You are 1 of 1246 Active Users

Since unregistered "users" may browse the forum, anyone who has recently clicked a link to the forum is typically included in that count. Usually the TTL (time to live) on that is about an hour. So anyone who has clicked on a link to this forum in the last hour (just a guess) is included in that count.

Wait...this reminds me of something familiar....it's on the tip of my tongue...oh man.....I can almost connect the dots...

OH YEAH! I know what it is!

20/80!

Of all the active users, only 20% actually do something and write for the other 80% who don't do anything! :)

Just 'cause I wanted to see, I repeatedly clicked the refresh button (about 10 times in a minute) and the number of active users changed every time. I know, I'm easily entertained.

The big point of this is to realize that this forum is very public and is visited often. Which, in turn, should govern our behavior on it.

Way I look at it is that every time I look, there may be 1248 users but I'm always glad to know that who ever set this thing up knew that of them I was number 1. Good to have the respect I deserve.

Heck, I'd be honored if I fell in the top 100 but number one every time I must be special!

"It also means that the count is way off since it probably also goes higher every time you jump from post to post within a forum, and from one forum to the next. "

Not likely. Web servers can identify unique visitors. Otherwise, when you request to view a web page, the server wouldn't know where to send the response.