Maintaining an Effective Commissioner Corps

Seattle, good question, but a tough one to answer.

Two councils ago, I was a unit commissioner. This council was very small, in a poor part of the country, but had a good grass-roots unit level tradition.

Council staff was lean. No unit commissioners for a long time in my district till another guy and myself were recruited. As I started to work for my units, there were equal measures of suspicion (who the heck is this guy, some silver loop dandy?) and amazement (you actually want to help us? Go to summer camp with us?). Long term scouters, and they hand't any experience with UCs, or poor perceptions from the past.

If a council has a tradition of no UCs, or weak UCs, recruitment is tough. Why? I think a dedicated scouter would be more inclined to sign up at unit level for service.

Two prime pools of potential UCs: unit level leaders who are ready for a new challenge--no surprise here. The other pool, and untapped (it seems to me): NESA. Many past Eagles may not have the time to dedicate at unit level, or may want to have the flexibility of a UC's schedule, or whathaveyou.

Then it's a matter of "rebuilding the brand." If the UC roster is full of place holders that don't support their units, or would rather hang out at district or council events more than help the troop, might be time to ask these folks to step up, or move to another spot in the district, or quietly depart.

Rat ... you are spot on.

The best way to do effective recruiting - much like in a Troop - is to have folks who *like* being a Commissioner. They'll do much of your "selling" for you.

And you make it so Commissioners like doing their job by providing them with the resources and training they need -- and still respecting the "other things" they want to do in Scouts. I have two Commissioners who work the range at our Camp. I can tell you were they are every weekend. But they each have one unit - and they service their respective units very well

And I keep a simple rule -- if you are a "Commissioner" you will service a unit. Doesn't matter if it is me as District Commissioner, or any other administrative commissioner - we are all registered and work as unit commissioners too.

And, you need to have regular communication with your Commissioners -- on a personal level -- not just via email or phone. You need to pay attention to what is being "said" -- and how well they feel about working with their units -- catch the "burn out" before it affects the relationships with the units.

And finally -- a liberal sprinkling of "thanks" never hurts. Recognize those who are doing that day-to-day work -- recognize the "little things" that they do that make all the difference.

And, as I said before ... we actually have units without Commissioners, right now ... we are recruiting ... but we also try to only recruit the 'right' people -- and we have passed on folks we didn't think had the right temperament.

A mandatory uniform inspection ... I don't think so. Helping a unit find a way to get uniforms when they are in an economic disadvantaged situation -- much more like it.

But I have also seen a scout brighten like a light bulb when I tell them they are "looking good" - and hand them an old Neighborhood Commissioner patch from pre-1970.

I consider myself very, very fortunate. I had the best teacher available when I became a Commissioner. A 50 year Commissioner who was the "Scout Commissioner" for a 2nd Class Council, and was trained by Daniel Carter Beard.

There is a good course in the College of Commissioner Science called "Good Commissioners need both head and heart" -- it really does sum up the best way to be a Commissioner, and for an administrative commissioner to manage a commissioner corps.

Interesting comments!

As a Scoutmaster from 1982-1987, I never had a visit from a UC. I probably would have benefitted from some advice at the time, I tended to be buried in my unit.

I'm always on the lookout for new district leaders or Unit Commissioners.

I recruited the former Cubmaster who was leaving as Webelos Den Leader as he was going out the door as our UC. He completed the adult leader application and I sent it on to our DE a year ago.

I just recently discovered he has never been formally appointed as UC and the District Commissioner had not heard of him.

I identified a Tiger Cub Den Leader last spring who had done an excellent job as Den Leader. I asked her to be our district "Chief Tiger Cub" to stay in touch with this years Tuiger Cub Den Leaders and provide them with encouragement, ideas and such, but I got turned down.

Just a couple of months ago she offered to "help" with our Cub Scout day camp, and now she's the Day Camp Director. So I figure I did a good job of picking out a likely prospect there anyway!

Perhaps we ought to target people with 2-3 years service as Scoutmaster, Cubmaster or Committee Chair and ask them about serving as UC ---- especially when they are leaving their job. They would be good prospects in many cases, I would suppose.

Unfortunately, I don't see our District Commissioners DOING all that much. Perhaps they do, but I don't see it much. Things seem to be slowly dissolving as the years go by.(This message has been edited by seattlepioneer)

UCEagle, your mentor's 50 years of experience must have been incredible on so many levels--I'm imagining how cool it would be to have some coffee with him.......

And I second the handing out of old patches--people really respond to that. And old handbook, an old position patch...amazing how folks deeply appreciate these things...usually a nominal cost or extras from a collection just sitting in a footlocker...someone else will value it and perhaps pass it along.

Seattle, you touched on something that I see to varying degrees in my travels--poor/no communication and foot dragging at district and council level. Your new UC's experience you mentioned is exhibit A. Ask a question on behalf of the unit you serve, and in my last council, it would literally take weeks to get an answer.

For example, again from last council: a great SM wanted to turn the troop over to the ASM and try something new, like serving on the training cadre. Bonus: not only a superb scout leader...he was active duty military, qualified instructor in orienteering, mountaineering, survival, etc. Dynamic, yet humble and with a great sense of humor.

And this council needed trainers....

So, sounds like a great hire, right? Nope. First it took three (3) months for someone at council to even respond to my repeated introduction of the SM. Then they said "don't call us, we'll call you" ala that song from the '70s.

Glad to say the council I'm in now is much more on the ball.

