Scouting As A Program For Adults

We universally talk about Scouting as a youth program, but in my experience a good deal of Scouting is a program for adults.

It's a program that teaches parents a variety of ways to have fun with their children

It's a program that teaches parents ways to lead and inspire youth without holleriing and shouting. Or beating.

It's a program that often teaches parents about service to others by giving them opportunities and training for that kind of participation.

It's a program about being a good follower by encouraging participation in planning activities, signing up for activities and being on time for activities.

It's a program of teaching leadership through providing training and leadership experience.

We teach youth the Scout Law, but we are teaching parents the importance of those values and encouraging parents to adopt them for themselves.

Sooo, IS Scouting an adult program too? If so, should that fact be more widely recognized and made a more formal part of the program, or is it fine as a "stealth" program?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Scouting is a great program for adults and I know it has changed my life but I also find that for some adults Scouting is their life and that can be a problem. I have met several people who have Scout age kids that either do not participate, or are always taking a back burner while the parents are very involved. We have a couple right now that fit this mold and have had others in the past (one I actually removed from our unit). The problem is Scouting becomes their lives. These people are staffing Woodbadge but their kids are sitting at home playing video games. They do see the benefits of the program but they don't see that their own kids are not getting it! They are more concerned with what knots they are earning and not what ranks their kids are earning! It can be a fine line and for those that keep the proper perspective it is definitley a great experience but for those that cross the line, it can be a nightmare for the people in the swath of damage they leave around them. Those that do go to the dark side tend to be "dramatic", they manage to infiltrate every clique or group, something is always going on and they make sure they are in the middle of it. They can be very manipulative and their stories sound good until you are on the receiving end and you come to realize what kind of people they really are. Scouting is a great program for kids and lets involved parents socialize with like minded individuals but it has to be about the kids first and foremost and about the adults if there is time left over. To put this in perspective, as a UC and member of the DC there are a lot of meetings I am scheduled to be at but if my unit has something scheduled I have to be with the kids. It can be tough as so many adults will say "you must be there" and I say "sorry but the kids have planned an outing" and the response is almost universally "can't somebody else do it?" and sometimes they can but we only have a few adult leaders and even fewer that are fully trained so it is my job to make sure that the boys program comes before "my program". JMO

... I also find that for some adults Scouting is their life and that can be a problem.

As can be:

- Masonic

- The job

- A union

- A church

- A hobby

- A different civic organization

The list is virtually endless.

We should be thankful good people want to associate with other good people, all of whom have a in life of raising the next generation to be good people.

I think you may want to reread what I wrote, I did not imply that it IS a problem, I said it "can be" a problem. The issue is not the same as your other examples as those organizations do not exist for the benefit of the youth registered. Your comparing apples to oranges.

Anything/anyone, "can be" a problem -

A brand new volunteer who refuses to follow the program.

An "old timer" volunteer whose kids aged out years ago, and refuses to accept changes to the program.

A parent who is only interested in what their kid gets.

A volunteer (with, or without, kids in the program) with a "god complex" who feels that the unit is theirs and they are the only ones who can do things right.

A volunteer (with, or without, kids in the program) who spreads themselves so thin that none of the jobs they take on get done well.

A parent whose Scout child is a spoiled, aggressive, bully, and brat.

All the parents who refuse to volunteer in any way.

A volunteer who puts down another volunteer (and his parenting skills) who is giving up their time with their own family, and spending their own money, to help train him so he can give the boys in his unit the best program possible.

All of the above, and more, "can be" a "problem".

The BSA recognizes that volunteers are impacted by the program as well as youth. They commissioned the "Volunteer Outcomes Study" to discover why people volunteer with the BSA, and what they get out of their volunteering. The study found that the primary reason people volunteered was not to earn awards for themselves, but to "share their skills and values with young people." That is all young people, not just their own children.

The study also found -

"Overall, the findings suggest that volunteering for the Boy Scouts of America has helped people become better citizens, better parents, better managers/supervisors, and better employees."

You can read the study here -

http://www.scouting.org/FILESTORE/marketing/pdf/02-658.pdf

Watch it KC ... us Masons are watching you ... ;-)

That is one of the reasons I always like the Rover program ... really extends Scouting without the need to be an adult "leader."

And before you say it Kudu, I know BP Scouting has a Rovering program here in the States. ;-)

Seattle, I think Scouters can benefit in many of the ways you describe, but I don't think that necessarily makes it a program "for" adults. The boys are the intended beneficiaries of the program, and adults can benefit from it as well.

