My Boyhood SM passed this week. I learned a lot from him. Some of it was the basic hiking/camping type stuff but part of it was just watching him with his son gave me an idea of what kind of father and there for what type of scouter I wanted to be.

He was my brothers Cub master back in 1960 and my SM until 1983. It's been almost 25 years since he retired from scouting but every scout I teach is to his credit.

Now a few of my scouts have gone on to become scouters themselves. They may never have know Mr. S. but they are continuing his legacy. I wonder if he ever imagined how far it would go when he sign a BSA app the first time. I wonder if he ever really knew how important he was in the life of so many boys. Boys he never even met.

Mr S, Thanks for every thing but rest easy now, you've done your "one hour", it's my turn for now and I promise to pass it to some one else when I'm done.

I'll attend his service this week in my class A's. Don't know if his remaining family will know me but I want them to know he made a difference in my life that still maters after all these years. That the hour each week was worth it.

I hope some day there is a uniform or two at my own.

wingnut,

I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm now at an age where a good many of the people who served me well are passing.

A few years back in Scouting Magazine there was an article about inner city troops.

If I remember right? One Troop mentioned was from Ohio, I think in the Cleveland area.

In an interview with the SM he mentioned that he had been very fortunate in having a wonderful SM from Troop 133, Mount Pleasant PA. Pete Rice.

I first met Pete back in 1977 he was at summer camp with the Troop. He was a small little fellow, who even then looked kinda old. His face was weather beaten and lined, his hair looked like he'd got out of bed and had forgot to comb it.

Within only a couple of minutes talking with Pete, you knew that he knew what he was talking about and that he loved Troop 133.

Pete never married he looked at the Scouts in 133 as his kids. These kids were no angels and got into more than their fair share of mischief and hot water.

When I was District Chair. I wanted to recognize Pete for the great work that he'd done for Troop 133, the District and Scouting. He already had the awards that are out there, so I thought presenting him with a James E. West was a good idea. I sent out letters to all the people I knew from 133 many of them Eagle Scouts and booked a hall for a dinner and presentation.

The normal donation for a James E. West is $1,000.

Soon after I'd sent out the letters, I'd make my trip to the mail box at the end of my drive-way to pick up the mail and I was shocked not only at the amount of money that was coming in, but also with the wonderful letters that came with the checks.

The dinner was one of the most moving scouting events that I have ever attended. The letters were read by me and at times I struggled to keep the tears from flowing. "Old" Scouts got up and spoke about the impact Pete had, had on them and retold stories about the trouble they'd got into as Scouts in 133.

We collected over $5,000.

Pete passed a few years back. His long time friend and ASM took over 133. Ben, the old ASM is now also up there in years and is now serving as COR. He visited me at home a few months back and isn't doing that well. His memory is going and he has other health issues. But 133 is still in good hands.

Of all the Troops in the District, I'd hate more than anything for 133 to fold or fall on bad times. Maybe it because I remember Pete's old beaten up truck with his Troop 133 license plate?

I don't think Pete ever wanted the awards or the recognition. He was happy just being in 133. He loved what he was doing and who he was doing it for and they knew it.

His love reached out and has made a difference in the lives of many and many of these people are paying it forward.

They say that the dogs we have loved are waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge, I'm not sure where the Scouter's we have loved and admired are? I'm sure they are too busy to be hanging around just passing the time by waiting.

I kinda expect to see Pete up there in an old pair of scout shorts, his face still lined and his hair still a mess.

Ea.

Scout Salute!

Day is done,

gone the sun,

from the lakes from the hills from the sky,

all is well,

safely, rest,

God is nigh.

Fading light,

Dims the sight,

And a star gems the sky Gleaming bright,

From afar,

Drawing, near,

Falls the night.

Thanks and praise,

For our days,

Neath the sun Neath the stars Neath the sky,

As we go,

This, we, know,

God is nigh.

Two!

Wing,

Mr S. lives on in every boy you mentor. The boys are in a way his "Scouting Grandsons". His legacy is far greater than men who's names will go down in history, the men he makes through you will never know his name yet Mr. S. made boys better than they would have been.

The Christmas movie with Jimmy Stewart comes to mind...imagine if 20 years from now Mr S. had never been alive...would a boy know CPR, would a boy save a drowning victim by swimming out to a victim and extend a tree limb and towing some child to safety.... more simply would a boy who is a grown man offer to carry an old woman's bag in a busy airport terminal to help her catch a flight?

I'd say Mr S. is going to be contibuting for a long time.

Sounds like my old Scoutmaster too.

Any time someone asks why I am a Scout volunteer, I tell them I have three reasons;

One is "OneCubSon" an Eagle Scout now checking the mailbox every day for college acceptance letters.

Second reason is "TwoCubSon", a Life Scout who recently finished a year as SPL and is raising money to pay for an Eagle project.

The third reason is Mr. H, because he did it for me.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to go visit my old scoutmaster, who also happens to be "Mr. S." I recently found his son on Facebook, and (sooner rather than later), I ought to go say hello, and maybe introduce my Tiger Cub.

So thanks for the reminder.

Thanks All for the kind words, don't know what I was looking for, but I found that I'm not alone, Glad to hear others have a "Mr. S." in their life too.

Too all the Mr. S's out there, we raise a mug of camp coffee to you, thanks for everything. I hope we measure up to what you wanted for us.