BeAScout.Org is an on line BSA recruiting tool that allows those looking for a Cub Scout Pack, Boy Scout Troop or Venturing Crew to search their area using an on line map for units which appeal to them and then make on line e-mails to those units for additional information.

It's pretty slick, but units need to update their "pin" which pops up when their unit is selected.

I updated my unit pin a couple of months ago, and I think I have a good one.

Today I was rewarded by my first on line inquiry:

"I have a 6 year old and 8 year boys I would like to get into cub scouting."

That included additional information such as contact information and noted that this originated from an "on line search"

So even though my council hasn't been promoting this website, it's already able to work for us if we are "prepared" with an updated pin.

To sample how this works, you can go to beascout.org.

for an address enter 1020 SW 128 st, burien, wa 98108

select the first unit on the list, pack 240 to view the pin.

You can try any other BSA unit (such as your own) to see what your pin looks like.

It's probably time to start updating those pins to take advantage of this new membership tool.

For those who don't know how to do it...

The checkboxes on the bottom left under "Fields Displayed on Google Pin" control which fields you can edit. So, check the ones you want, then enter the info to be displayed.

I can edit all the units that I'm the chartered rep for and I assume that unit leaders (SM, CM, etc.) and committee chairs also have the ability to update the google pin on the map.

As an fyi...when I updated my unit's pin on the map, about 8 people got an e-mail notification all the way up to the DE and some district folks. So, if you play with it a bunch, you will generate quite a few e-mails.

2nd fyi...the drop down list next to Primary Contact Person is a great way to harvest BSA member IDs if you don't have a copy of your recharter report handy (particularly for new adult leaders). The member ID can then be fed back into a user's profile on MyScouting to theoretically match up any Scouter's online training with their council's database.

Al,

I just pulled all the Member I.D. numbers for my unit and checked their training records. All seem to be accurate and up to date. It's easy if you have the I.D. numbers but you can also do it in the Advanced Search mode with some basic information (name, email, city, state).