The demise of a Handwritten note or report

Rather than depending on happenstance to preserve a boys record in Scouting, I prefer to be proactive.

I encourage Cub Scouts and their parents to start a Scouting scrapbook and to add to it the memorabilia that accumulates from den meetings, pack meetings and outings.

I like to do certificates when Cub Scouts advance. The certificate includes the advancement card that has the date of the award and the signature of the Den Leader and Cubmaster and is glued to a spot on the certificate. The cloth badge is paperclipped to the certificate and the certificate goes in a plastic sheet protector, ready to go in the scrapbook.

Occasionally I encourage boys to bring their scrapbooks to display at pack meetings and I display my own scrapbook from time to time to encourage families to adopt the practice.

Many times outings will have handouts or other material that a Scout can date and add to his scrapbook.

I encourage adults to do this as well.

Nostalgia gives everyone warm fuzzies, but we live in a world where the reality is there are too few of us, doing too much, on too small of a budget. Efficiency gives us back time, personal, and money, that we sorely need for the program. Split rail fences, travel by horse, and fountain pens are nostalgic as well, but all gave way to for efficient items.