Den Chief - words of wisdom needed

Hi all,

I have to find a way to console a Scout that has been a Den Chief for our Pack for the last year. He has out preformed my expectations. Attentive, helpful, a great role model. So far 6 of the 8 Webelos in his Den have committed to crossing over to Boy Scouts.

The problem is that they are joining a different Troop. He feels as though he failed his job. I want him to understand that it is more important that the boys are continuing in Scouting - regardless of which Troop.

It will be a few weeks short of a year when we have the AOL ceremony. I am considering presenting him with the Den Chief service award at the AOL...

Thoughts, comments, feedback?

YiS,

David Olson

Unit Commissioner

Wow David, this is will require a light touch. I dont intend offence, but Im wondering how this task is falling to you as UC, are you also the DL? Make sure its the DL that handles this, thats where the closest bond should be.

This is what I would do, and that does not make it the best, or only, choice. Arrange an aside time with the scout, and parent, if possible. Congratulate them on the important role they played in helping set these young scouts feet on the scouting trail, the trail to becoming better citizens, leaders, and men. Point out that without a strong, quality, role model, like him, they may not have elected to remain in scouting. Explain that it was him that the scouts saw as the leader, and the fun and skills he shared that kept the scouts coming back.

Recognize the den chiefs contributions as a key member of the den, and packs, leadership publicly make a big deal of it. Now that he is stoked up, discuss the next group of young men you would like to have his assistance shaping into exceptional scouts. Point out specific changes that program brought about in some of the former den members, and point out the similarities on the new group you need his help with. Remind the den chief to check up on his new scout brothers at district and council events.

Every leader needs a good pick-me-up now and again, a teen needs this type of pep talk more than an adult. I to wear the wreath of service, and have a background in unit service, currently serving as ADC/District RT Commissioner. What you do is often invisible to others, and thankless, so let me say thank you! Hang in there, get that scout excited about his role. We need more den chiefs.

Remind him that it's the parents that really make the decision regarding which Troop their sons join.

Well, why are the six Webelos joining the one Troop & not the other? It might help the young man feel better if he knows why the decision went down like it did.

The DC service award is a great idea, but there are specific requirements for it. Double check, but if he's been active with the den for a year, he should be good to go.

I don't know there's a lot you can say to the young man. Sometimes you do your best, even do a great job the things happen beyond your control. Yeah, it sucks.

I'd be curious to know what else is going on. Maybe I'm becoming jaded, but I'm envisioning a lot of adult fingerprints on this.

If it has been clear for some time that the boys in the den were going to another troop, the WDL and/or pack leadership should have made some adjustments. No, the choice of troops is not a quid pro quo for the services of a den chief, but at minimum the DC should have been made aware of the direction the boys were headed as early as possible. It may be worth a brief discussion with the other DLs so they can keep an eye open in the future.

Good advice so far.

Might also help to remind him that the purpose of a den chief is to help the boys in the den and keep them excited about scouting - which he has evidently done, since 6 of 8 are joining a troop. It doesn't matter all that much *which* troop, as long as they stay in scouts. Hard for a young man to see, but all troops are just part of one big family anyway.

Old_OX_Eagle83,

I have stepped in as UC to try reconnect the Pack and Troop as they are under the same CO. There was some fallout several years ago when parents got involved. There has not been the bond between the two since and I am trying to repair that. The Troop has also been shrinking for some time and needs new blood. I asked the SM for a DC and coordinated his placement in the Pack. UC is my only role in the Pack even though my son is a Webelos I.

I have arrainged with the SM of the other Troop to also have a similar discussion with him.

The DL is a member of the church that hosts the other Troop. This may have had some influence...

The last 2 boys have not told me what they plan to do yet.

YiS,

David

Your Den Chief has done an excellent job. He has nothing to be dissapointed in. If the Webelos Leader did his/her job, the boys toured more than one Troop before deciding on which to join. There may be any of several reasons why they chos Troop A and not Troop B, none of which the DCh has any say in.

I would take him aside and make him realize the wonderful job he has done, and how grateful the CubMaster and Webelos Den Leader are. If the requirements are met (sounds like a shoo in to me), by all means, his Scoutmaster and CubMaster should award him the DCh award. It should be awarded at the Troop's CoH, being a Boy Scout award, and as an encouragement to other Scouts to consider Den Chiefing.(This message has been edited by SSScout)

I agree with the above. A good Den Chief has really influenced the boys in a positive way no adult can. It may point the boys into a better path their whole life. Where we live the "market" for scouts is pretty competitive--in a 15 minute drive there are 6 really good Troops. Cubs and parents choose Troops based on friends, fellow parents they like/dislike, Church, meeting night, Eagle production, etc.

The Den Chief should be proud of the job he has done!

I agree what everyone else has said here. While your DC didn't get the boys to go to *his* troop, 6 out of 8 advancing to Boy Scouts is something to be very proud of.

A question: does the pack have the same CO as the troop the boys went to? Or did one of the boys have an older brother in that other troop?

Thanks everyone.

I have reviewed his service over the last year and confirmed with the requirements that he will have earned the DC service award in April - one month after his Den transitions. I will try to keep him in service to the Pack at least until his aniversary date (if not longer as I want to assign him to a new den...)

The same CO(a) is for my son's Pack(a) and Troop (a)of the Scout in question.

The boys are joining another Troop (b)that is nearby and has a different CO(b).

The Den Leader is a member of the Church that is the CO(b) for the other Troop(b).

I will coordinate with the Scouts SM for the next CoH. I will also try to get the CM, DL, and new Scouts to attend.

YiS,

David