U.S. Heritage Award Nation Trails

I recently became aware of the U.S. Heritage Award offered by a company called Nation Trails. After reading some comments in another forum, dated in 2008, the overwhelming response was to stay as far away from them as possible due to poor customer service. However it seems Nation Trails may have resolved the issue. Have any of you experienced long delays in receiving the awards recently or have any feedback on their service?

I looked at the link above, and I'm a little bit underwhelmed.

It looks like this is the website of some entrepeneurially spirited individual(s) who had some medals manufactured, and is willing to sell them to anyone who asserts that they have met certain requirements.

I have nothing against entrepenuerially spirited persons, but I'm not sure I see the point. They have nothing to do with the BSA, so the resulting medal really shouldn't be worn on the uniform.

I suspect that equally handsome medals can be purchased at local trophy shops, hobby stores, etc. I really don't see how these are much different.

Hi!

As a Cub Scout den leader I have used both programs. I have not used Nation's and Trails since they supposedly underwent their changes. I implemented their program several years ago, and had no problem with them. More recently I have used the Youth Patriotism program, and love it. I like Youth Patriotism because it is such a larger program than Nations and Trails. I started this program with my Cubs as Wolf Scouts. They earned a medal that year, their Bear Year, and will earn the final two in their Webelos years. I have had nothing but good service with youth patriotism, and do fell that their program really adds to my overall Scout program.

Hope This helps,

~Pixie

I used the Nation Trails program in April 2010. Ordered and received the product without a hitch. No problems whatsoever.

I used a credit card to place the order. With a credit card, you have 60 days to dispute the charge should the company fail to deliver. If a company wants to sell me product, that is more than enough time to get it into my hands. ;)

Thank you all for the great feedback. It sounds like Trails has corrected their issues and now I have another option if I choose to do so as.

I really like the information our scouts can learn from both of these programs, which focuses on one of scouting best assets, God and country. But after reading clemlaws response it sounds like the boys wouldnt be able to wear the medal if it is earned. If that is the case does BSA have a similar program in place with awards that can be worn on their uniform?

I think it would be a discouraging for a boy to work so hard to receive a cool looking medal only to be told he cant display on his uniform. Can it be displayed on the red vest along with other patches earned?

"But there are only a handful of medals that are authorized for uniform wear."

Uh, not quite true.

This is little different from the MANY MANY historical trail medals out there, most of which are approved by the BSA to be worn on the uniform. Occasionally you'll see these worn.

I see the Nation Trails awards little different.

Further, we have various contest medals (for the various cub scout contests, but we also had generic ones for Boy Scouts for several decades).

Hi.. I am the founder of Youth Patriotism Awards and am glad to hear that the program is still being discussed. Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have about it.

The medals are custom designed by me - as well as the requirements for the awards. I originally created the program to give leaders an alternative award (and program guide/assist) to other programs that were having customer service challenges.

My program has served Scouts and other youth in 27 states and is now an Official Award of the American Heritage Girls.

As to wearing the medal, the vast majority of Scouts that I have talked to are treating my medals like historic trail medals and are wearing them over the left pocket on special occassions. I have designed a patch as well and of course that can be worn on the right pocket per the Uniform guide.

I look forward to hearing from many of you... especially since, as a Scout leader myself, I have enjoyed and leveraged the vast knowledge on this forum.

Yours in Scouting,

Brian

My boys wear them on their red vests, just as they do for pinewood derby or rocket derby medals (sold at scout shop). I utilize Youth Patriotism as a supplement to the program. I have come to look at it as invaluable, although NOT a replacement for the program.

~Pixie

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My son and I both recently completed the requirements for the gold award (he'd earned the silver award as a Cub Scout).

I ordered our award sets on February 12. I received an e-mail confirmation of shipping on February 15. And the awards arrived in today's mail (February 21.).

I can't speak for all, of course, but they state "Please allow up to 10 business days for processing", and I received my order in 9 total days, so, for us, they're certainly delivering as promised.

It's a nice looking patch and metal, so, hopefully, they'll continue to do so for others as well.