I agree that abbreviations are over used and underexplained here.

My suggestion: spell out and perhaps explain a term or program the first time you refer to it, and save the abbreviation for subsequent uses. That way the term will be understood, and the abbreviation will be learned as well.

I feel like I'm missing something. Was this a reaction to something in another thread?

On the general subject of acronyms in this forum, we do tend to throw them around as if a forum-reader whose Scouting experience consists of being a den leader for six months, or a youth member with no adult experience at all, is going to know what a "DE", "DC" or "CSE" (etc.) is. It's probably not the case for most, and even for some with more experience than that. We should be more careful about explaining the "code" a little more often, and we should probably stay away completely from the more ambiguous or non-intuitive two-letter codes used by the BSA (such as an Assistant Cubmaster being "CA" instead of "AC", while a Crew Adviser is apparently "NL" instead of "CA.")

We used to throw the term HSSA around whenever we noticed someone who was using too many acronyms. If someone asks me what an acronym means that they heard their Scoutmaster or Unit Commissioner use, I'll often explain, then mention that's their job as HSSA or "He who Speaks in Scouting Acronyms"

Perhaps one of the moderator's could pass this on to Scouter Terry, but a successful feature of other boards are the "sticky threads" features, that always show up at the top of the page. I would include an Acronym list as one thread, instructions for new posters in another, and maybe one or two more at the most so as not to clog the screen. Not sure if the current board software has that capability or not.

Of course - this still doesn't diminish the need to spell out Acronym's the first time their used.

YiS,

Gags

Please note that I simply concuring with another members observation when they wrote "Forgive my ignorance.....What does COR stand for. For that matter PLC, TC, CO. I have an idea but ahhh I am not sure". There are definitely those that feel uncomfortable not knowing what the abreviations mean and have been viewed as less knowledagable or experienced because they do not understand an acronym. I have a slightly different issue than many because I have Aspergers which often limits my ability to interpret (I read things VERY literally and nuance is easily lost) but there are others who also fail to comprehend the abbreviations because they have never been exposed to them. It is great if you know what it means but I will tell you that I spent quite a bit of time Googling before I came across the page that ScoutNut was kind enough to post but even the acronym link on that page is short compared to many I have read in the recent past. This site has become a go to tool for me and for my units but some of it can be daunting to comprehend but I guess that kids texting would probably laugh at us for using so many "whole words" and wasting so much time and energy! LOL I guess it is all a matter of perspective.(This message has been edited by Hawkrod)

I like Gags idea of having a small box ( that could be minimized or expanded) tha list all the SA's( Scout Acronyms) for 2 reasons:

For some that get used very little: we may not know them.

For those who want to use them, but use the wrong letters : MC, CA, etc...

Beyond that, I think the acronyms are a great idea...especially if you are talking about BOR's, EBOR's and SPL's and POR's at EBORs. By the time you type those words in whole a few times, you may double the time you type your post and double the size of your post!

"The DC introduced the DC who announced plans for DC training."

What? Sorry, wasn't paying attention because I was reading the DC ( detective Comics)comic book that I got at DC ( district Camp) while in DC( district of Columbia)