But red tape and sluggish responses from UCs, district and council folks, can really tarnish reputations and cause a gulf between units and the commissioners.

Maintaining would hopefully be easier than what most districts and councils face. Too many are in a continuous process of prospecting and recruiting. My question is how do you establish an effective commissioner corps?

I've read all the literature. I'm quite familiar with all the processes. I see recruiting new commissioners as the biggest obstacle a DC or ADC will deal with. Council commissioners face the same obstacles. I went the better part of a year as the only district commissioner in my council.

The same thing faces our district committees. Every district in the council is struggling to put effective silver tabs in place.

I've determined my staffing needs several times. For my district and our needs, we need between 30-35 commissioners and staff. I'd really love to have 40-45 for the different things we are expected to do. I have eight total. Of those, every one of us holds multiple positions at the unit, district and / or council levels. We do our best, but there's only so much we can do.

I believe in the Commissioner process. It can be effective and make a difference to Scouting, but at times I feel we are the forgotten step-children, of course until there's something that needs done NOW.

Apathy is our enemy. There are many great people in Scouting. Some do much more than expected. Some are a name on paper. It's really a sad affirmation for a program that's whole premiss is about service.

A few months ago both our District Executive and District Chair were absent from our District Committee meeting.

Well, when the cats' away the mice will play! We had a good complaint session with a good many people expressing their worries about declining district and commissioner volunteers!

That was past due, in my opinion.

Our DE replied a month or two later with a brainstorming session in which we identified 40-50 people who were possibilities as commissioner or district volunteers.

Unfortunately, we never had any feedback from our DE on using that list to solicit new volunteers. One person I suggested did become our Cub Scout Daycamp Chair. Somehow I think that proves the list needs to be more effectively exploited rather than that its yielded the limit of volunteers.

I suppose I ought to ask about that at our next district meeting. Perhaps we ought to have a phone-a-thon some night where we call all the people on the list and see if they are able to help us in some capacity.

So many rabbles to rouse--- so little time!

"My question is how do you establish an effective commissioner corps?"

(1) Get rid of all the paper Commissioners.

(2) Go outside the norm to recruit. Look at Cub Scout leaders whose sons are moving on to Boy Scouts. Look to older SMs who are stepping down. Look for long time SAs. Do not look at current silver tabs.

(3) Get the local NESA list - attack that list with vigor.

(4) Get the local OA Chapter adult member list (especially those who "were" active and have stepped back).

(5) Go after former District Commissioners

(6) Go after folks who are not Scouters, but who have "skills" you need. I needed someone who could work well in the Hispanic community and was fluent in Spanish (and the variants). I have a former Army recruiter who I can pair with an experienced Commissioner to work with our Hispanic Initiative units.

Just some ideas that I use when I am out looking for new commissioners ... which is a full-time and continuous job.

I have 68 traditional units and 4 Explorer Posts -- therefore I want at least 72 Commissioners ... in those "ideal worlds." ;-)

(I have 39 Commissioners, and I know that I have 5 who will not be re-registering come June.)(This message has been edited by UCEagle72)

"A previous administration caused a lot of mistrust and sour grapes. We are several years out and still reeling from the affects."

That is one of the biggest problems there is to overcome, unfortunately.

But it can be done, albeit on a much smaller scale. You start small and build.

You need to assign new UCs to the units that are 'critical' - but the only way you know if they are, is if you have evaluated them yourself. And try to assign them to only one unit in the beginning. If after a year, they'd be willing to take more, then you can look at adding another unit.

I can sympathize. I am a new District Commissioner myself, and I'm working on trying to build up our commissioner corps. We've got about 40 units in our district, so at minimum I need about 15 UCs. We have about 9 actually assigned to units, but a couple of those I think are "paper" commissioners. 1 in particular stands out. He's a former DE, now retired, and he claims to be UC for 2 units. I only knew about 1, and I know he doesn't visit that unit but maybe once or twice a year. I know this because it's the pack that my son is in. I'm at every pack meeting, and the only time I see this guy is at Blue and Gold and sometimes at our end of year crossover. His grandson is in the pack, which is why he comes. He never comes to District meetings, either. I found out yesterday that he told one of our crew advisors that he was their Unit Commissioner and to call him if they needed anything. But he's never been to a meeting.

So, I'm in the process of purging inactive or unuseable commissioners, and plan to start heavily recruiting new ones. Unfortunately, many of the active commissioners that we have are commissioners for their own unit that they are involved in. This stems from the old DE's day (same ex-DE mentioned above). I'm working to get that changed as well, or at least get those guys branched out to some additional units.

My DE and I sat down the other day to go over the units in the district and prioritize who needs a UC more than others. We've got our priority list, and I'm working on trying to visit each unit to evaluate them for myself.

It's gonna be a long road, but it will be worth it.

I believe the District Commissioner is the most critical person on the District Committee because they can control everything, bad or good. I have found through the years that there are very few people who can actually do the job right. First of all they need the gift of recruiting. Then they need to have vision and know how to organize and manage Unit Commissioners toward that vision. Good District Commissioners are rare to find. I personally think our commissioner was the cause of loosing at least 20 % of the scouts every year in our district. He didnt know how to prevent fires, only how to put them out, and not really good at that. But he is a one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and one of my dearest friends. He is now the Council Commissioner. Oh well.

Barry

Good luck Shilue --

If you need some more ideas, or words of encouragement, feel free to send me a PM.

I know the battles you are going through -- I have a few of those myself -- and June will help to separate the wheat from the chaff.