Can you be an ACM and Den Leader at the same time?

Good morning,

I was wondering if you can be an Assistant Cub Master and Den Leader at the same time? I'm currently a Den Leader but am volunteering to be an ACM as well, the reason being is that there needs to be additional help at that level yet I don't want to give up being a DL for my son and his friends in his Den. I've been told conflicting view points, but wanted to see if there was anything official one way or the other.

Thanks!

Ok Leatherneck, here's the official answer: you cannnot duel register as both a DL and ACM. That's the official policy

Now can a DL help out on the pack level, yes, but trust me it can be VERY difficult. I got a great ADL whom I'm grooming to take over in May 2012, and I am looking for a new Den Chief to help out (lost my last one to the Webelos who need help ASAP), and it can be very challenging.

Semper,

Welcome to Forums, Jarhead, from an old DAGBY (if you have friends who were Marines/artillerymen, you'll know DAGBY).

You can have one registered position in one unit at one time. Your Council, and National, will not let you be a Member of Committee and a DL at the same time. The only dual position is Chartered Org Rep and Committee Chair.

Now:

- You can be registered in more than one unit at a time

- You can be registered in unit service and in District service at the same time.

You just cannot be in two positions in one unit at the same time.

Your first duty (and yes, I used that malice aforethought) is to deliver the very best program to your boys. After that, if you choose to serve and assist in other ways, you certainly may.

Enjoy the trail. KISMIF. Where are you in the State? There are several folks from God's Country here on Scouter, some in Springfield, a couple here in KC, and at least one from St Louis.

Yah, semperfiscouter, yeh got da official answer there, eh? The BSA won't let you dual register in the same unit.

That having been said, pack leadership in particular tends to be pretty informal. Lots of packs have DLs who also effectively contribute to the committee, or who serve as de facto Assistant Cubmasters. It's pretty common, especially in smaller units.

So keep your registration as Den Leader, then contribute your time, treasure, and enthusiasm for scouting by helpin' out the Cubmaster or the Committee as much as you are able. Don't let titles or registration paperwork get in the way of contributin' to the development of the next generation of Americans.

Beavah

We have two DLs who act as ACMs as well. Of course nobody is dual-registered, and DL is their primary job. You can certainly do both jobs, it just means a little more time. How much depends on what ACM duties you were going to do. If you can invest the extra time - and you find it energizing instead of draining - go for it! But that "energizing" part is pretty important. DL is sort of a long-term commitment and you want to beware of burnout.

You sound as if you're enthusiastic and dedicated about leading. That's great for you, your Scouts and their parents.

Remember though, its easy to take on too many roles. Sometimes, parents (especially new ones) see a Den Leader being the Popcorn Kernel or Outings Chair, and the Cubmaster running the Pinewood Derby, and the Committee Chair doing recruiting and think "Oh, they don't really _need_ me - everything is getting done". In reality all of those people are wearing extra hats and tearing out their hair, complaining that none of the parents will help!

The best things you can do for the Scouts in your den (and your son) is the be the really best organized, prepared, and informed Den Leader you can be, and get to know the parents in your den really well. That way you can help recruit *them* to be committee members and spread the wealth among all the adults in the pack.

Speaks the voice of someone wearing too many hats.

No and Yes.

No, not on paper or in any "offical" way.

Yesin the real world.

Our current ACM is basically the DL. He runs the den, he leads the boys and does an amazing job with the help of the "offical" Den Leader.

Thing is, our ACM is only an ACm during pack meetings, camping events or pack activities. During den activities, he is "officaly" the ACM, but there are no "Offical" ACM duties taking place.

Now, I have no doubt you know what an ACM's job is right? Of course you do. But I'll say it anyways for the benefit of anybody who doesn't know.

WEll, actually, I'll give the layman version: The ACM's job is to assist the CM, be ready to fill in for the Cm if the CM can't bet at a pack function.

And along with all the other yad, yada, yada...promote religious emblems stuff and coordinate/ assist with the den chiefs.

So basically, during den meetings and den functions, you can still be a DL. During pack meetings and pack functions like campouts, you can be either the DL or the ACM. It is rare the two duties need or happen to overlap.

To behonest, it all depends on you and your pack.

It has worked for our pack for the last 5 years without any issues at all.

Is it the ideal, sought after thing to do? Nah....but in the real world, due to what resources we actually have, we sometimes wear two or three hats and it happens without a hitch.(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

semperfi

In my old pack we did not have a ACM so if and when the CM was absent without leave I was usually asked to step in, even though I was the WDL. Outside the parents of the boys in my den the other parents seem to think of me as the ACM even though I never officially was or desired to be.

No and yes. With our Pack being so large, it works out strategicly. We have a main ACM who will be replacing the Cubmaster. He is registered as ACM and that is his duty. We also have two helping ACMs. One is a Tiger leader who has been through Tigers before. They serve as ACM for Tigers and help those Dens out with knowledge. We also have an ACM for Webelos who is a Webelos leader and is someone who has been through Webs before. They do the same job for Webs and help with the completion and transition to Boy Scouts. So, functionally we have 3 ACMS, but on paper, only one; and only one who is expected to take over Cubmaster duties.