Consent Forms for Adults?

One thing that has come up in our troop committee recently is the idea of getting consent forms from all adults going on a trip in case they become incapacitated and need medical treatment. Has anyone heard of such a thing and is it a good thing or not? (I think it is overkill and not needed, but maybe there is something I am overlooking....)

At the moment, BSA is recommending that ALL participants, parents and siblings included, at scouting events have a medical form completed. District/Council events in my neck of the woods are mandating them.

If you look at the new, new medical forms, the ones as of 11-2010 and will be the only ones accepted after 3-1-11, (The ones that have Parts A and B necessary for overnite camping and Part C long term and HA activities) and found here

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34605_Letter.pdf

Part B has the consent section on it.

While I do not deal with the paperwork side of of the medical profession (thankfully); I know that the "legalese" can cause problems, so I recommend it. Is it overkill, yes, but unfortunately in today's world it's needed.

Nah, yeh don't need treatment consent for adults. Adults can consent to their own treatment, eh? So it's not the same issue it is for kids, who can't consent on their own and whose parents aren't present.

Now, yeh do want adult health histories and physician signoffs, just to be alert to possible first aid issues and things that might affect trip safety.

And yeh might want adult liability releases if yeh are acting like a guide service for novice adults. Say, for example, if you're a BSA climbing instructor and you're instructing parents as well as boys on a trip.

But for treatment consent? Nope, not an issue, and won't do yeh a lick of good unless it's a full health care power of attorney or equivalent document.

Beavah

Of course, anything yeh read on the Internet signed by someone named "Beavah" is just da opinion of an eccentric old scouter, and should not be taken as legal advice or opinion. A detailed discussion on da merits of liability waivers and such is best taken up with a less furry legal fellow familiar with your program, CO arrangements, and da law in your jurisdiction.