Can a charter rep also be a Scoutmaster??

Hello to all, About 9 mos ago I joined the Scout troop my son is in, its a small troop and I was made Asst-Scoutmaster.

At the start of the new year we changed Charters and I was made Charter Rep and now there seems to be a debate on whether or not I can hold both Charter Rep and Asst-Scoutmaster jobs at the same time some say yes and some say no.

Is there a place that I can find this info?? Thanks for any help.

Yah, welcome chkhboom.

Yeh can't be Chartered Organization Representative (COR) and hold an appointment as a unit leader (Scoutmaster - SM) or assistant unit leader (Assistant Scoutmaster - ASM).

You can, as COR, be dual registered as a Member of the Committee (MC) or as Committee Chair (CC).

Generally speakin', your troop leaders should go to the Institutional Head of your chartered organization (IH of your CO) and ask him/her to select the COR out of the membership of the chartered organization, and then get that person to COR training. It's best when the COR comes from and represents the chartered organization, and helps keep the troop in touch and vice versa, because that's the real role. Yeh don't want that stuff takin' up the time of those who are doing the more important work of directly supporting the kids' program.

Thanks for da work you're doin' to support scouting in your area, whatever your role!

Beavah

Ditto what others have said, can't do both. But that doesn't stop you from being active when you can. I have seen IHs go camping with their units.

Also as others have stated, it's best if the COR is a member of the CO as they are the direct representative of the CO.

Some other responsibilities include sitting on the district committee and council executive board.

Anyone notice something conflicting on the form? The first part says the CR can only double register as CC or MC.....The second part says that the ScoutParent Unit coordinator may also register as CR....

"No one may register in more than one position in the

same unit, except the chartered organization representative (who can multiple only as the committee chairman (CC) or a committee

member (MC)) and the ScoutParent unit coordinator (who may multiple as chartered organization representative (CR),

assistant den leader (DA), assistant Webelos den leader (WA), assistant Scoutmaster (SA), assistant Varsity Scout Coach (VA),

mate (MT), and leader of the 11-year-old Scouts)."

Anyone notice something conflicting on the form? The first part says the CR can only double register as CC or MC.....The second part says that the ScoutParent Unit coordinator may also register as CR....

Hmm, an inconsistency! I'd say the spirit of the thing is that the ScoutParent Coordinator is really a specialized Committee Member, and the CR can dual register as an MC. Since the COR is the official rep and member of the CO, for those units that recruit heavily from the CO's membership, it might make a lot of sense for the COR to be heavily involved with new parents. And in any event, it's a volunteer organization and things will get done by whoever has the time, energy and passion to get them done.

But as far as dual-registration goes, the key thing is to not have all the main leadership possitions wrapped up with one person. A one-man show where the same person was COR, CC and SM would have all sorts of weaknesses. Besides the obvious dangers of the Troop collapsing if the one-man got sick or burned out, I think a separation between the SM and Committee models good authority structures for the boys.

The SM isn't a dictator (benign or otherwise), he's just somebody entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and authority, and is also formally accountable to others (the Committee). Most prior experience boys will have had with authority won't have had that visible accountability. From their point of view Parents, Pastors, Teachers and Coaches are all basically installed by God, or at least by forces unknown to the kids. Letting them see an adult with significant authority be accountable in an every-day matter-of-fact manner for how he uses it is a great lesson. Part of the Association with Adults bit, I think.

• 3 years later...