Dutch oven cooking in driveway?

A Scout is thrifty....

A 55 gallon drum cut in half and two old truck rims make a great pair of dutch oven cooking rigs. Drop the bare steel wheel on the ground and place the solid side of the drum on it and it is off the ground, won't burn the grass and keeps the wind from killing the coals. We use them camping and at home. Try and get some newer wider steel wheels as older wheels tend to be narrower and allow the heat to scorch the grass. I made 4 of these for $25. Hawkrod

Thanks everyone. I was not sure if a regular metal tub would work or if the fire would burn through it and then I'd be in trouble for messing up the driveway. :-) I will give this a try!

I'm taking my Webelos over to ADL's house to work on Pinewood Derby cars next week and would love to have some cobbler or chili or something going while we work. So this will work for that too.

We have used big wasgtubs and put about 6 inches of sand in the bottom and then built the fire on that. The sand insulates the ground underneath and the tub doesn't burn away.

You can also build a fire box. Wooden table made of 2X4 and plywood. Make a 2' by 3 ' flat table with legs about a foot and a half to two foot tall. Used more 2X4's to build up the sides on top of the table.

You can cover this with galvanized flashing otr just leave bare.

Again, put sand in te bottom to protect the wod from the heat and to last way, way longer.

We built one out of scrap wood you can pick up from any construction site. I think we maybe bought $3.00 worth of nails to hold it together.

Yeah, I saw the hog pan deal (aluminum, with like a 3 inch lip) at Scouter's Academy here in 09, and said: I'm in.

Double them up (one upside down below), and you can almost cook on a lawn (if I was, I'd probably put a few rocks in between the two pans). When I double without insulation, often there is no charring on the grass underneath.

Ordered mine from www.hardwareworld.com since I didn't have a Tractor Supply nearby.

I use a flat oil drip pan from the local Napa store. Cost me $7, I use a charcoal chiminey starter to get the coals good and hot, then spead them out on the pan, I can cook with 2 ovens on this set-up.

If it need to be off the ground, I support it with a series of 6 to 8 patio paver bricks, I've seen cinder blocks used as well.

However, if its on concrete without any type of stamping or coloring in the concrete - you can place it directly on the ground. you'd have to get uber hot to damage the concrete surface.