From the BSA October 2010 Training Updates -

http://scouting.org/Training/TrainingUpdates/Archives/201010.aspx

Training Courses Requiring Recertification

Most BSA training courses do not require recertification with the obvious exception for Youth Protection Training (YPT) which is required every two years. The following is a list of courses requiring recertification and the timeframe for each:

* Trainers EDGE Three years

* Paddle Craft Safety Three years

* Swimming and Water Rescue Two years

* Safety Afloat Two years

* Chain Saw Safety Two years

* Note: National Camping School certification is good for five camping seasons.

Any idea why Trainer's EDGE would expire?

[Resisting temptation. Resisting. Failing....]Because it is a non-referential method of pedagogy; therefore, you are dependent on on someone else to remind you of it LEST YOU FORGET!!!!!

Ugh, Trainer's Edge! I had a long talk with Ron Timmons about this at our Area Leadership Conference last year.

The reasoning is that TE will not be a static training over time. Concepts will change, new material "should" be added, and it will give presenters a chance to become versed with new presentation techniques and standards.

I can't say I agree with it completely, but at least there's a method to the madness.

Every 3 years? Even Blanchard only puts out a new book every 4-5 years.

hmmm...There was a revision in October of '09, I took it in April of '09. Just glancing through it looks the same, I'd have to do a text comparison to find the changes but they have to be very minor indeed.

Considering it is only required for WB/NYLT staff, you would think they could cover the changes in WB prep. "It is meant to supplement the practice offered through Wood Badge and NYLT staff development, with a focus on the participant, while raising the level of skill a trainer brings to the staff experience."

Okay people, this has nothing to do with my utter and complete disdain for EDGE.

If I have not kept up with my water rescues, someone may die. Same with paddle safety, chainsaws, etc ... We all forget details, so being reminded every couple of years is a good idea. Each fine point remembered removes us one degree from calamity.

If your not up to date with the best dog-and-pony-show you can do for your trainees, will they die?

Granted, I've not formally taken trainer's edge, so maybe I'm missing something. But do you guys on the training side of things feel like refresher courses every few years are essential? Isn't doing training frequently and getting evaluated what you really need?

• 2 weeks later...

"A few more years and a Scouter's lifetime career might be filled just by taking mandatory training.... "

It does seem to be heading in that direction.

I plan to retire before that happens.

""A few more years and a Scouter's lifetime career might be filled just by taking mandatory training.... "

It does seem to be heading in that direction.

I plan to retire before that happens."

That's why they pay us the big bucks....