Are things really this bad?

After a hiatus from Scouting, I returned to the BSA ranks, this time as an adult leader. A few years afterward, I found out about this site, and it looked to be a great source for sharing ideas about ways to make what I felt to be a great program even better.

And I do believe that Scouting is a great program today. What I see today is at the Cub Scout level, it is certainly TONS more fun than when I was a Cub making macaroni crafts at the Den Mothers house. At the Boy Scout level, I see troops working where the boys were in charge and doing fun and adventurous stuff, completely unlike the top-down led, bookwork-focused program that I had plodded through.

But after just a few weeks here, it seemed that I was wrong. Ive learned that todays Boy Scouting sucks and Cub Scouting sucks even worse. Woodbadge sucks. National sucks. Its only a matter of time before this already-declining program goes the way of the dodo.

So I wondered, what are these apparent problems with the BSA traced to? Ive been able to glean some insight from lots of reading and have some definitive answers:

The problem is that Boy Scouts doesn't allow gays.

The problem is that the Boy Scouting program is "gay."

The problem is that Cub Scouts are integrated into the BSA Scouting program.

The problem is Boy Scouts dont integrate well with Cub Scouts in order to interest and retain boys.

The problem with Boy Scouts is that we treat them like older Cub Scouts.

The problem with Cub Scouts is that we treat them like younger Boy Scouts.

The problem is the Boy Scout program has changed over time to stray from its mission.

The problem is the Boy Scout program hasnt changed to be relevant or interesting to todays youth.

The problem is the program is behind the times when it comes to technology and youth interests.

The problem is the program panders to modern interests, like video games.

The problem is the program doesnt focus enough on traditional outdoor skills.

The problem is the program is too slow to incorporate modern methods and tools when it comes to the outdoors.

The problem is that the Cub Scouting program is focused too much on arts and crafts and inside activities. After all, these are young boys!

The problem is that the Cub Scouting program emphasizes camping too much. After all, these are young boys!

The problem is that BSA isnt co-ed to entice more recruits.

The problem is that BSA has a co-ed program that siphons off recruits.

The problem is that Scouting looks like a military, neo-Nazi organization.

The problem is that Scouting needs to look more like a military organization with uniforms that boys will think are cool.

The problem is that parents arent involved.

The problem is parents are too involved.

The problem is that Cub Scouting leaders are untrained and inexperienced.

The problem is that Wood Badge was opened to Cub Scout leaders who want to get more training and experience.

Well, quite soon I felt rather depressed. I mean, if its really this bad, this disorganized, and this systemically doomed to failure, why are we all committing all this time and personal energy to it? Do you even want your sons involved in something so misguided, misdirected, mismanaged as Scouting? (Not to mention homophobic, religiously intolerant, and racist?)

Well, maybe Im the minority, but I hope instead that Im part of a silent majority out there for whom things are, on the whole, going pretty well. Call me Pollyannaish, or say that I have my head stuck in the sand...

Finally, I want to extend my thanks to all the volunteers out there who keep the tradition going, and to those in these forums who have taken the time to provide helpful tips, answers, and resources.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

83 don't be depressed!

The REAL problem is we have a group of very opinionated people here. This might not be such a bad thing if it is done in a Scout like manner.

But sometimes it can get ugly and very un-Scout like.

Hopefully we take some information we find here and it helps our programs. If not this site is an entire waste of time.

Answer: things are NOT really this bad. Yeah, I also have a tough time with some of the things you listed but when I was CM, when some of those things would intrude into my thoughts, all I had to do was to make a quick glance at those beautiful (ok, maybe they were dirty) smiling faces on the boys being boys and I could easily set all that other stuff aside and focus on what was most important: the cubs, fun, learning, the outdoors, and the community. Like UCEagle72 said, the best stuff is local.

I've tried to raise my kids to measure small things with the big picture. As you say 83, scouting in the big picture is doing pretty good. But this is a forum where folks, for whatever reason, point out a flaw at a very small part ot the big picture and folks wanting to have dialog with folks of alike interest (passion) respond giving the discussion wheels. Sometimes we just need someone like you to bring us back to realiy.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

Scouting is still the greatest youth program around. The problem is when you get too involved in the politics of scouting on the council level and the national level it is enough to make you want to scream. IMO scouting has survived 100 years because there have been and still are enough leaders out there who say the heck with the half witted changes national/council tries to push through we are going to continue to deliver a tried and true quality program to the youth. When it really comes down to it it is not about the gays, uniforms, or even WoodBadge it is about maintaining and continuing the same standard of excellence and quality of program that Baden Powell envisioned many years ago. We can discuss/argue in this forum all of the political nonsense of the BSA we want, that's what forums like this are for, but when it comes to being in that den, pack, troop, or crew meeting with the youth it is all about them, their interests, developing their leadership skills, learning scoutcraft skills, but most important of all having a whole lot of FUN in the process.

