For the second year, I will be moderating a course at our council Commissioner College on Innovation in Scouting. The idea is to look at how new ideas or practices are implemented, and how affected people react to changes. The discussion will focus on (a) an example of an innovation in Scouting that has already occurred, and (b) a current problem that could use an innovative solution. For (a), I'm thinking of using Leave No Trace. For (b), I'm considering the Webelos-To-Scout transition. I'd appreciate some other suggestions or comments.

Dan K.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just allowing volunteers, you know the ones in the trenches to leave feedback on the BSA Innovation Engine website would be a start. They said over a year ago they would implement volunteers being able to leave feedback, but instead did something where you can't even get on the site now to see what being proposed or read the feed back. The only way I know what being proposed is because I was able to sign up for an email to be sent before they close the site completely down to have to sign in with an employees sign on.

The Red Cross and BSA partnered to create a new Wilderness First Aid course this past year to help make camping and treks safer.

Seems like the 'mandatory training' for registration might fit into the discussion.

The Journey to Excellence quality program replacing the Quality Unit Award program - http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Awards/JourneyToExcellence.aspx

Figuring out meaningful metrics for the 'Active' advancement requirement might benefit from an innovative solution.

Scout On

http://ScoutChallenge.com

One of our district commissioners started a Webelos Transition day about 6 years ago that I think has proven successful. The Webelos and their parents sign up for the event which is held on a Saturday morning in a local park. With the help of troop volunteers, district troops man several stations and the Webelos are arranged into dens and rotate amongst the different stations learning basic T123 skills taught by Boy Scouts. The parents get a chance to "smooze" the different troop leaders and ask specific questions about troops or general questions about Boy Scouts. Later a lunch is served.

This replaced a "meet the troops night" that was intially organized for Webelos leaders to meet various troops but the event showed a declining interest - from both troops and Webelos - year after year.

"Just allowing volunteers, you know the ones in the trenches to leave feedback on the BSA Innovation Engine website would be a start."

Oh, no no no!! We can't have that. If they wanted our opinions, they would have told us what they should be.

"They said over a year ago they would implement volunteers being able to leave feedback, but instead did something where you can't even get on the site now to see what being proposed or read the feed back."

Over a year ago??? I was told this back at the National Meeting in 2009. That's close to 2 years ago. Oh, but we could have some local pro upload our comments for us. Yeah, like that's going to happen.

Be nice if the BSA would learn the concept of transparency.

Gary,

The fact is that there are too many zealots to have meaningful contributions to the BSA site. Look around this place. Training zealots have already permeated most elements of the BSA.

Camp school syllabbi have gotten a major re-write thanks to both executives and volunteer Scouters.

I don't blame the BSA for wanting to control methods of input from the field.

(a) an example of an innovation in Scouting that has already occurred

Yah, how about da changes to WB21C?

Or the move from JLT to da current more abbreviated TLT?

I bet yeh could get Kudu to comment ;)

(b) a current problem that could use an innovative solution.

How about da lack of effectiveness of the Commissioner Corps in many (most?) areas?

Decline in camp use and revenues?

Beavah

For (b), how about maintaining healthy relationships between unit leaders and their COs? Some folks have these already; many more do not. COs that are "on paper only" tend to result in weak units that end up needing a lot more commissioner service. THough Beavah's thoughts about making the commissioner service functional also sound good to me.

Beavah writes:

I bet yeh could get Kudu to comment

Yeah, "Innovation" is usually shorthand for "Let's replace Scoutcraft competency with the newest toxic bundling management fad." :)

So I would package retro-innovation as a brand new management theory:

Our Congressional Charter Centennial is coming up, start banging that drum:

The Three Purposes of Scouting: Our True Timeless Values:

1. To promote the ability of boys to do things for themselves and others;

2. To train them in Scoutcraft;

3. To teach them patriotism, courage, self-reliance, and kindred virtues, using the methods that were in common use by Boy Scouts on June 15, 1916

http://inquiry.net/adult/bsa_federal_charter.htm

Might be hard to relate that to Webelos to Scout transition, since so many Cub Packs filter out the boys and adults who would love Scoutcraft and the BSA's official values (self-reliance).

How about "Ex-Webelos to Scout Transition"?

Cub Scout dropouts make better Charter Centennial Boy Scouts than boys who suffer through all those years of sock puppets and classroom citizenship:

http://inquiry.net/adult/recruiting.htm

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

I see that once again nay sayers who appear to oppose any innovation since 1916 are proposing to stamp out the very idea of innovation in Scouting.

Sad. What I see are a few people trying to turn the Boy Scout Charter into Holy Writ and turning the early innovators that produced Scouting in the first place into gods whose words should not be questioned or adapted to meet the needs of the day. Of course were they to take their own rhetoric seriously we would have to start by closing down the Cub Scout program, which wasn't a method in 1916.

This does tend to support the idea that the words and programs of the Chief Scout Executive need to be given a careful hearing and that ideas appropriate to various council and districts be adopted when appropriate.

Dan, I think your example of Leave-No_trace is a good one. The original methods of Scouting used in 1916 proved over time to need to be adapted to fit current circumstances, and this kind of program is an example of how that leadership from the Chief Scout Executive has permeated all levels of Scouting.

I've seen efforts to manage the Webelos-to-Scout transition at the Troop, Pack and District level. I haven't seen any magic bullets. Good programs usually result from Troops on the lookout for their next batch of boys, and who cultivate Cub Scout packs encouraging them to do suitable kinds of things.

Personally, I'd be glad to see some innovation in that area. Some units do their best, but many others don't have a clue. And constructing an effective Webelos program is difficult for many weaker packs to do.

>>Personally, I'd be glad to see some innovation in that area. Some units do their best, but many others don't have a clue. And constructing an effective Webelos program is difficult for many weaker packs to do.

Here's my effort to promote improved Webelos programs for Cub Packs:

Hello Cub Scout Leaders,

Happy New Year! And may your Dens and Packs be growing in the months to come!

At our Aquila District Roundtable on Thursday, January 13th, one of the district's most talented Cubmasters (and now a talented Scoutmaster for Troop 282), Mike Grueter, will be talking about "What to Do With Webelos!"

"By the time a Cub Scout hits Webelos age, they've probably done most of the annual Pack activities a couple times, and are looking for new adventures. They'll also be eyeing the Boy Scout program, but may have questions or concerns. We'll give you some great ideas to spice up your Webelos program and avoid the "been there done that" syndrome. We'll also provide good suggestions on learning more about Boy Scouts and getting your Scouts excited about crossing over."

The Cub Scout Roundtable is from 7:30-8:30 PM on the second Thursday of each month at the LDS Church at 14020 Ambaum Bvd SW in Burien.

Please forward this e-mail to your Pack leaders, Bear and Webelos Den Leaders!

Upcoming Roundtable Programs:

February 10th Luis Garcia "Recruiting and Retaining Hispanic Youth"

March 10th Will Skubi Spring Recruiting Workshop