I am amazed that nobody here said anything given the apparent obsession with pie. :D

We had a very good apple pie on my ships cruise this weekend. The galley crew heated it up, then put some vanilla ice cream on the side. Best meal we've had in a while. :D

OwntheNight, 10-4 on that Key Lime! One of my favorites. My all-time fav is the 'Merry Berry' pie at the Rustic Skillet near Blue River and McKenzie Bridge, OR. Pie is about the only thing the Northwest really HAS as a real home-grown cuisine, LOL. OK, maybe seafood too.

I once got stopped at the Mexican Border coming back into the US. I had a pineapple. So I sat there and ate the whole thing in front of him. Probably won't work for that pie, though. Interestingly, they never questioned any of the plain plastic bags full of raw sugar. I guess it was too obvious.

Pack,

It is a good thing that pie is so engrained in our country. Everybody knows how to make it and by gosh I'm going to try as many as possible wherever the roads lead me! Now, If I can just figure out why my pants keep shrinking, thank goodness for the expandable waist in the centennial pants. :)

Kudos for eating an entire pineapple, my wife tried that once while living in Hawaii, and said her mouth was on fire afterwards from the high acidic content!

Skeptic,

I love roadkill stew!

When I travel on the highway, I stop and put a chalkmark on the roadkill that I find. Then, on the way home I stop again and collect any roadkill that doesn't have a chalkmark on it. That way, I know that its fresh!

Steve

So, prof, have you ever done jack rabbit races, or similar events in your particular locale? I grew up in the high desert, and summer was tedious and hot, so you had too little to do. Jacks liked headlights, especially on the long, flat, straight two lane roads. So, we would go out when it was dark enough, and search for some new hares (their technical name) near each other, ones a bit too enamored of the lights, and set up the race. Each contestant puts his hare in one of the lanes; some used sticks for placement, but the "real" racers used their bare hands. Once happy with your lane spot, you counted back down the road the determined distance, say 50 feet, and turned to face your racer. At the sound of the starter's voice, you took off running, timing your speed and pace. At the last second you jumped and landed both feet down, balanced for best effect on your heels, but not so hard to hinder the "slide". Winner, of course, was the one who slid the farthest. On occasion, you had to have a slide off; now that was really tricky, as you can imagine the racers could be rather road worn after the initial slide. Fun in the desert in the late 50's. (:-}>