

"One other thing, and please don't take this personally, I'd advise against setting it up with you as SM and your wife as CC."

I do not take that personally and feel it is great advice actually. I'd LOVE to avoid that and hope it doesn't come to that. Honestly, we'd probably elect to move to a new troop if that was our only option.

>>"Absolutely - Ive taken the training, taken SM specifics and understand the troop is not a Webelos Den (though I am in no way an expert). They need to take ownership, they need to plan for their activities, it's their Den. As of now, the SM plans don't fit that, but I'm willing to see it out for a bit. It may all play out differently. On the other hand, the boys who are already asking me when they will get their duty assignments, or asking if they can be SPL, might decide scouting isn't for them if these things don't happen soon.">"we only have 8 boys at the moment - they are all the same age except -one- of his sons who is 2 years older. This son, by his plan, will be made the Senior Patrol Leader for the first 6 months."

Question, did this guy self-appoint himself, or did he, knowing the system, have a talk with the COR and get the COR to appoint him.. As you say, he is the only one who knows the COR, and the COR has the right to appoint these positions.

Newb - While I get what the others are saying, I get what you are saying too.. Been there.. Done that.. Twice..

First time was a small new troop as you have now.. First SM was into it for his sons, when we visited it looked great, they were doing an excercise toward advancement. What we didn't realize was that it was for his son's advancement, you saw the pattern afterwards that if his sons didn't need to learn it for their advancement, then it was worth doing.. Otherwise he was great with the kids, and the activities were fun. Then he had a new job, change of SM.. The next one was worse.. Disoganized, wouldn't follow Youth protection rules -or- any rules, wouldn't get trained.. In it for his son, and they were using it as a youth club, out went anything that makes a BS troop distinctly different from any other youth club..

Move to new troop which was great for about 8 years, but of the last 2.5 years we have someone who is trying, and wants the job, but doesn't relate well with the boys, disorganized, and basically is running a Webelos III unit.

In both I was CC.. In the first I could fire the guy, but only had my husband to put in his place. I was hopeful for a moment when there was incoming crossovers, and someone perfect for SM.. But when they chose another troop, that was when I lost all hope, and we looked for a new troop..

The second one I also left after being CC.. But, that was different, I took it on temporarily for 6 months to carry them through looking for a permenant CC.. It was shortly after the disorganized SM just took position also.. The writing was on the wall, but I didn't get too emotional about the situation knowing it was a temporary thing.. My son was already 18 and an adult leader for the troop already, so the program didn't effect me personally.. And we were giving him the benefit of the doubt and letting him have time to figure things out and improve.

Unfortunatly he never did and they are now looking to change things up at the next election. Husband & son have stayed in the unit, and are in emotional turmoil watching the SM turn the once great troop into a shadow of it's formal glory.. Husband mostly has supported the SM, and tried to mop up after him, and be the buffer of the complaining adults.. But it does wear on him.. Son doesn't see why everyone needs to work two to three times harder to work around the SM, and my husband slowly is of that belief too, as he got worn down..

Point is, it is easy to create a great SM from a diamond in the rough, someone who doesn't know the position but is willing to learn and open to suggestions, and has a personality that can eventually do the job once learned.. It is hard to try to teach an old dog new tricks.. If they are unwilling to change, their personality or personal goals are not what the unit or position needs, etc.. They will drag a unit down real quick.

Problem is as people have mentioned. You are a small unit.. Besides you and your wife, no other parents are really stepping up to help run this unit..

If the SM left as he has threatened, is it really a threat, or can you manage without him?.. He has successfully shang-hi'd this troop.. If he did so through the COR he did so legally, you may not have much recourse, but to look into going to a different troop.

If he did not do so legally then you maybe can fight to regain control of you unit, but with such a small unit, and with not too much heart in your fellow parents, will you fledgling group survive war?? If he draggs in the COR and the COR sides with him, your battle is lost. So best know your COR's opinion in the matter before even waging war.. But, if all you need to do is fire him, and he will go to a different unit, can your unit survive without him?

It will come down to it being either you leaving or him leaving.. If he is really willing to leave quietly if you fire him. But then the troop is still in trouble, if your wife & you are the only ones willing to work to get the unit off the ground with all other parents going for the ride..

When we were in the small troop, with little support from other parents. My choice was us leaving. That would probably be my choice again. The boys did not need the war of the parents, it would have just turned them off from scouting.

Tell me. Why did YOU want to resurrect a new troop?? Why is that more important to you then going to an established troop??.. Is there a reason why this new troop in your opinion is better for the boys, or is it also some sort of adult agenda that is causing the drive to start up the troop.. Remember the bottom line is what is best for your son, and best for the boys as a whole.. Why is this troop suppose to be better then the troop down the street which has the SM who is expierience, has a good sized committee, has ASM's in place. Has all the equipment, has older boys that your young boys can learn and grow from their leadership.. Tell me, what makes this tiny self starting troop better?? Are you starting this troop for the boys or for the adults??.. That may be the answer to should I stay and fight, or should we move to the established troop.

Either way, as CC, you'll have your hands full. I see some practical things need to be done. Hopefully keeping busy with these will take your mind of politics:

Troop which was on the verge of collapsing until we showed up (i.e. it had -zero- boys and the equipment seems to have been taken by a Venturing crew).

Do you know the Venturing crew advisor or president (youth leader)? They may be clueless about your equipment needs and happy to return or at least share some gear. Moreover, some of them might be more than willing to support your program by providing training. (Teaching skills to other youth groups is part of the requirements for a Venturer to earn awards.) If you are really really lucky, one of them might be SM or ASM material and looking for this kind of opportunity.

Have you met leaders from neighboring troops? District roundtables are useful for this sort of thing. There may be programs that the boys would like to know about, and if you keep track of them, that might help the SM.

basically went AWOL for football season and most of the preceding summer

Are there good spots to camp near your home football field? (Maybe a farm or some community park.) Perhaps a parent in your troop could provide a bonfire after a game.

Understand that some troops, except for camp, simply don't meet in the summer. It's just too hard to keep things rolling. Ask your SM if this strategy will work best for him for this year. See if there's a weekend where you all can gather for a picnic or easy going camp-out in the summer.

works at the scout shop

That means he's a council employee. Get to know his boss because he is probably also your scout exectutive, and sometimes this disorgnization (just like your unwillingness to dive in) is work related.

Of all of these avenues, only one of them may pan out, but that's one more resource than you had before. Then point out to all of the parents that you've done this stuff (or whatever), and ask what are they doing?

The goal is to make your SM's foibles a small issue because everyone else is pitching in just enough to make sure the boys have the program they signed up for.

Then, you sit down with the SM and COR and say "I need to start finding my replacement. Don't know how long it will take. What about you?"