Girls Scouts One Up Boy Scouts

This is NOT the GSUSA National Organization doing this. This is a few individual Troops in San Diego.

I am sure that if you had an iPhone, equipped with the right apps, you could accept credit card payments for popcorn too.

Knowing nothing about the "mophie marketplace", or "GoPayment", I have no idea how safe it would be to use them. Personally, if someone told me to enter my credit card info onto their phone, I would turn and leave, quickly.

There might be a problem with service fees for using that app. Also with credit cards there are percentage fees that retailers are charged. Then there is a question of state sales tax since a credit card charge for a product would not be looked at as a donation, the credit card charge would have to state Donation to BSA instead of popcorn sales.

Payment method itself does not make something taxable. Payment by credit card, paypal, check, money order or cash all have the same sales tax responsibilities. If you are required to collect and remit sales tax for your sales, then you have to do so. If you aren't, it doesn't matter the payment method.

I'm going to guess that "profit margin" on the cookies makes the merchant account fees a non-issue.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

There are other options as well. Square has been around for a while - and has readers that work with iPhones/iPad/iPod Touch and several different Android devices (https://help.squareup.com/customer/portal/articles/11845-is-my-device-supported-with-square-). Their service fee is 2.75% - and for those of us who have had small-business CC processing work, that is a decent rate.

I would think that a Troop or Pack with a savvy Treasurer could do the same thing as this GS Troop in LA.

And, no, I do not work for them, or have an investment -- just something I have been researching for a while.

For us, the fee on a $3.50 box of cookies would be 9.625 cents. We only get to keep a $1 per box split 75/25 troop/overseas committee, meaning we would lose about 10% of our revenue. It's a great idea, but that's a huge chunk of cash for us. If the credit card processor gave us some kind of break on the cost, a flat rate fee or something like that...maybe.

As UCEagle72 says, go to www.squareup.com

Anyone (don't have to be a registered business or anything) can take credit cards with their cell phone.

Taking payment with a credit card doesn't change the taxability, it doesn't change whether it is a donation, it's no different than if they hand you cash or checks.

We always end up with some bad checks from popcorn. I think the credit card fees might be cheaper.

The fee is actually 2.75% + 0.15 per transaction. Not a big deal on the more expensive purchases, but if you're buying a $3.50 box of cookies, that can add up. That's why you see some convenience stores saying they won't take credit cards for purchases under some minimum.

SquareUp has dropped the +$0.15 so now it is just 2.75% if you swipe. We have the same profit margin as Nike. Forgoing incentives we make $0.60 on a $3.50 box. Looked into it for the troop and actually set it up for the past weekend for someone buying over 4 boxes - girls chose that. But then everyone just got cash back before they came out of the store so we didn't get to try it :-) Actually were able to have a good discussion on how cards aren't free for anyone - there's always a fee that either the cardholder and/or merchant pays. That was eye opening for them. Wouldn't do this with elementary aged kids but a good conversation with middle school and high schoolers.

Guess I was thinking of accepting CC's for popcorn sales vs GS cookies.

Now, I bet that if a Council were to contact a company like SquareUp they could get a better rate as a non-profit. ( and if we could get the BSA to do this ... )