"I do not urinate in ponds, rivers, lakes or oceans and I expect all the fish, whales, ducks, gulls, moose, deer and geese to follow my lead."

And they better not be doing #2 either!!!

I expect them to do what we have to do, get up on dry land at least 200 yards from any source of water, and dig a cathole!!!

I was thinking of the urinating on the path. I would imagine you must set up someone on the path out of sight on either end if you want to do this.. I just have the image of having my husband or son having the troop go ahead of them, whipping it out, and having some family with little girls come along on the path around the curve and see this guy in boy scout uniform exposing himself on the path. Now, try explaining this to the Scout Excutive, who is ready to bar you from scouting for life. You are no pervert, just following LNT..

Yeah that goose thing....so I've done the work on this. Depending on what literature you survey, it takes from 3-7 geese to equal the fecal output of one human. When I give public talks I like to make them squirm by reminding them that on this basis, that for every 3-7 geese in that flock (gaggle) on their expansive lawns down to the lake shore, they should envision one of their neighbors, you know, doing the same thing. More than a few of them cast worried glances around the room...I guess maybe someone was making the calculation.

I guess I should also remind those of us who forgot, fish mostly eliminate nitrogenous waste through the exchange of ammonia across their gills. And birds, well, they're different from mammals as well, more like reptiles (that evolution thing again).

But around here one thing I hate to see is some farmer's cattle ambling down the badly eroded stream bank to do BOTH numbers in the water while they take a long cool drink...facing upstream of course.

Anyone with my background will understand when I say that I filter AND boil the water.

I've never understood urinating on a campfire to put it out, especially if the person is planning to sleep nearby. I heard in a YPT training a horror story about a former scouter who would pee on a fire and encourage all the cub scouts to do it as well (he was removed for that practice, BTW).

I would guess the practice comes from places where you had to bring your own water. When you were ready to leave, you dumped what you had left on the fire, which may not have cooled it all the way down to room temperature. So as your last act before you leave, you go ahead and empty one last store of water onto the fire.

I'm presuming that removal for encouraging Cub Scouts to do it is more about youth protection and nothing to do with Leave No Trace violations.