Camperships, wheres the money??????

So I was hit up by the DE for money for cub camperships.....and seeing the OA thread about camperships.

Who holds the money and how do I find out the amount in the districts or councils account??????

I am curious by nature and would love to know who to ask to find out.

It depends upon your lodge. In my current lodge, the youth have a committee that review all applications, and it's for Boy Scouts only, so no Cubs or Venturers may apply. there is a separate campership fund by the council that is open to all, and a 3rd also run by the council that is open to Eagles, both youth and adult, only. Adults can access that for WB, Jambo, and national HA bases only. Youth can access that cmapership for anything.

One lodge I was in gave the council the money to supply camperships.

Also I know of a few chapters that have their own campership funds. May notbe legit per national, but seen it done.

The "who" should probably be documented on your council's annual report. Chances are the name and number is on the campership application form.

The "how much" should be a line item on your council's budget, unless managed as a separate fund. If that's the case then it would be on the income/expense report. And as E92 mentioned, that could in several places depending on how your council is organized.

Your's is an important question. Every year I hand out our church financial report to my 3rd-5th grade Sunday school class. I tell them, "This is the one document that you should use to decide where you will worship on a regular basis."

Since districts don't exist as legal entities, your district doesn't have funds of its own. It has a line or lines in the council's operating budget for its annual activities (recruiting, camporees, etc.). Those funds are really the property of the council, and allocated to the district for its use during a fiscal year.

Often, camperships are funded from your council's endowment funds. The capital of the endowment is rarely if ever spent. The interest earned is set aside for various uses, including camp improvements and camperships.

Sometimes camperships are funded through dedicated gifts from volunteers or local foundations. However, soliciting annually can lead to varying degrees of funding. An endowment fund can return a relatively stable stream of income, barring a long string of poor investment performance.

I know in our council that individuals have funded restricted endowments to fund camperships for the Scouts of particular districts.

You should be able to see the size of the council's endowment fund(s) in their annual report or IRS 990 form. However, details about the use of the proceeds, etc. generally aren't in those documents.

Ask to see a copy of the operating budget. You probably will find the gross amount allocated to camperships in that document.