Ute to Adult Registration

I double checked with our registrar, just to make sure I had this right.

If a registered Scout registers as a Venturer, then that is a "transfer" and is $1.

If a registered Scout registers as an Adult, then that is a new registration and is $15 (for the background check fee).

I just did a bunch of youth and adult transfers last week including a new ASM who just turned 18. The fee was $1 for each as they had already paid their membership fee of $15 for the current year during the last rechartering period. I also submitted an adult application for a new parent who wanted to join and paid a reduced rate on the yearly membership fee ($2.50) which was based on how much time is left on the current charter. I know background checks will be run on both as they are new adult applications, but no one mentioned having to pay full price to cover it. I guess that money comes out of the pot at rechartering time.

Chazz Lees

Must be something each council decides on.. Our new registrations mid-year are also prorated, not full amount to pay for the background check (I thought the prorated amounts were listed on the registration form).

Strange, thought this was a price set at National.

Applications should be prorated.

I've seen no issues with not reregistering in mid-year for a Scout who turns 18. Now, if he takes on an adult role - SA, Troop Committee, etc. he would need to register but that should only be $1 transfer fee. Registration for an adult or a youth is the same fee. Think of it this way, if your son will turn 18 on June 30th, do you think the BSA would let you charter your son for only six months and only pay 50% of the registration fee?

Sorry to "borrow" the thread, but that's a great movie. When my son did Law Merit Badge at summer camp one year (I know that sounds strange, but it did happen), the counselor (an attorney) showed them excerpts of that movie, not just for its comedic value, but the courtroom scenes do have some resemblance to how things actually work (though there are fewer jokes in real life, of course.) If you are going to show kids part of a movie to show them what happens in a courtroom, I'm not sure what a better choice would be. The courtroom scenes in "Caine Mutiny" are great, but take awhile to get to the point, and "A Few Good Men" is great but some of the language is not youth-friendly.

As for the actual subject of this thread, I seem to recall from when the new "Strategic Plan" was being discussed, something about making the transition from one unit to another more "seamless." It would be nice if they would make the transition from youth to adult status "seamless" as well.

I think there is a place called Ute Medow at Philmont.

I don't even think the $1 transfer should be charged, because he is not transferring from one unit to another, he is staying in the exact same unit, but I suspect the tranfer fee will be asked for.

In truth I suspect those who will turn 18 during the charter year should only be charged the registration fee for a partial year in the first place, because until they pass the background check and do YPT training they can't be an adult member. However, I doubt this will fly with BSA.

The pro-rated fees are on the registration form and are set by national. Your council can add other fees as part of the recharter/registration process such as extra insurance, but the basic BSA registration fee is set by national and is printed on the form, as is the subscription fee for Boy's Life which may also be pro-rated.

Please note these new adults will need the background checks and must take YPT before an adult application can be processed.

Please note also that an 18 year old may serve as an Assistant Scoutmaster, but not a Troop Committee Member, which requires being 21. I think SA is the only adult position open to an 18 y/o, and if memory serves me, back in the dark ages this was a special provision for Eagles only.

OGE - Our venturers/SA's only pay one fee to whichever unit they are primary. They are a multiple of the other unit(s). I leave it up to the boys to decide which they want. Another advisor in our council automatically registers his boys as primary with the crew when they turn 18 and it's up to them to push the adult application, which costs nothing since it is a multiple application.

PE - "Special provision" for Eagle's must have been a local rule. All of my young ASM's growing up were not Eagles.

Regardless, National only gets $15/year from each of our members. We don't pay extra (not even $1) to promote a youth to adult in the same unit.

As has been said, All scouting is local, in the COuncil I serve, a 19 year old who is a an assistant scoutmaster and a crew member registers once as an adult and then as a youth and pays full price both times as our registrar says thats the only way it can be done.

He could be wrong