As I was preparing for my January "Positive Attitude" Pack meeting, I remembered a story about two brothers. The family was poor, and they each in time would have to leave home to make a life for themselves. These two brothers were as unlike each other as night is unlike day. The older brother was mean and selfish, and he saw nothing good in the life around him. The younger brother had a kindly disposition and a generous heart, and never saw a fellow-creature in distress without trying to help him.

It was finally time for the older brother to set out to build a life for himself. One day, as he was approaching what looked to be a promising village, he came across an old man outside the village along the trail. The older brother asked the old man whether this village would be a good place for him to make a home. The old man asked, "What kind of place did you come from?" The brother said it was a awful place, with unfriendly, greedy people, and he was just glad to be away from there. The old man responded, "Well I expect you'll find about the same thing here." And the older brother went on his way.

It wasn't long after that the younger brother set out, coming to the same village and the same old man. When the old man asked, "What kind of place did you come from?" the young man said it was a fantastic place, where he had lots of great friends, generous neighbors, and overall the best place he could imagine. And the old man responded, "Well I expect you'll find about the same thing here." The younger brother stayed and made a great life in the village.

This story just seems to fit with this thread!!!

LOL. Yah, I agree with all of 83 Eagle's italicized points, eh? ;)

Yah, I think this is mostly just human nature. If yeh love your favorite sports team, odds are yeh dissect and criticize every game or coaching decision. No difference here.

Criticism happens only when yeh really care about somethin'. What will be truly sad is when Scouting is no longer interesting or relevant. At that point, rather than being criticized it'll just be ignored.

BadenP is right, eh? Sometimes (or often), da administrative and organizational side of Scouting in the U.S. can be ... disappointing. Nevertheless, Scouting as a movement is a fine thing - especially the scouting done by so many volunteers workin' with kids across the country and the world. You'll find very few adult scouters and committed scouts who aren't really fine folks.

No different here than da rest of the world, eh? Yeh should hear da folks from Scouts Canada ;).

Beavah

Funny how you said : "But after just a few weeks here, it seemed that I was wrong..."

I have entertained the idea that, while this is one of the most awesome online forum sites there is, and a great place to discuss various thoughts, ideas, opinions and an even greater place to explore other avenues or perceptions......this is NOT a site to go to before experiencing scouting!

I mean,if I wasn't invloved in scouting in any way, shape or form,and wanted to see it I would like it..This place would probablt make me avoid scouting like my life depended on it! :)

But as a scouter who got involved in scouting BEFORE discovering this site...well....it's just an extension of my pack. district, and council.

Some see the glass half full, some see it half empty, and other wonder if it's a blantant violation of G2SS to even allow glass products! :)

Great post. Love your sense of sarcasm amd style!

As you can see, I don't post much, but I do check out the forum often. I do have to thank all of you for your various viewpoints and often great ideas. I've seen where some of you have run into the same issues I see and it's interesting to see how you or your units approached them. Not saying that I used the same solutions, but it helped me consider things. I would agree with those that say this is probably not the first place someone should learn about scouts, but it is a great spot to get a feel for the passion....if you agree with someones idea or not or how they express it. I keep my focus on the boys as most of you do and I think that is the right way to go. I try to help out where I can, even at the district and council level, but still with my focus on the program for the boys and try to stay out of the political games....my time just isn't worth it. I think if kept in right perspective, this is a great program that I'm proud to be part of. Thanks to all of you, even if you didn't realize it.

"Well, my pack/troop/crew is doing great. But, there's that bunch over at XYZ place, and they are completely screwed up."

Could the problem be that some people are too much in other people's business?

Rollie,

Funny thing: Sometimes I have a way that I would handle things. I have formed opinions, thoughts and routines that are based on doing.

But every now and then, somebody will bring up a familiar situation, and somebody else will say something that makes me see the entire subject in a whole new light.

That is a priceless experience!