District Chair also Serving as a Charter Organization Representative

Eagle92, although the COR is considered a council/district position and may wear the silver shoulder loops, isn't it also a unit position? I have seen the COR position listed on our troop's charter roster and I assume the person's annual registration fee is charged to the troop. Am I incorrect about that?

To bsasfl: Are you also planning on becoming the CC for your units, in addition to the COR and District Chair? You mentioned something about that in your original post but it was not clear. Obviously CC would be a unit position (regardless of the classification of COR) and would be a mark against your district (but not your units, presumably) in the Journey to Excellence ratings. (Not that I really think those are a big deal, and as far as I know at this point my troop isn't planning to participate, although we almost always made Quality Unit under the old system.)

bsafl

Probably what your friend was thinking was on a Unit Charter the only dual registered position allowed is COR/CC. Your district or council position would be on a different charter so no problem. You guys do realize that even though the COR is considered a voting member of the council their primary registration is always on the Unit Charter.

NJ,

You are correct in that they are listed on the charter, and the fee is part of the unit charter, unless paid by another one of their unit's. But for whatever reason, national classifies them as council level scouters, not unit scouters.

I didn't know that Risk Management Chair was a Commissioner Service position. If it isn't, I wasn't aware that the District Commissioner could "fire" someone from the District Committee. Granted, the outcome is probably acceptable, but I'd be keeping an eye on a District Commissioner or District Executive that thought they could fire one of my committee people if I were District Chair.

Calico

Usually letting any district committe member go should be a joint decision of the Key3. A district commissioner does have the right to let a unit commisioner if they are not doing their job but these kind of decisions are usually made in a weekly Key 3 meeting.

I have only been involved in Scouting since 2007 and a COR since 2008, so I am only giving you my opinion and not trying to start an argument. I have to disagree with the COR not being considered a unit leader. My membership card specifically identifies me as COR for "My" Troop. It lists my council, my district, and my Troop. I also have one for my Crew as well. I know the wording says I am a voting member of the Council, but everyone registered in the Council is a member of the Council, only difference is that I have the right to vote on District or Council business.

As far as the Journey to Excellence goal of District Chair not being part of a unit....for most districts I would probably say "Wishful Thinking." It's hard enough to get people to volunteer at the unit level and involve them with the district.

krier

I too am now a COR/CC for my venturing crew so I understand your concern, but COR stands for Charter Organization Representative not Troop XYZ Representative your job is to represent the organization sponsoring your unit and to be a liason between them and your organization. Technically that means you are not a unit rep but a voting council member representing the CO. As the CC (committee chair) I also am a unit leader heading up the committee working with the crew advisors to help deliver a great program for the teens, so if you want a piece of both worlds you could also become the CC which links you to both the unit and CO. It has been hard for me to give up being the crew advisor, which I was for over 7 years and am now more in the background, however the advisors and teens are constantly asking me to go on trips with them which I love to do every so often. The current advisor and assoc. advisors were originally youth members of the crew when I was the advisor so we have a strong bond and history together that makes me still feel an integral part of the crew.

Unfortunatey you will not change my opinion. I believe the COR is still part of the Unit even though he/she represents the CO. The COR is eligible to earn the Scouter's Training Award and one of the requirements is to serve 2 years as a registered Boy Scout Leader of which they are considered as well as participate in the Troop activities.

I think this all comes down to semantics. People will argue that the "Leaders" are the SM/ASM & CM/ACM and everyone else is administration (even though BSA refers to them as leaders). There really is no clear and decisive document that provides clarification. As I said it comes down to peoples opinions. I think that a lot people would say not because there are a lot of of disconnected CO's out there and the COR's are nothing more than someone on a piece of paper and are not really involved. I am one of the involved COR's. I went to SM/ASM training, IOLS, etc. My son is in the Troop and I attend each weekly meeting to help out where I can as well as attend all the Committee Meetings of which I am an active participant and also vote on Troop business. In addition I attend outings as well.

My goal is to advance our Troop as well as see that it meets the goals of my CO.

Krier,

A few things.

1) I am just repeating what the literature says.

2) I wish EVERY COR was 1/2 as involved as you are. Unfortnately my exopereince with 95% of CORs is that they are in name only. By all means STAY ACTIVE WITH ALL OF YOUR UNITS (caps for emphasis because the few CORS I have met tend to have fun with their troop and/or crew, but not with the pack.

4)If the COR is active on the district level, then they are also eligible for the DISTRICT COMMITTEE KEY, just cannot double dip on tenure.

While we may disagree on semantics, one thing we both agree on is that YOU ARE ACTIVE which is GREAT! ;)