I thougtht the cover of the Mar-Apr Scouting magazine was kind of creepy

Yeah. When I pulled the mail out of the PO Box, I saw an adult and a half clothed youth... all by themselves... and the boy was looking really uncomfortable with the whole situation. Then I pulled the magazine all the way out from the envelopes and saw the mention of a swimming stress test which offered another explanation for why the boy was so worried. Yeah, I thought it was creepy too.

It looks like 2 people looking into their reflection in the water. Hence the mirror-image writing of "lifeguard."

If you're looking at it and seeing an adult and a half clothed youth looking worried...well I don't quite know what to say about that...

I guess I didn't pay too much attention to the cover, but I was kind of surprised about the contents of the article.

I've been away from Scouting for about 30 years, and I don't recall ever being stressed out by having to take a swimming test. In fact, the actual tests were apparently so non-memorable that I have absolutely no recollection of ever taking one. I do remember my buddy tags, the first one or two of which were only half colored in, and the later ones were all colored in. So I must have taken the test, but I honestly don't remember it being a big deal.

And I was a nerdy, totally non-athletic kid who absolutely hated gym class. So you would think that if someone hated taking the test on the first day of summer camp, it would be me.

Maybe I was just in the world's kindest gentlest troop, but did it seem to others like they were making a big deal out of nothing?

For example, it never even occurred to me that the fish might want to bite me, but apparently that is one of the stress-provoking aspects, according to the article.(This message has been edited by clemlaw)

I think some of the trepidation of the swim test comes from the attitude of not only the leaders but the boys. At camp one year I heard other boys explaining the "horrors" of the swim test and the anxiety level rose for the first year boys.

Something my pack did was host a swim party following all the guidelines complete with buddy tags, lifeguard, spotters, checks and boundaries for the boys before camp. They had a great time getting the practice in, swimming with their pals, and getting a preview of camp.

I hadn't given the cover a second thought until now.

We do usually have one or two boys each year for whom the swim test is a big deal. For the rest, it's hardly a memorable event, but for the ones who are barely capable (or not capable) of passing, it's a real concern. It's great if you can find an understanding adult who can work with these kids.

Having had to instruct 1st year through 3rd year scouts to finally conquer the intimidation of the swim test, I found the picture very natural. (Although, not as photgenic that lifeguard.)

The point is to get you in the frame of mind of the kid who can't seem to pass that test. It's a strange situation. You don't fit in. Nothing feels right. There's this guy who is supposed to help you, but you're stuck in some kind of limbo waiting him to give you an instruction that your body has no clue how to follow!

Most boys have no problem with this situation, but every year there's that odd one or two -- or that odd year when you have a number of boys -- who can't seem to beat the headgame and make their body work for them.

If you were never phased by an aquatics challenge, the picture will do you the favor of capturing the creepiness of it all. And that, my friends, is what will keep an otherwise bouyant body from covering 100 yards.

We have attended a dozen or more camps over the years I have been an adult leader, and few kids ever completely flunk the test. Some have to go back on occasion. I had one camp where I was seriously concerned about the test's worth, as I watched some kids that simply floundered the whole way, stopping at the shallow end of the pool, yet still getting passed. Yes, I did speak to the staff about the concerns, and hopefully they took my concerns seriously.

But, the biggest problem we have with tests is the tendency of the kids to think it is a race. For good swimmers, that is not an issue; but for the large majority, especially younger boys, it can be difficult. Part of that is that most of our camps are in the mountains above 4,000 feet, while we live on the coast. Also, many of the testing areas are cold, especially those in lakes where temps can be in the 60's. Between the thinner air and the muscle taxing cold, they tire really fast. I try to coach my boys to remember to go slowly, especially when they start out. Of course, most boys "think" they are good swimmers, but unless they swim with their face in the water and know how to breath, they have a ways to go.

The good thing is that they can retest as often as necessary; and for some, that is a goal. But, even non-swimmers can play in restricted areas. I would like to see a separate session scheduled for non-swimmers, and another for beginners, so they might actually leave camp with new confidence and greater skill. But most camps have trouble simply staffing the actual classes in swimming and life saving.

Not sure your mile swim time would be longer than my most recent ones. (:-}> In 2009 I did my 25th "official" summer camp mile; it was around 1 hour and 20 minutes or so; but I finished it, and never stopped, like some of the younger swimmers did (fudging it from my perspective, by hanging on the edge, or putting feet down briefly in the shallow end), and I was 65 then. Did not do it last year. Best time was under 40 minutes I think in Shaver Lake in 65 degree water. Did a three in the Pacific, two at Emerald Bay, and one at Cherry Valley. Half have been in pools or restricted swimming docks. Will see if I feel like trying it at camp this summer.