As many of you are aware of my perpetual struggle for volunteers......

I fired the first shot two nights ago......

Our Pack has a Graduation Camp out....I have sent out an email to the Pack with Families assigned specific tasks and a request for response. I have also sent it snail mail and I will have a copy of the weekends events and assignments to hand out at mondays den meetings. At the bottom the expectation is very clear that it is no longer a one man show and if the families don't help the event will change to a BBQ and fishing thing at a local park.

Zero response from the email I might add, not even from the Pack leadership.

So other than ultimatum how do you recruit volunteers???

Don't know if this helps, but for our Family Campings duties are ASSIGNED. It is expected that if you attend, your will do something. This includes: packing the trailer pre-camping, setting up the kitchen area on arrival, various set-up, cooking, cleaning, and fire duties associated with meal times, latrine duty, and unpacking the trailer after.

Another thing we do that kinda helps is that duties are assigned to the family, not a particular adult. So if two parents are attending family camping, they can determine who will attend to the duty and who will be shlepping the kid(s) to whatever activities they need to be at.

This was helpful since one time, I was assigned to making sandwiches for lunch and my husband was assigned to starting the fire for lunch and both our kids were still in line at the BB gun range at 11:30am. Basically, we would either have to leave our kids unattended or ask someone else to watch them. The family assignment helped with this issue.

I went to Mass a couple of weeks back.

In the church news-letter the PP was asking for help with paying the heating bills for the church and the school.

I read the news letter. Did feel that maybe I should do something, but by Monday that thought was long gone.

On Tuesday there was a knock on the door and it was the PP. He stated his case, smiled a lot and was happy when he left with my check.

Calls for volunteers just don't work and have very rarely worked.

Your first job is to decide What you want.

Next look at the people who are at hand and maybe involved already.

Either write down who might be willing to take on what and who you think might do a good job.

Or just make a mental list.

Also make a list of all the "Jobs" that need filled.

Then make appointments to go visit each and everyone of these people face to face. -No emails, no phone calls!

Be very honest, but try and be as up-beat as you can.

Never ever ask for "Help"- Be specific.

If you need someone to organize the Fishing ask them to do just that. If you need someone to take over as Cubmaster then that's what you ask for.

Never ever take no for an answer.

If the person you ask to be CM turns it down, then maybe offer them the fishing job or maybe a seat on the Pack Management Committee.

After each event hold some kind of a Reflection Meeting, invite everyone who helped. Go over what worked and what didn't. At this meeting sell them on the next event and have them volunteer for another specific task.

If nothing else you will find out who is willing to do the job that they take on.

Also it is important that you never leave people out there.

Support them along the way.

Contact the guy who volunteered to do the Fishing, ask him how things are going, help him with any problems he might run into.

If it is a new CM you might want to take them by the hand and have them go with you to the Cub Scout R/T. Introduce them to the other CM's in the District and the Commissioner and Training Staff.

When it comes to bringing new people on board you really are a salesman. Think about what you want to sell.

Scouting is full of good stuff. Most parents already know this. If they thought otherwise their kids wouldn't be in it!

Adults think that they need a way out. That is why you only ask them to take on one specific job at a time. You can hook them in later!

They want to think that what they are taking on is going to be rewarding and fun. You need to sell both ideas.

Don't worry about things like uniforms or polices all that type of thing can come at a later date.

Never ever treat adults like children. Be supportive but don't micromanage.

Look for the right time an the right place to talk with people you have selected to take on the task you have in mind for them. Most times after Scouting events when there are kids around is not the right time. But maybe standing next to the Fishing Guy when all the little guys are busy having a good time is the right time to ask if he will organize the next big event or maybe even help with one of the Dens.

None of this is easy.

It takes time, but if you keep working it, it really does work.

Ea.

The knocking on doors sounds like the plan. A hand shake and look in the eyes usually works. I will break the jobs into what I believe is required and let them know they don't have to follow it, but It will have a description of what is expected.

I will do exactly that. It shows my resolution to changing the culture of this group.

You are doing it right, (almost).. You should have just let the event fail if there was no help.. Instead you have a BBQ, fishing thingy replacement.. So if no one helps at the camping event, who will help with the BBQ thingy??? YOU.. Mr. one-man show.. Also who is providing this self-centered Pack with the food for the BBQ thingy?? Better not be you!.. Better be Pack funded, or a pot-luck.. And if you bring your one dish, and no-one else brings anything, make sure your family eats first!

Ok.. So you are a work in progress... Slowly you will be able to tell them "Either help out, or no event, nada, nothing"..

So what happens when you hear all the gripping and complaining?.. Keep your cool, smile sweetly and say?.. "Yes your right it did not happen.. Do you reply that you understood your assigned duty..? Well no one else did either.. If you had, the event might have taken place.." or "Oh, not enough food? Wow, I brought something to the pot-luck, like I was suppose to.. What did you bring?.. Well, you better discuss that with the others who brought nothing also.."

They will either start to leave when there is no free ride, or meal ticket.. Or they will slowly understand that you are not backing down.. That either they help, or they go without..

