New to Forum from North Carolina

Hello all,

I have been lurking for a while and I suppose I should introduce myself.

I am Scoutmaster for a small troop (one patrol). Been in Scouting since First Grade (except for a gap from my late twenties until I rejoined with my nephew). Eagle Scout. Order of the Arrow chapter, lodge, and section officer as a youth. Overtrained: Every course you can imagine for Boy Scout leaders including Wood Badge (I used to be a Beaver).

My troop has combined forces with another small troop with great success. We function as one troop but with two charters. I have realized over the years that you are never too old to learn something new, so I expect that I can receive as much as I might contribute.

If I can be of assistance to any of you, particularly if you are in North Carolina, please let me know. It's all about servant leadership!!

Packhound if you looked in the Piedmont you could find me.

Here's to the land of the long leaf pine,

The summer land where the sun doth shine,

Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great,

Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!

wingnut says, "No such thing, it's a large troop with several openings."

I like the way you think.

packsaddle says, "Went to NC State."

"Where the winds of Dixie softly blow..." Spent my freshman year of college at NCSU.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Hey Packhound, welcome to the forum. Quite a few Southerners here. I like the idea of joining forces with another small troop in your area. We've tried to do that also, but the other small troops haven't shown any interest.

Wingnut, I like your saying - only a large troop with several openings. I'm going to use that if it's OK with you? We have nine Scouts at the moment but a good bunch of Webelos on the way. Yep, guess they are filling those openings.

gwd,

It sounds to me like you have a good foundation. If you continue to get new boys you should be fine. As far as joining with other troops, I wouldn't recommend going as far as we did yet. You might have your SPL get with the SPL of another "small" troop and plan some joint outings. I found lots of benefits from that early on.

Our reason for blending the units was to provide an opportunity for our boys to get to know the other troop with the intention of looking for a place for them. I and the other leader (mostly just the two of us) saw the signs that we were struggling and most likely would not survive another year. (When I became a part of this troop three years ago, we only had two boys coming to meetings. We worked that up to six, but only really recruited two boys during that time.) We has done some joint outings with the other troop and so we had history together. We really would like to think that we can keep the troop alive, but in reality that probably wont happen for several reasons.

But I think that you will find many benefits from doing some joint activities with another troop. Good luck.

Yeah GWD, there are quite a few of us from the South. It would be interesting to try to get together sometime, maybe see which state has the best BBQ or something like that. Why do I always seem to gravitate to food topics? But I do love BBQ.

Packhound, I graduated in '71. I'm guessing that was a while before you were there.