What do you expect to get from RoundTable?

Have you talked to your District Commissioner? Do you attend the District Commissioners meetings at all?

Roundtable Commissioners, and their staff, are part of the District Commissioner Service, not the District Training Staff. They report to, and are responsible to, the District Commissioner. This might be part of why your RT Commissioners feel like you are stepping on their toes. You should be working WITH the Commissioner Service.

Roundtables are not just thrown together the night before. There is a lot of prior planning that goes into putting together each Roundtable. Instead of planning trainings that take place the same time as the Roundtables, and making the participants choose one, or the other, to attend, run the trainings first, so that the training participants can then go right from your training to Roundtable, and make sure to advertise that fact. If you want to have a special training take up part, or all, of a month's Roundtable agenda, this should be discussed with, and approved by, the District Commissioner, and the Roundtable Commissioners, months in advance. That way the current Roundtable plans can be adjusted to include material that is being bumped from that evening, and the "special" Roundtable can be properly advertised to the unit Scouters.

As for getting out info at RT, just like at Pack meetings, and COH's, put the info in a flier, and then direct folks to the flier for that information.

The purpose of Roundtables, and the Commissioner Service, is to help units build good, strong, programs. Roundtables do that by providing motivation, enthusiasm, program ideas, information, and yes, even training.

Moose, I believe the topics for RT you brought up are legit and as a brand new BS RTC I will be bringing them up for our district.

I also pose the questions:

1) For the those that can't stand the thought of going to a RT, what would it take to get you to attend and participate? If you were to be in charge of a BS RT, what topics would you discuss or what ideas would you bring to the table (old, tried and true, or new)?

2) For those of you that attend RT what has been discussed/done that has really grabbed your attention - the WOW Effect? Could you convince new and/or veteran scouters and parents to attend? What would you do/say to pursuade them?

3) If an hour is too long for a meeting and 1 1/2 - 2 hours is way too long, then what is considered acceptable for a meeting that is held once a month?

I was given fair warning not to expect the seasoned veterens to attend RT because they "know everything and can be taught nothing." I would love to see the veterans as well as the new scouters at RT because I can learn from them and share with them. I don't see my position as one of supreme authority and control but rather as one of service and sacrifice. I want to work with everyone and vice-versa. I want to network and help to make scouting an awesome experience for the boys. I want the input and as well as the feedback.

ScoutNut - The guy who is running RT is the District Commissioner, because he hasn't found anyone else to run it.

That said, this information came from National only about a month ago..

I made sure that the DE and the Council Program Director got the information (because I got it from this forum, and it seemed they were clueless..) I handed it to them, with the letter from National which stated to plan to discuss it at Round Table..

Then I stepped away.. I figured they would figure out how they wanted to present it.. Our RT is this Monday, and I only asked Friday if they were ready to present it, out of curiosity because I put the wheel in motion so to speak..

The DE knew of the changes, but failed to tell anyone else, obviously the Program Director also failed to discuss it at the council meeting because the DC was totally clueless..

That is when I offered to help present the information..

Do I feel this it Training? No.. This is presenting information of changes to the program..

Was this my place to do the presentation? No.. It should be someone from council or one of our Key 3 who are apart of council.. But, I only offered because they were not prepared..

Given that, I saw no reason to arrange an organized training on the subject, because it was not my job to do so..

Also I disagree about the training needing to be instead of normal RT.. Most people take YPT, of those who took YPT that night NOONE who was there normally attended RT.. So why would you cancel you normal RT in order to hold this training?

If I held a piece of IOLS at RT, the breakouts might be down one or two people, but 95% of those who attend RT do not need to do IOLS training.. So why would you cancel your normal RT in order to hold this training?

Basically 90% to 95% of those who need the basic training, or of those who are not taking the YPT on-line is not those who normally attend RT.

Starting 1/2 an hour early would not be enough time for a training.. They are normally 1 1/2 to 2 hours in length.. Asking people to get to RT early to go to RT afterwards is asking them to arrive at 5pm. Some people have an hour to drive from work to get to the RT, and that is if there jobs are within the district area, if they work out of the district area it may be more like having a 1 1/2 to 2 hour commute..

We always allowed the participants to come in see the general RT informational session, then when Breakouts happened, we then had them go to the training sessions. That way they got a feel for what RT is all about.

First of all, sounds like the RT commish is a bit stressed. If he does feel that this sort of info is inappropriate for a RT, I would expect a polite "Unfortunately we already have a full program for RT and can't add new material, but thank you" sort of reply. That you appraently got something less polite makes me think the commish has some other problems causing him to be testy. (I'm assuming you didn't state your request as "hey, I've got something interesting to spice up your boring RTs...").

Personally I think that sort of info would be great for RT. Frankly, it's more useful than half of what we get at ours. Since the guy running RT disagrees, maybe - if the facility is available - you could suggest having a "training session" on the new forms immediately following RT. Send a nice letter to the RT Commish appologizing and say you weren't trying to hijack his meeting, but would really like to get this info out to the units since it might cause some problems and they'll need a little time to prepare, so, if you tack on a short 5-10 minutes session after RT for anyone interested in attending...