Right now stick to your guns.. But, you may need to get meaner, and let that ball totally drop, before your self-centered group get a wake up call..

I'm with moosetracker on this one. I would not have given an alternative because they still get something fun, that you will end up doing by yourself. I'm not meaning to be critical, it is just not the approach I would have taken.

I noted in another thread that you mentioned "Scouting would be fantastic if you could exclude the parents."

Now, I get the gist of what you are saying there, and here, but think of the fact that these two thoughts do not reconcile. On one hand, you want more parents involved, on the other hand, you want to exclude them.

As I said, I get the gist of it--parents are the ones who can suck the joy out of a program--but these two contradictory viewpoints may be shaping the way that you are posing your requests to parents. You have to make it sound like it's fun to volunteer, as well as a requirement.

I am thinking that you do not have kids of your own in this Pack? My memory on that is not clear but I think you are trying to "rescue" it, or something. If you do have a son of your own in it, you can also mention that when you talk to other parents. When I explained to parents that over the past 3 years, I have not been at one event where I have just been able to spend time with my son like the other parents (the "leader's kid" syndrome), that did connect with quite a few of them.

Otherwise, you gotta be willing to follow through with the "volunteer or else" approach. And as always approaching people directly is what works best.

Be prepared for blowback on that approach, however. I had a parent berate me for being heavy-handed and leave in a huff. This was the minority and fortunately most parents "get it."

But there will be a contingent of parents who feel that this is "the job you signed up for" (as I was told) and they shouldn't have to do anything. It's the little league effect where they can just drop off and the coach does it all. Perhaps that will not bother you, but I was not prepared for it the first time, which is why I came up with the "I'm a dad too" approach, which seems to connect better.

On future events I would:

1) Announce the event way in advance to give everyone plenty of time to plan their calendar.

2) Make a sign up sheet and have everyone (scouts, scouters and parents) who plans to attend sign.

3) Make a list of items will be required for the event and have a sign up sheet for those attending to bring said items.

4) If no one wants to help bring the required items, announce the cancellation of the event and that there will be no future events because of lack of support. Light a fire under some folks.

You can't do it by yourself all of the time. I wouldn't anyway.

Ok I will drop the fishing derby.......

It is an all or nothing shot for this event.

Eagle....the parents in our Pack generally are more poorly behaved than their scouts....The current abuse from kicked out dad.....he has called council, got a call from the DE, and the minister at the church and is generally raising a ruckus. I have a meeting with the COR and IH after work.... You are correct that 80% of the parents are great it is the 20% who are well @#$%*. The ones who are jerks over shadow the helpful ones.

The first image I see when reflecting on the pinewood is this 300 lb guy screaming in my face.. when it should be the boy with the scout made car winning.

I thought you said you were in the kitchen for the whole thing and missed the derby scream-fest entirely?

Let this dad make a fool of himself by raising a ruckus. Keep your head and you'll end up looking like the reasonable party.

Before making any more announcements about what the pack program will/won't be, take a breather and think through what you're willing to do and what you aren't. It is probably more damaging (to your own credibility) to announce that the pack is going to hold a BBQ & fishing derby if nobody helps with the campout, and then to change your mind and announce that they WON'T be holding a BBQ & fishing derby if nobody helps. Makes people wonder whether you'll cave in at the end or vacillate some more along the way.

Just go to this meeting this afternoon with an open mind and try to avoid the bitterness. What is the worst that could happen - IH asks you to step down? Well good, it sounds like you wanted to do that anyway.

Good luck.

Boy, I'm sorry Basementdweller, but someone gets in my face and screams about the PWD, I'm gone, and I mean like right then, and everybody in the Pack knows why. I gotta ask why you keep putting up with the abuse. I know the anecodotes you have about the boys on other threads, but...

We've had some disagreements in our pack but never anything to the point of things that are being described. I have to wonder if it's an unusual group you are dealing with or if there are other issues going on we're not aware of--I have no idea what they would be.

Well make sure you remind them that one of your rare helpful parents, is now hiding at home, not answering phone, door, and will probably not be back to the Pack ever, due to the totally nasty treatment from this out-of-control parent.. And that you would rather find a way to bring her back, which definately would not happen if the unit allows this other parent to run amuck..

The council and CO should support your decision.. Especially if you can also state he was being destructive of the other scouts property.. And the next time he lashes out, it could be at a child. Especially since he is acting like the victim and not the instigator.. It is clear he has no concept that he did anything wrong.

I like Eamonn's suggestions two, but I think you can use the two ideas in tandom with each other, rather then and either or.. Make sure the unit knows if they don't step up, the unit will not have much activities, at the same time proactively work with people in one-on-one communications to encourage them to step up, and have a Reflection Meeting after an event with those who did step up, making sure that they know that you are appreciative of their efforts, as well as discuss what worked and what could be improved upon..

I also agree with Lisabob, if you have already posted the either/or, then leave it be, to keep a consistant front, rather then wishy-washy one.. But.. on the next event, turn up the flames more, and make it an do-or-die.. Especially if this event turns into a BBQ fishing derby due to no one stepping up..(This message has been edited by moosetracker)