American Heritage Girls and Your Council

We have their materials and uniforms in our store. Apparently we are one of the few places in Southern California to have them. Store manager says she has sold things to people from as far away as the Bay area. But it seems to be slowly growing based on the interest shown.

From one of my other posts....

I was one of the folks asking about this a year ago. I have been bugging my council / district for several months for some clarification on exactly what this "agreement" means as well and how we can take advantage of it. Finally my DE politely told me "shut up", they did not have anything. They simply don't have any material to hand out.

So, finally I have start creating my own set of guidelines and rules for what this means. For example, they attended Family Camp with us, we invited the girls to build PWD cars and race the same day we did (but not against the cub scouts), we have asked them to help us with SFF and items like that. We have now created a "Heritage Crew" to provide access to the BSA resources available to those registered with the crew - especially training.

However, we felt like we were leaving the younger girls out. Last summer the council replaced the camping director with someone new and they were looking to replace our retiring council scouting executive. I took that chance to contact them and get more information again. This time they were interested in meeting with the various AHG groups in the area. After a couple of meetings and then some internal meetings at the AHG level, the council is opening up the local BSA summer camp property "a week early" to provide a summer camp experience for the AHG troops in the area similar to the Webelos / Webelos II program. I am helping them build a program to fit with the resources I know the scout camp has and to meet requirements for AHG. The council is providing a bulk of the staff, access to food services and resources of the property. We are now actively recruiting youth and adults to attend.

So, right now I am living in two worlds, the AHG world and the BSA world. I just keep telling myself it's only an hour a week.

PM me if you would like more details.

YiS