Who Causes the Most Trouble in Units?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who causes the most trouble in our unit? Me!

I keep wanting to take the scouts places they have never been before. I push for the scouts to do things they have never done before. I keep wanting the scouts to do things away from their parents. I keep asking scouts to do more and lead more than they have in the past. I keep asking the parents to do more MB counselling beside their sons. For the parents bring us ideas and places we have never gone. Although thrifty I spend money too.

All this stuff disrupts the apple cart.

As the Scoutmaster, I am by far the biggest trouble maker in our Troop.

I am thinking of banning myself. Talks haven't worked. :)

I think we all know the answer to this one!

I asked da wife who is also big into girl scouts and the PTO. She just rolled her eyes.

Scouts cause behavior issues you can deal with. Parents cause trouble that lasts. And yes, it's the parents who don't volunteer that cause the most trouble. But in their eyes I'm the one causing trouble by enforcing rules and standards and generally not running things "their way," which of course we don't know what way that is, because they don't get involved to let us know. All they know is that after something is done, it's not the way it should have been done.

But, by now they know that if they don't contribute, I don't listen to their complaints. Which means they just complain behind my back. C'est la vie!

I have an agreement with my CC that she handles all the issues with adults/parents and I as SM handle all the issues with the boys. I hear about it, but it's usually handled by her first and has my back on all issues. She has complete knowledge of the boy-led, patrol-method approach and is in 100% agreement with me on it.

Works really nice to keep one focused on the boys and their program.

Your mileage may vary,

Stosh

Big applause for Thomas54.

Non-leader parents are always a concern.

Know-it-alls are high on the list too. Many times they still won't shut up even when you site why they can't/shouldn't do something.

From a commissioner's perspective, the majority of bigger unit issues arise from Untrained leaders or those that may have gone to training but didn't pay attention (or whatever) because they are know-it-alls.

Finally, don't forget the Generals. Those Scouters who've been around since Moses was a Scout. They were trained way back when, but never bothered to go back for training as things changed.

The parents who never bother to understand the program beyond the list of requirements. They see the program as one big To Do list to get out of the way. It's these folks who see scouting as just a resume item. I've literally had parents like this tell me they want their son to make Eagle ASAP so he can move on and do other things.

Then there's they parent with an MBA and 20 years as a certified financial planner who thinks Personal Management is a cake walk and is ticked we're making his boy jump through all these "hoops". (Of course this guy is too important/busy to be a counselor.)

Seems we have a consensus. I've said and repeated that most (all) problems are caused by a lack of training; SM's training the new scout parents of what the program is about, and that they're expected to be here to help; Break in the parents early and it's a cake walk after that!; Committee members who are above getting trained (we've solved that problem-if an adult wants to be on the committee, we tell them to get their training and then come see the CC), Wood Badge trained leaders that seem to have missed the "boy lead" component of the program (grrrrr).

From this side of the monitor a "Overtrained" committee member is one without field experience with the actual scouts, or leaders in the unit(s) but can quote "the rules"

Examples would be uniforms required while traveling, or no driving after dark.

AK-Eagle, "From this side of the monitor a "Overtrained" committee member is one without field experience with the actual scouts, or leaders in the unit(s) but can quote "the rules""

How is this being "Over" trained? I would think this is "under" trained.

AK-Eagle, "Examples would be uniforms required while traveling,"

If your in my vehicle you will have a uniform on. You can take your shirt off and just wear a tee. But the shirt goes back on if you get out at a stop. Call me an old fuddy duddy but I think its important to look like a scout when your on a scout outing.

AK-Eagle, "or no driving after dark."

While it may not be a rule its a good idea if it can be avoided.