Exactly the type of response I would have expected JMHawkins.. A polite, thanks but no thanks.. Or something about we don't have time for a verbal presentation, Maybe a breif flyer on the highlights of the changes, and the links as to where they can find the forms and a more detailed explanation.. Or something to that effect..

But no, he sent his poison pen, I sent my poison response, and I told our DE that unless the DC would like to sit down with me and discuss his concerns with me, in an intellegent manner. I will not attend anymore Roundtables..

Not in any attempt to have the unit volunteers hurt by the fued. Or in anyway cut off my own nose to spite my face..

But, more because there is obviously something that I am doing that is frustrating the DC and unless I know what it is, it is best I do not walk around on his turf..

007 -- Not to be snotty about it, but we do that thread a couple times a year.

Currently -- http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=300672

October -- http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=256241

May -- http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=276988&p=1

And if you really want to know how I feel, see my post from last Feb. at http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=263500

Here is the current year RT planning guide:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/511-942.pdf

From the publication:

"The mission of the Boy Scout roundtable is to provide quality resources, knowledge, and skills to unit leaders to enable and motivate them to deliver an outstanding

program to their Scout troops. Roundtables focus on program highlights for upcoming months, not on the current month."

In other words, it's supplemental training to support unit serving Scouters in making their programs happen.

Personally, I think the new Tour Plan process is a big enough change to program implementation that it deserves to be part of RT. So does my District Key 3. We're doing something at the March RT.

I do think, though, since we first started discussing Tour Plans a few weeks ago, that you should have been onto your DE and DC asking for time then and there. Lining up resources takes energy from volunteers, like you and I ... and yes, HIM. Even in my District, unless it's a Key 3 "This trumps everything" decision, a change to RT a couple weeks out is going to be responded to with "Can you do some paper and a 1 minute announcement?"

We all have to play nice.

Frankly I think it was a good thing for the Training Chair to wish to give the important news of a new kind of trip permit to unit leaders.

But since that effort wasn't well received by the District Commissioner/Roundtable Commissioner, I'd toss that into the DE's lap and let him deal with it.

He must work with the District Commissioner a lot, and I imagine that he can decide how to get the word out to unit leaders.

Last Thursday our DE did a presentation at a joint Cub Scout/Boy Scout Roundtable on BOTH the new Journey To Excellence award AND the Trip Planning Worksheet. That took about 15 minutes.

It DID mean we ran over my one hour time limit for Roundtable, but I think everyone thought it time well spent.

Moosetracker, I'm surprised your DE didn't take over from you plans to present this information. I'd say it's his job to pick up the pieces when two volunteers find themselves with some conflict.

While unfortunate, things like that happen from time to time. I hope both parties will let this go and plan to continue to work together in the future.

Moosetracker, let me get this straight:

Your district lacks a RTC and the DC is currently running roundtables.

A volunteer (you) stepped forward with important info to pass on and the DC didn't snag that volunteer up and recruit them as the new RTC?!?!

Sounds like this DC has dropped the ball (again).

No further comment. As others have said, look back at previous roundtable threads.

Twocubdad, thanks for the advice. I'll certainly look back at the previous RT threads that you reference. I merely posted my questions because this was a current thread and wanted to know if there was something new info that could get veterans to RT.

I know from past personal experience that our past DE was running the RTs as there was no BS RTC. And not to put too fine a point on it but they were boring. I don't want to repeat what I experienced. I want to spearhead something that people want to go out of their way to come to without thinking it is a total waste of time. Some people will still have a bad taste in their mouths but that may take time to heal or they may wish to remain set in their ways. Either way, as long as whatever is accomplished is going to be the best program for the boys.

Well let me see........

15 minutes going around the room introducing ourselves again.....then the regional school rivlarys

15 minutes of the roundtable staff yucking around about inside jokes and stuff the rest of us have no idea whats so funny

half an hour break for coffee.

break into cub and bs specific.....the commisioner reads directly from the roundtable commisioners book for the next half an hour,... then cookie break more yucking around then go home.

Helpful info at roundtable would be nice.

I think Basement would just like all the wasted time with introductions, jokes, coffee and cookie time etc pulled out.. Someone taking more prep time on the breakout session then reading from a book.. Then anything you can put into that extra time that is related to helping them run a better program..(or maybe a shorter session)..

His is all about how a RT should not be run, rather then how a RT should be run.. Probably hasn't seen any thing resembling a good RT to offer much creative ideas on what that would be..

yep

Too much wasted time, considering I have to drive an hour to get their.

Upcoming council and district events, upcoming training, with associated flyers

Solid Boy scout program

Solid cub program....

If your going to just read directly out of the book, just send me the PDF in email.

I don't need your cookies and you can't make coffee to save your life.

The last two round table Guard members put on slide shows about their deployment to Iraq and the other Afghanistan.......I respect what they did, but not interested.....sorry.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)