New BSA Medical Forms

I don't like SSN numbers on the forms because we can't guarantee at all times that the form is secured.

We turn a copy in at day camp, and it's never returned (unless we go by and raise a fuss when we check out and then they'll begrudgingly give it back). During camp it sits out in headquarters where a lot of volunteers could have access to it. they are scouters, so they must be trustworthy. [roll eyes] We turn in a copy for an OA overnighter, and it wanders off never to be seen again.

We turn in a copy at summer camp, and it's usually returned and that's probably about the safest place it ever is, except when the scoutmaster has it locked up in the scoutmaster's office--except then in an emergency hopefully someone can get into the scoutmaster's office.

Sent off an electronic copy of it to National Jamboree--hopefully that's been deleted, but who knows, if that info is hijacked it has a lot of info to compromise someone's identity, doesn't it?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eagle92, Definitely understand the HIPAA thing on the mind. I am an EMS Instructor and preceptor. Seems as though it can be hard at times to get the idea of privacy through some students heads! lol

5yearscouter, I understand what you are saying about the security of the forms. I have the same concerns. At my camp, I keep the forms locked up in my health lodge where only certain people have access to the information. Security of these forms is very important to me, not because HIPAA applies, but because it is the right thing to do, and there are additional state statutes regarding the security of private health information. As for returning the forms at the end of the session, that is something that will be changing this year. We have been told by the Youth Camp licensing authority in the State of Minnesota these forms have to be retained per state statute. Speaking with some of the folks at National, this is becoming a national trend. So, do not be surprised if one of these days you ask for forms at the end of a session, only to find out they will not be returned. Make sure to send copies only to any activity!

If National creates a policy where everyone follows the same rules for keeping these forms SAFE from outside prying eyes, that would be ideal. following perhaps the strictest of state laws. I really hope the requirement isn't that you hold the forms indefinitely in some file cabinet where the forms will eventually outnumber the amount of safe storage space. Shredding after a certain amount of time seems like it would be appropriate.

At the end of the camping week, we will be placing forms in envelopes by unit number. Envelopes will be sealed and these envelopes will be placed into storage boxes, which will be sealed at the end of the camping season. The boxes will then be stored in locked storage. Forms will be destroyed after seven years. This is not a repository for forms, we will not be making copies of forms for scouts and scouters who need forms for other purposes, no forms will be accessed or copied unless necessary to comply with state or federal laws, or court orders.