The problem is that many of the parents who could probably benefit the most (especially in your points about parenting skills) are the ones who do not participate at all. Or to put it another way, some of those who have the most to learn choose not to learn.

ScoutNut, I fully agree with what you are saying but I think you took what I said out of context. I was talking about problems directly related to adult volunteers who are in it for themselves, not for the benefit of the youth or more specifically, their own children who miss out on the program because of the parents type of involvement.

I will say that at times, my involvement has been an issue. Hopefully not in a negative way, but because I do as much as I do, my kids are "forced" to do more than they probably would on their own. Being program director at summer camp meant that my boys were there participating much more so than any other boys. Being an RSO means my boys go to various events where I have been asked to work and so they go several times every summer. Being on the District Committee means that my boys go to things that others don't and do things at a higher level than other boys. For example, our unit is regularly the top popcorn unit in our District, guess who did a ton of show and sells? We had a cell phone recycling contest, guess what unit won? Yes, for some it is a problem but the thing about it is that my boys have learned more and done more. It can be tough on a low effort parent who joins one of our units (we ALWAYS warn them and interview them in advance, we do refer people to other units on a weekly basis) but for the people who want their kids involved, we are the "go to" unit.

As far as problems for my boys, one of my sons was almost a 12 year old Eagle (he will be a 13 yo Eagle) and there are many that would have issues with that and originally the idea bothered me. Unlike most 12 yo's he is very mature and the age issue was not really a problem for those that know him but others put a lot of effort into tearing him down. I was accused (by the same people I mentioned in my post above) of signing off his merit badges and advancement. Unfortunately I had to prove otherwise but lucky for me it was easy as he had earned all but one merit badge (he has over 20) at various camps. Not many 12 yo's have been to 6 or 7 resident camps but my son has. He went to Jambo and he was voted Chaplain's Aide by his Troop, he placed in the county science fair, was a top student at his school and is a brown belt in Shotokan Karate. He is not a normal kid which is part of why I am here doing this. Am I a problem parent? Yes, in some ways I am but never at the expense of the youth program other than the fact that I expect more of my sons and the boys in my units than most do. And you know what? The boys haved yet to let me down! Our leaders have the honor of working with some truly awesome boys that are strong, independent, self reliant leaders that have a "can do" attitude even in the face of adversity. We are not teaching skills, the boys are learning skills by living the dream. They are eager to get out there and do it, much more so than many others I have worked with.

Yes, any parent can be a problem but from what perspective? In our organization, the problem parent is the one that prevents the boys from getting the most they can out of the program.

UCEagle72,

If I wanted to be under Matt 18 church discipline by my Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod Pastor so fast my head would swim, all I'd have to do is announce I was joining a Blue Lodge. ;-)

Watch all you want ... I'll be at PTC for Relationships Week 2012

How do I say this delicately? Well, I guess I don't know so I will just say it straight up

Scouting is for the Youth, But unless the Adults are not having a good time, the future is limited

Now, having a good time is open to interpretation. I have had fun being a waiter at a Council event, helping run Camporees, etc because I was with people I respect and enjoy being around. When adult find little pleasure in scoting, there will be issues

Yes Scouting is for the boys but there is nothing iherently wrong with scouting being (also) a program that is for adults. There is nothing inherently wrong with adults volunteers (also) being personally ambitious as it relates to the earning of knots and whatnot.

We can't ask for, or bemoan the lack of, volunteers on one hand, and then begrudge those same volunteers for (also) claiming a personal stake in the program.

83Eagle, I fear again, my comment was taken out of context. I never said there was something wrong with working towards knots, I said there was something wrong with adults more concerned with earning knots than their own sons earning rank. When a parent has a youth in the program but that youth is not participating BECAUSE the parent is then it is a problem.

I am having a hard time seeing how adults joining an organization where they agree to live by the Scout Oath and Law can be a bad thing. Yes, there are a few bad apples, as there are in any organization. Key word - few.

Hawkrod - a Scout should set his own goal for advancement, the goal shouldn't be set by his parents. I fail to see how a Scoutmaster going to training and serving loyally for three years (earning him the Scoutmaster Key) would have anything to do with the rank of his son. If the SM's son decided Scouting just wasn't his thing, are you saying the SM should resign?