Had my last troop meeting for a while last night. I leave this week for an attempt to do a thru-hike on the Appalachian Trail starting in Georgia and ending in Maine, hopefully by August. This is something I've always wanted to do since the first time I set foot on the trail in '69 during my first Scout backpacking trip. Recently my Scouts have enjoyed the AT trips we've been on and even met a few thru-hikers during these trips. It's said that less than 10% of those that start ever finish.

After making the announcement to the Scouts (the adult leaders have known for months and are prepared to temporarily take over while I'm gone) I issued a challenge to anyone who wanted to to pledge a penny per mile for each mile I hike on the AT, up to the complete 2,181 miles. All money will go to the troop. Most thought I will make it and complete the entire trail, I'm not so sure even though I've hiked over 900 miles, week at at time over several vacations. My son will plot on a trail map my progress week by week and I'm doing an online journal so they will be able to follow my adventure. It should be fun and I'm looking forward to the challenge. Next year Philmont!(This message has been edited by Eagle732)

Ha, yea a few probably never come out ;) Injuries, illness, emergencies at home all take their toll. The biggest reason people drop out is "it wasn't what I expected". Consider that for 5 months you wake up, pack your stuff and walk north rain or shine, day after day after day. On the other hand every day you see something new, meet new people and visit different places. And the best part is you don't have to go to work!

Way to GO!!!

I am a part of the online hiking community. Do you have a journal with posthole, trailjournals or another source? Please let us know, I am already following 5 other thru-hikers this year and would like to add yours to my favorites from which I can keep up with it.

Good Luck and let us know.

Buffalo Skipper

AT Thru class of 2013 (hopefully!)

When you reach Harpers Ferry at the confluence of the Shennandoah and Potomac, ask for directions to the Sandy Hook MD Hostel, on the C&O canal. Good comfortable place to take a shower, change your socks and rest up awhile. (you did obtain a Hosteling Membership, didn't you? several along the AT!) see http://www.hiusa.org

And of course the Appalachian Trail Conservancy has a visitors' center at Harper's Ferry , too: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805591/k.9727/Visitor_Centers.htm

Good walking!

Thanks. Yes, Harper's Ferry Hostel on Sandy Hook Rd., Knoxville, MD. The trick is getting across the railroad tracks to get there. My troop has done the hike from Gathland S.P. to Harper's Ferry. Friday stay at Maple Tree Campground near Gathland in Crampton Gap, then hike 10 miles south to the C&O Canal tenting at HF Hostel, then Sunday hike to HF. Nice little hike.

Here's a great book by someone who hiked the trail (or most of it) recently:

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail [Mass Market Paperback]

Bill Bryson (Author)

Good luck!