Perhaps I am over-analyzing this, but I think my family has reached some sort of turning point as far as our involvement in scouting. In years past, we would keep our family appointments on a free calendar that was handed out at church, courtesy of a local funeral home (and of course, bearing their advertisement). To this would be added the mix of school events, family occasions, and scouting events. This year is different - we are now using a nice booklet style calendar produced by our Council that is pre-populated with all council and district scouting events, and to which I added our troop and pack events. Is it bad that it turned out to be less work to add the other, non-scouting events to this calendar than vice-versa?

Yah, just another sign that you're an addict, and raisin' a family of addicts Blancmange. ;)

Don't worry, da first step is always to recognize that yeh need help...

Of course it may just be that your family wasn't making full use of all of the wonderful events at the funeral home :) :)

Beavah

Yeah it's kinda bad when schedule such things as birthday parties, family vacations, and the night out for your anniversary around your Scouting calendar. Luckily the wife doesn't mind nme camping on her Bday, and she is willing to celebrate our anniversary after CSDC ;)

Hi my name is Eagle92, and I am a Scouting addict.

As long as you keep focused on the FAMILY part of the family calendar, you should be ok.

I f I coould just figure out a way to combine my work, pocket and scouting caendars that didn't require a Blackberry or hours of crosschecking and adding events to 3 calendars. . .

"I f I coould just figure out a way to combine my work, pocket and scouting caendars that didn't require a Blackberry or hours of crosschecking and adding events to 3 calendars"

I use google calendars. It allows you to have multiple sub-calendars, of which I have the following... Business 1, Business 2, Personal, Scouting, Birthdays/Anniversaries, as well as my religious holidays, US holidays, and the football schedules for teams I have tickets to.

I can share each of those with other people (e.g. parents, siblings, wife have full admin rights to the Birthdays/Anniversaries calendar), and I can follow my wife's calendar as well.

Without it, I wouldn't be able to keep my life straight. Oh yeah, and it syncs perfectly on my Android phone.

Blanc, Unless I am missing something, it sounds like the only difference is the calendar you are using and that you write less now for events that you did anyways.

Sounds like your family has found a golden activity. By that, You have an activity that you all enjoy, yet you can enjoy it as a family.

Usually , te two don't always mix.

My name is Scoutfish and I am an addict too.I go to scouting events at least once if nottwice a week. I have only forgotten to bring my son along only a few times! :)

Just kidding!

If you scheduled an OA dance presentation on your son's birthday, you might be a Scouting Addict.

If you go to a powwow with the OA on your wife's birthday, you might be a Scouting Addict.

If you go camping on your wife's birthday, you might be a Scouting Addict.

If your wife brings your birthday cake to the council camporee, you might be a Scouting Addict.

If you think taking your Cubs camping Mother's Day Weekend is a good idea so that mom has break, you might be a Scouting Addict. (OK pack leadership said NO to that one ;) )

If your wife wants to wait a week to celebrate your anniversary, because it's after CSDC so you won't be talkign about all the work you still need to do at dinner, you might be a Scouting Addict.

If your planning your vacation around the pack's summertime activities and CSDC, you might be a Scouting Addict.

If you schedule a babysitter so your wife can do a storytime at CSDC, you might be a Scouting Addict.

Last but not least...

If you had three different Scouting functions on the same day, each requiring different clothes, i.e. service project and hence scout t-shirt and work clothes, meeting needing a field uniform, and a new charter presentation with the dress uniform, AND you visit that cute librarian between functions. then you are a "mostly harmless," scouting professional. Hey the wife knew what she was getting into ;)

If you "celebrate" your husband's birthday by making reservations for the District Dinner, you might be a Scouting addict.

(It is always scheduled on the first Friday in March. His b-day is the 7th, so its either on or adjacent to the dinner. What's a girl to do? One year I made sure he got the Scouter Spouse award out of the deal.)

I'm UCEagle72 and I'm an addict ...

Although my wife insisted on this deal ... her birthday, the daughter's birthday, our anniversary are all verboten (she tried to get my birthday, but I insisted that since it was my birthday, I should be able to celebrate as I wish -- last year it was at RT).

For several years running my troop as a youth had a mother's day weekend camp out, always back early on Sunday, but it was well liked by all. Got the teen age sons out of the house for a bit better than 24 hours and yet home in time for Sunday dinner.

My primary calendar is the Scout council calendar.

So, yep, that puts me on the addict side.

Our OA section seems to always schedule its CoC meeting the same day as significant events in our council. This year the spring CoC is the same day/time as our University of Scouting, and our first in section NLS in many years is the same weekend as the council banquet.

Such is life.

My parents celebrated their 30th anniversary during a troop trip half way across the continent. Yep, they stayed in a tent their anniversary week, and even hiked up to over 10k ft on their anniversary itself. That isn't their usual sort of thing, but they sure have some good memories and pictures from that trip.

Hmph. I just meant this post as a mildly humorous anecdote, but ended up getting some useful information about using Google Calendars. I like that idea.

Yah, just another sign that you're an addict, and raisin' a family of addicts Blancmange.

I think there is a 12-step program for that. Oh wait, that's the Scout Law. (Apologies to anyone involved in a real recovery program).

Glad I could provide a useful suggestion. :-)

I find many of these amusing. Sadly, our district always sets the date for the dinner so late that in the 6 dinners since I've been a commissioner, I've never been able to attend one due to previous scheduling conflicts.