New Leadership Training Program

Yah, as we were talkin' about EDGE I was lookin' up what some of the background on it was, and I came across this bit from the BSA Program Office in Irving (remember da Program Office was created durin' Mazucca's first restructuring to pull together people from the various program levels).

New Training Pilot

Because of complications obtaining suitable licensing arrangements for the Blanchard materials from Ken Blanchard Companies, Inc. for the core elements of the situational leadership model used in 21st Century Woodbadge and National Youth Leadership Training as well as the print copies of the Patrol Leader Handbook and Senior Patrol Leader Handbook, the BSA has been forced to review its training materials with the intention of removing the Intellectual Property claimed by Ken Blanchard Companies, Inc. from the aforementioned works. The state of negotiations with Ken Blanchard Companies, Inc. make it likely that an alternative arrangement for BSA leadership training materials will need to be in place no later than January 1, 2012.

The BSA has been pursuing and hopes to announce an arrangement shortly with John C. Maxwell, popular leadership theorist and author of "Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know" and "The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You" to incorporate Maxwell's leadership methods into the BSA's training materials in place of those models claimed as intellectual property by the Ken Blanchard Companies, Inc. We are excited to be taking this step to secure the long-term integrity of the BSA training materials with minimal licensing fees. We believe this step will also advance the mission of the organization by modernizing the leadership methods in which scouts and scouters are trained.

If adopted, the new leadership approach will be incorporated into the next revision of the Wood Badge and NYLT materials which will be accelerated for release in early 2012. NYLT will be renamed "Scouting Leadership 101 for youth" and will be open to Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturers serving in unit leadership positions. A basic online training for adults entitled "Scouting Leadership 101: the 12 basic laws for unit leaders" will begin development in the early fall with anticipated deployment in June 2012. To round out the training, a one-day course syllabus entitled Unit Leadership Seminar (ULS) will replace the current Troop Leader Training 3-hour program. ULS will incorporate a core leadership curriculum in the morning, with separate modules for troops and crews in the afternoon.

Only adults who have completed Scouting Leadership 101 or the new version of Wood Badge will be authorized to instruct Unit Leadership Seminar in their unit programs.

For further information, see "Program Updates" in the Program Office section of the BSA website at http://www.scouting.org/program

------

So I guess that answers that question, eh? I wonder if they'll revamp EDGE as part of da process of converting over to da Maxwell stuff?

Also looks like the new ULS materials are goin' to continue the TLT tradition of being all-indoors stuff.

Beavah

Beavah writes:

I wonder if they'll revamp EDGE as part of da process of converting over to da Maxwell stuff?

According to the Website it will, at least in SM Specific Training where EDGE replaced Patrol Leaders and Patrols in the Patrol Method presentation.

For the purposes of training in the new program, a Patrol Leader will be known as "Leader 101," ASPL as "Leader 201," SPL as "Leader 301," and JASM as "Leader 401," so as to standardize leadership roles in Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturers.

Following the precedent established in SM Specific Training of presenting the word "Patrol" as synonymous with any generic subunit, it will now be known as a "Maxwell."

Beavah writes:

Also looks like the new ULS materials are goin' to continue the TLT tradition of being all-indoors stuff.

Indoor training is more clean and modern, which can only strengthen our program. At one time, the practice was to dig a trench around a tent - we no longer do that. Is not trenching a tent weakening the program?

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

The fact the Leadership Program has plans to alter its methods is not a bad thing is it? Many posters think EDGE is, well plain speaking STUPID and thats not an mneumonic. So, lets see how this program is, I look foward to seeing torn asunder in the future.

Wonder if in a few years we will get a post decrying whatever method is beig used and saying we need to get back to the traditional way of teaching scouting skills, you know, EDGE to which many will opine how great the old days were when EDGE was reigning

I'm going on the basis that this was an April Fool's joke unless and until proven otherwise. Some of the writing doesn't seem "right" for the BSA and the link produces a page-not- found error. I usually go on the assumption that anything posted on the Internet on Aplril 1 is not to be believed, unless I wrote it. :)