Tin Can Craft for Boy Scouts

Our troop is having an upcoming monthly theme of "Tin Can Craft". We did this when I was a Boy Scout, so we have some ideas.

The monthly campout will definitely end up with the boys having to cook with something they've made rather than the standard cook kits and stoves.

What have other troops done for something like this, other than the good old "Hobo Stove"?

I am encouraging my scouts to build fires with fire steels, like the "Light my fire" starter, or the simple one found in the scout shop. But as much as they like to spark the fire steel, making fire with it is a challenge for them. It is all about the tinder. And since this is the case, they should carry a small tinder box with stuff like: cotton balls, char cloth, dryer lint, tiny tube of vasaline, natural tinder like brittle bark, pine sawdust, dry moss. So you could make a tin tinder box and show them what to put into it.

Fill a tin can with water and freeze. Draw a simple pattern on the can. Use a nail and hammer to put holes in the can following the pattern. The ice keeps the can from denting or collapsing. Let the ice melt, dry the can, add a little candle, and you have a nice gift for mom. In a dark room the nail-hole pattern will shine on a wall. Great to do a heart or similar.

allangr1024 - for fire building I highly recommend a nest made from Sisal rope fibers and some burnt cotton cloth. The cloth catches sparks and spreads flames into the Sisal very quickly. Use an Altoids or similar metal candy tin to burn the cloth and then hold the cloth, sparker, and a Sisal nest.