Complications from Extra YP requirements from CO

I think other religious organizations and even states will adopt a requirement to photograph, fingerprint, and background check all employees and volunteers who have children in their care. So today it is the Catholic Church, tomorrow it may be the Methodist Church, next week the State of Maine,...

I can see the church offering financial help to the Sunday school teacher but less to an organization that is already asking their volunteers to pay for their training, uniforms, and other expenses.

Remember when the cost of volunteering was just your time?

My $0.02

perdidochas --

Down here in O-town it is a "parish" decision. Some parishes pay the cost (which is only $50 down here) for active parish members, others request that the individual pay.

And to some of the other comments -- I know that the UMC I attended "up north" has a requirement that anyone working with youth -- from the nursery through high school -- was required to have a background check, and fingerprinting done -- and that was started back in 2000.

UCEagle72 said:

>>>>And to some of the other comments -- I know that the UMC I attended "up north" has a requirement that anyone working with youth -- from the nursery through high school -- was required to have a background check, and fingerprinting done -- and that was started back in 2000.

ASM

Your last post is so right on the mark. It seems like this priest pedophile issue which the Vatican initially referred to as "a USA only problem" has now revealed itself to be a global issue of much greater proportions than ever thought possible. All catholics have to know that the Vatican has known about this for a long time and tried to keep it hidden, but the truth always seems to find a way into the light. Now every Catholic adult is being looked at by the church as a potential predator. IMO, if the church had taken the proper legal steps and gotten rid all those predatory priests, bishops, and cardinals in the first place then all this checking would have become unnecessary. Of course according to several articles that would mean somewhere between 50-75% of the catholic clergy would have to be dismissed and/or prosecuted.

Yep. Even us Quakers are finding it appropriate to check on anyone who has contact with our children. Staff at the Yearly Meeting summer camps are checked. At our monthly meeting, our First Day teachers are required to have references and checked out. The insurance company, GuideOne, either recommends or requires such things. And guess where they got their model? From BSA YP, it would appear, they being so similar.

Welcome to the big city.

Is your troop having to pay the $80 to the church to have them conduct the fingerprinting or is that the estimate cost just to have it done? When I was in FL (about 8-10 years ago), you could get the fingerprinting done at the local sheriff's office or police station for about $10.

The pack my boys and I were in during their cub years was chartered by a catholic church which we were members. Also, at that time, about 15 years ago, our BSA council utilized the local county police to perform a background check on each volunteer who submitted an appolication (it was known up front that by submitting to the application the applicant was agreeing to the background check).

Our church wanted to do the same for all parents (Scouters and non-scouters alike). I had no issue but the Scots part of me wanted to figure out a way that these organizations (BSA and my church) could leverage off what each had done and not pay for background checks by the same orgainization for the same folks. Alas, they had not interest in cooperating with each other. Sounds like our federal and state government at work?