Looking for Spring Camporee ideas

Our troop is hosting the district spring camporee this May. The committee is still in its infancy, but we have come up with a theme: Scouting - Then & Now.

We liked the idea of using old methods and new methods for each station and are looking for ideas. One of ours was Orienteering. Each patrol would have to finish a compass course and then a gps course. Another would be cooking. Using a cooking fire vs a backpacking stove.

Can anyone think of what else would match up with a Then & Now theme?

Thanks for the help.

I think tenting/shelters then and now would make a good theme, if you can get hold of an old canvas tent or an old dining fly.

Backpacks have changed a lot also. I have an old one in my attic that is just a frame. How long ago did they start using internal frame backpacks?

have each troop do a pioneering project. Or have them all build a monkey bridge.

Maybe a timed tripod lashing contest. Fastest flagpole building and flag raising.

Matchless firestarting. (No magic fire water of course)

Orienteering, with tasks at each point

Build a trap/snare

semaphore signalling

morse code

wildlife identification

cooking

Those are just some that I could think of off the top of my head

And as always you can have a leaders cook-off

As can be seen, we are talking both equipment and technigue/skill differences.

If you can find the old gear, might pack up (frinstance) an M4 plywood packframe with a Yucca pack, filled with wool and polyolifin insulated sleeping bag, aluminum canteen, cookkit, metal box first aid kit, canvas tent, rubber nylon poncho, etc. strapped on with diamond hitch.... and then pack up a comparable Kelty/Gregory internal frame pack with comparable ultralight stuff. Compare weight, service, and let Scouts try'em on.

Oh Yeah. Shazaam! The Diamond Hitch... wow I remember doing that with and old wooden pack frame and canvas bag... and signalling and Morse... classic old First Class requirements. Mebbe dig up some old rank requirements from the early days and see what kinda interesting stuff you run across...

There's a competition for you... give advance notice so the Patrols can study up on it, then space'm across a 200 yard wide "gorge", and have them "attempt" (ha!) to send and receive Wig Wag signals with the neckerchief tied to a Scout Staff. Dot to the right (Patrol medallion is a round Dot), dash to the left (Troop number is a long Dash), space is down, period is up-down, up is 'tween letters. Hey, put one Patrol on the north side, one Patrol on the south. Each sends a message to the other, if it is received correctly, they both get points!

We had a district do a backpacking comporee. The patrols set up camp Friday night, break camp and hike three miles to another camp on Saturday. They have to stop and do several skills competitions along they way. This can be done at a larger scout camp with each patrol taking different paths.

Our Troop did something similar using biking, hiking and canoes. We didnt break camp, but did carry packs. We did 12 skills competitions spread between the legs. Surprisingly to all of us, all the patrols finished by 1:30 in the afternoon. We thought it would go a lot longer.

Barry

The thread about the hectograph (which, as luck would have it, I remember doing as an experiment a long time ago), made me think about another old style technology.

Let the Scouts communicate across the "gorge" by Wig Wag, Semiphore, and ...Heliograph, perhaps home made?

Ask the Scouts to develope their own method?