Scout Master Conference?

Up until now my troops Scout Master conferences have been a test of what the scout knew in relation to the rank the scout wanted to attain. We have been lenient with the young scouts and brutal on our Eagles.

I have just read an article that says we are doing it wrong. That the Scout Master Conference is not to be a grueling test of what a scout has learned but a chance for us to get to know our scouts better. I like that idea! My Scouts often refer to me as the Assistant Fun Master.A title I proudly accept!

OK so if my troop is to change the way we have conducted ourselves with regard to the rank advancement, how do you test the boy's knowledge and skills and assess his fitness for advancement? Or how to do an Eagle Scout Master Conference for that matter. Isn't an Eagle Scout suposed to know just about everything in the book?

I had a dog and ....

Well Welcome to the Forums, first lets take a lool at what the BSA says about a Scoutmaster Conference:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/18-629.pdf

Its time to talk about what the scout wants to do and how best the Scoutmaster and the resources of the Troop can help.

As far as making sure the scout knows "his stuff" that is handled through the program, the scout has been tying knots and using first aid skills and using map and compass skills duting troop activities, there can be no doubt the skills are known, or you know where the scout is weak and you have presented opportunities for the scout to remediate his skills.

If this does not happen, perhaps a review on how to pack more scouting skills in your program is in order

The knowledge and skills are demonstrated by the scout and signed off in his scout handbook up to First Class. That's how they're "tested". For Star, Life, and Eagle there is no skill requirement. The requirements are for active participation, living the scout oath and law, earning merit badges, doing service, and serving actively in a position of responsibility.

You could have an Eagle scout that never lit a fire, or one that can't tie a square knot. All those scouting skills are intended to help the scout be self-sufficient in an outdoors environment so he can experience the adventures of scouting that require the skills. These adventures are where he learns he is capable of doing more than he thought, including leading others.

Further advancement does not require those scouting skills. Rather than testing him repeatedly, maybe having him participate in adventures where he needs to use them would be more fun, meaningful, and rewarding.

These two pages might be helpful:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/18-629.pdf

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/questions.pdf

Scout On

http://ScoutChallenge.com

It kind of sounds like you are doing OK to me.

I dont worry about asking for a demonstration of skills, I think their character can handle that if I need to see it. But a SMC for me isnt about series of test, its about what the scout is getting from the skills, or the troop, or patrols or what ever. I want my scouts to leave a meeting feeling good about themselves. I might as a skill question something like have you used the square knot lately in your activities?.

But I also try to get to know the scout better too. I know that is recommended, but I am a people person and that is just me. I ask adults the same questions when I want to get to know them. I like to learn about their other life away from the troop. But most important for me is that I talk man to man with them. I try very hard to keep the talk as more of two friends having a discussion of ideas. The CC once told me that they when they asked a scout during his second class BOR what he learned from the SM Conference, the Scout said he hadnt had a SM conference yet. He told them the only time we had talked that day was when I bought him an ice cream cone.

I do the Eagle Conference a little different. By this time I know the scout really well and would not be having the conference if I didnt think he was ready. So this is a time where I try to honor him and just listen to him tell me what he feels about the Eagle, what it means to him, what it will do for him. About the only question I ask of them is how would a stranger know that he is an Eagle Scout in his day to day life? Even then I tell them I dont expect or want and answer, the answer is for him, not me. Then I spend a few minutes briefing them a little on the EBOR. Mostly so they dont get too nervous. And really I do that more for the scout to help his parents not get too nervous. Generally the scouts are fine until the parents start getting asking questions and pushing them to study.

By the way, I invite the parents to listen in on the Eagle Conference so they can listen to different part of their son they may not have heard before. Hopefully a more philosophical son with thoughts of the world they have not seen from him before. Most parents dont, but they appreciate the invitation.

Scoutmaster conferences take a little practice, but I always advice the SM bring a part of himself into the conference that will help the scout learn more about his scoutmaster. I think Baden Powell would say it should be converstation between two brothers.

Good Question.

Barry

Bingo,

Officially.

From the Advancement Committee Policy and Guidelines #33088.

The Boy Scout is tested. "A Scout may be tested on rank requirements by his patrol leader, Scoutmaster, assistant Scoutmaster, a troop committee member, or a member of his troop. The Scoutmaster maintains a list of those qualified to give tests and to pass candidates. The Scout's merit badge counselor teaches and tests on the requirements for merit badges."

It's not official. But how are they tested?

I'd say they are tested, when they teach Scout thru First Class skills to the younger Scouts. They will probably need an ASM to verify.

I've seen the full range. Sometimes they pull it off flawlessly. Like, I want that Scout teaching Roundtable and IOLS. And, Sometimes there are alot of holes in the lesson plan "Hi, I'm your new Troop Guide", ending only seconds later with "that's how to build a fire, got it".

Also, the younger Scouts want to demonstrate achievement so they can be tested by their PL and obtain the line item signature. Well their PL and SPL are a good place to start, to ask to be tested.

The PLC is a place to develop your monthly and annual program. The Older Scouts (First Class thru Eagle) may not be soley independent enough to run the troop w/o any adults, but at a shared responsibility with adult association to plan and lead a troop.

This Scouter.com forum often talks about Wood Badge, and I praise Wood Badge. But we often overlook the value of NYLT and KODIAK. If the older Scouts are having too much difficulty planning, leading, teaching and testing Scouting skills. Then a troop should obtain as many seats as they can at NYLT.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21_Adv

Rank requirements are covered In two places, as you earn the ranks, and at the board of review. I recall the scoutmaster conference being called the Personal Growth Conference when I was a scout; Ive not been able to find this in any published materials, so likely is was something the charter org wanted done. My point is, the scoutmaster conference is a scout counseling session, that should focus on the scouts future, setting goals, and sketching out plans to reach those goals.

The Scoutmaster is the wise elder of your scout tribe, dont worry we all look old to the scouts, who knows what questions to ask to prompt a scout to set his goals high, and realize his visions. Where to board of review judges skills, the Scoutmaster encourages, coaches, and supports the scout.

I can only tell you what Ive been taught, and that is that the Scoutmaster is not the authority figure, but your buddy the coach.