be careful traveling fayette county wv

Traffic cameras to face tough road in Mukilteo

Voters approved a Tim Eyman ballot measure that makes it tough for the city of Mukilteo to install traffic-enforcement cameras.

By Sean Collins Walsh

Seattle Times staff reporter

Related

Mukilteo voters approved a Tim Eyman ballot measure that makes it tough for that city to install traffic-enforcement cameras.

Early returns showed the measure had 70 percent approval.

The measure requires a two-thirds majority of the City Council as well as voter approval before red-light cameras can be installed. Fines from camera-enforced tickets would be limited to $20.

Mukilteo, which hasn't installed any traffic cameras, is the first Washington city to put the issue before voters.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2013329088_elexredlight03m.html

Im from Louisiana, and for many years on Hwy 71 just as you got to the Tioga Exit. There was a small rise int eh road. It was 55-65 driving, and then the second you crossed the rise it hit 35 mph. The local Sheriff Deputy would sit there, flash his lights and give you a hand signal to pull over. He was parked already at a spot that he didnt need to drive. YOu just pulled in behing him. He hit me up one day, and I got a 95.- ticket. I went teh same day tot eh SHeriffs depts, and gave them my License, Registrations, Proof or insurqnce and my militry ID card. The Sheriff was in, and he happened to be standing at teh couter when I arrived, The Clerk handed him my paper work, and he tore the ticket up. THen said that cities shouldnt be giving young soldiers tickets when we were out serving our country. Nice of him.. ONly a couple fo years ago did I find that they finally stopped the game witht eh speed trap. Yes, my small home town of Dry Prong, La. is also a speed trap, but like Fish said, if your from the town, and your children play in teh small streets, and cross busy roads to get something at teh store then you as a citizen of that town respect teh speed limit. But the big shot city folks come racing down there and get ticketed...

I do think there is a big difference between a speed trap and a change in speed limits. A speed trap would be as described above, a sudden change in speed limits that can't be seen in normal situations. If you are driving along legally and the speed limit is 60 and you come up a rise and behind the hill is a 35 MPH sign and you can't possibly slow fast enough after seeing the sign then that is a trap. If the sign is hidden behind a bush, pole or other sign (I have actually seen this one!) then it is a trap. There has to be a reasonable effort to make the driver aware of changes in speed limits or it is a trap. JMO

Lest anyone think this phenomenon is limited to the south or rural areas I can say I've seen an increase in traffic enforcement here in New England and in the urban areas of Cambridge and Boston. I have no illusions that a sudden interest by local law enforcement in public safety is the prime motivator for this activity.

SA

In Florida, major roadways are required to have "Reduced Speed Ahead" signs as a warning of an upcoming drop in the speed limit. I can't tell you how many times those signs have kept me from needing to slam on the brakes (or speed past) because of a speed limit sign that otherwise would have been obscured by a curve or elevation in the roadway.

I have no problem with lowering speed limits for safety. But gaming the system so law enforcement can raise revenue is something else entirely.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

But do you disagree with what I wrote? There used to be a place where the speed limit dropped 25 MPH but the lower speed limit sign (which was less than 1/4 mile from the higher one) was directly behind a larger yellow diamond warning sign. The poles for the two signs were only about a foot apart and directly in line with each other. To me that is intent on somebodies part. It took intervention of the SAG to get it fixed.

Yah, I've been through Fayette County, eh? They are obnoxious.

Here's another fun one that I picked up from another northern Midwest state. About the only tale I know of where the State Police are actively goin' around and changin' local speed limits to eliminate speed traps:

http://detnews.com/article/20100427/METRO05/4270380/Many-speed-limits-set-too-low

Traffic enforcement is quite a revenue generator. Pays for lots of cops, judges, insurance company revenues, and even puts a few bucks in attorneys' pockets defendin' the poor fellow who has to drive a lot for his job and accumulates too many points funding these localities.

Beavah