Why is there a Guide to Safe Scouting?

I don't mind the existence of a Guide to Safe Scouting -- in fact, I like it. Waht I don't like is that it has evolved to be so risk-averse as to be limiting. I am really torqued by the elimination of adult-less patrol outings. Some of the best campouts and hikes I took as a Scout were Just Scouts.

John,

I reread that thread and did not see any warnings that it would be going away. Perhaps you could see it reading between the lines however.

Richard was asking what our perceptions were. He wanted to see what the "perceptions versus reality" were.

I and a few others gave him our perceptions. I asked him what the reality was. He never answered. I was prepared to point out the the Scoutmaster Handbook says patrol campouts without adult supervision is permitted.

The next thing we know the Guide to Safe Scouting no longer allows it.

Perhaps we should make a list of things we think Richard should include in the guide to safe scouting,

and the things that really don't belong in there.

it does seem like he reads here and makes changes based on what he reads....

The next thing the G2SS should include ...

A STRONG encouragement for patrols to plan overnights in the absence of adults. And directions on how to use the BSA tour plan as a tool to organize their trip, with the PL and the APL signing off as tour leaders, the SPL instead of the charter org rep or committee chair, and ultimately the SM as, well, him/herself.